Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 20, 2023 04:03PM

https://religionnews.com/2023/05/19/one-in-four-us-mormons-has-thought-about-leaving-the-lds-church-study-shows/

Mormons score high on many tokens of religiosity, like prayer, attendance, and visiting with clergy, but they were also highest of all the major religious categories, on having considered leaving their church.

I had to smile at their high "visits with clergy" rating - what other churches have mandated bishops interviews for tithing, temple recommends, receiving callings, etc? Of course Mormons visit with clergy a lot.

They also pray a lot because they get called on to pray in church meetings.

But a lot of them have considered bailing on Mormonism. I keep telling y'all, all these scandals leave a mark.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 20, 2023 04:07PM

how many mormons thought about drinking coffee ?

Date: May 20, 2023 04:17PM

The soft drink chains in Utah that sell "dirty" sodas (i.e. sodas with a shot of half & half added) should come up with something like a "Double Dirty Missionary Position", i.e. a cherry coke with a shot of half & half and a shot of coffee.

And yes, the names of their sodas are that silly. I kid you not.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: May 20, 2023 04:20PM

Considering that only about 1/4 of the total member count is active I think there numbers are flawed.

Date: May 20, 2023 04:35PM

I think the survey respondents were active members. It would be pretty strange to ask people who had left a denomination if they had ever considered leaving.

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: May 20, 2023 04:58PM

"PRRI’s survey, conducted in August of 2022, canvassed a sample of 5,872 American adults, of whom 94 identified as LDS (1.6% of the total sample). While the margin of error is high with any small subgroup, the results are thought provoking."

COMMENT: The article you cite, and the underlying "survey" is ludicrous, and I am surprised and disappointed that you would highlight either. There is no meaningful LDS conclusion that can be drawn from a survey encompassing 94 members. By any professional statistical standard, the results are not even worthy of being "thought-provoking." (As I am sure you know!)

Its only value is as Ex-Mormon rhetoric, so I will give you that.

Date: May 20, 2023 05:58PM

Sounds like somebody needs a drink. Or has had one. Hard to tell the difference sometimes. ;)

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: May 20, 2023 09:55PM

Sounds like somebody needs a drink. Or has had one. Hard to tell the difference sometimes. ;)

COMMENT: O.K. You're probably right, I may be a little edgy tonight. (Or in general) But for a guy who spends a lot of time on RfM teaching us math and criticizing "studies," often on formal statistical grounds (and rightly so), it seemed a little odd for you to jump on this clearly bogus "survey" bandwagon.

Just saying. Carry on.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 20, 2023 08:19PM

there are in the smaller communities around here. Nibley, Utah has a dirty drink place. I saw another one recently that really blew my mind.

I'd bet it is more than 1 in 4 who have thought about leaving the church.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 20, 2023 08:37PM

Movie sequel to the movie "Dirty Dancing" ... "Dirty Drinking".

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 20, 2023 09:01PM

Do you know what's weird about this statistic?

Because I refuse to resign from the church, it means I am lumped in with the 3 US mormon who have NOT thought about leaving the LDS church!

So, I, a rabid anti-mormon-church activist, am statically supporting the church in this particular statistical instant.

Interesting, isn't it?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 20, 2023 09:27PM

Absolutely fascinating. Thank you for sharing.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 20, 2023 09:52PM

"Give, give, give!" said the Little Stream...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 20, 2023 10:28PM

:-)

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 21, 2023 08:13AM

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

- George Carlin

I assume the survey polled active Mormons. Those who already left, the majority (2/3 of the 16 million), didn’t stick around to consider leaving but not.

They probably stay for relationships. It's like staying with a spouse who has a terminal disease. But the church keeps hanging on. It will outlive you.

Posted by: I ( )
Date: May 24, 2023 11:35PM

The other 3/4ths have only dreamed of it!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.