Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 23, 2023 01:08PM

And that stands for something like a church building a huge structure in a quiet scenic neighborhood.

https://www.codyenterprise.com/news/local/article_0e2a6f1e-f8d4-11ed-acea-4318005dec25.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 23, 2023 01:13PM

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 23, 2023 01:53PM

I really think they ought to give some thought to mobile temples- especially in places like Wyoming.

Date: May 23, 2023 02:43PM

I'm an advocate for "home temples." Get as weird as you like and submit names via the Internet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2023 02:44PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: May 23, 2023 02:18PM

I suspect that there is a fair amount of money at stake here.

I also wouldn't be surprised to learn that in the preceding months, there have been land purchases made by those "in the know" surrounding this location in hopes that they can make a fast buck by re-selling that land to mormons who want to live close to the temple.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 23, 2023 04:00PM

The church has bobbed and weaved on this one.

The meeting scheduled for the 24th has been cancelled as the church pulled its petition.

The church then served notice it will resubmit the exact same petition asking for an approval meeting in June.

Presumably the church hopes by playing this game, resistance will die down and they'll get what they want including an exception to the height requirement and the dark sky laws.

For an organization that says they respect the laws of the land they sure do go to great lengths and expense to get exceptions.

I hope they get turned down.

Date: May 23, 2023 05:10PM

Dark sky laws... Seeing the firmament must not be that important anymore...

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 23, 2023 09:46PM

To me it's the audacity to demand waivers and exceptions too al laws. No respect whatsoever for the citizens of these towns and their way of life.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 23, 2023 04:33PM

Maybe the church with score more points if they they revealed a new septic treatment plant; with free service for the neighborhood for 50 years.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: May 24, 2023 04:28AM

The Newport Beach CA citizens had to get confrontational with the mormons on the Mormon temple built there. The city wanted them to do some minor changes to the color, height and lighting. Of course the mormons WHINED and complained to no ends about the changes. In the end the church quietly built the steeple higher than they had agreed to.

Mitt Romney acted the same way when La Jolla would not let him make the beach between his house and the ocean private property. He built a monstrosity on the property that is a cliff with the view of the ocean but he just HAD to have his beach private. The city said "no".

Frankly, he and Ann ruined the whole neighborhood--- long time residents couldn't see the beach at all.

Good for Cody. Put up the good fight and tell them to be respectful of the citizens already there.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 24, 2023 11:01AM

Belmont, Massachusetts, home to the Boston temple, fought back as well. The church had to restrict the height of the steeple.

Citizens can fight back to enforce their local zoning laws. They just need to have the willpower to do so.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: May 24, 2023 01:20PM

Erda, UT did the same thing. They fought back hard since the area was zoned for 1 Acre lots, dark sky's, and horse property. The church wanted to build a bunch of small lots and townhomes around the Temple to the tune of over 200 new homes. Since the church owned all the land, it would have been a huge cash windfall for them.

However, what is interesting is they moved the Temple to Tooele, UT onto land that was "suddenly" donated to them. Building it on a dead end street, deep into a residential neighborhood, with no direct main road access. Now it towers over everything, and looks way out of place. But behind it is lots and lots of open land.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 24, 2023 01:47PM

> But behind it is lots
> and lots of open land.

You'd have saved precious pixels by typing "lots and lots of lots."

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: May 24, 2023 02:06PM

That be true, but I should have added "Lots" and "lots" of money.

Sure bet the person who donated that parcel to the church for the temple, owns all that open land behind it, and plans to make Lots of Lots, and Lots of money.

For the Church its Lots of Lots of people on Lots who pay Lots of 10% tithing.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 24, 2023 02:24PM

Gladys is probably giddy!  She loves Lot.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 26, 2023 03:29PM

Lots and lots of Lot, even in the parking--

Nay, I shan't go there.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 24, 2023 03:21PM

I remember the Belmont Temple fight. The neighborhood was furious.

Mormon towns get all tingly when a temple is announced. Most of the rest of the world considers them to be an imposition at best - too tall, too big, too ugly, wrong scale for the neighborhood, too much traffic for residential streets, yada yada. All valid points.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 24, 2023 04:12PM

They move into a non Mormon controlled "zone" and then expect everyone to "respect" their mindset-

At the beach- Please put some clothes on, your bikini is offensive.

At work- The smell of coffee is nauseating in the office, can there be a no coffee rule in the work zone?

I ran out of ideas, my head is too congested to think today- Messy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.