Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: May 25, 2023 12:26PM

A dear ex-mo friend decided to tour this temple during the open house, just because.

He noticed that many of the finishing touches were sloppy. Then he looked more closely at the "stained glass windows". There was glass in the outer panes, but the colored parts were made of plastic! The work was sloppy, too, but from a distance the windows looked fine.

I think it's a great metaphor for mormonism in general.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: May 25, 2023 12:28PM

Are we not able to edit our posts any more?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 25, 2023 12:40PM

Only if you're 'signed in'...

Upon a second reading, I found nothing to fault.

If you were intending to capitalize "mormonism", it's fine the way you wrote it.

If you wanted to add more, you'd just be gilding the lily...

...mormonism: sloppy work in progress...  a hodge-podge of hodge-podgery.

Date: May 25, 2023 01:20PM

I am logged in and not seeing the edit option. I missed the "s" at the end of Springs.... I won't capitalize mormon or any form of the that word.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 25, 2023 02:24PM

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: May 25, 2023 02:06PM

Like any other large scale contractor, in order to met deadlines and keep costs down, you go cheap, take shortcuts, and hire at the lowest wage possible knowing the skill level correlates.

Sloppy is todays norm for any structure that is built.

What I am curious about is when Christ walks that temple per all those urban legends, is he going to tap those plastic panels, take a deep sigh, and go appear before ole Rusty and ask him why he thinks plastic is considered the finest of materials?

Maybe the response will be. "Well, we have to cut corners in order to build that hedge fund, so on your return you can have two large Sprites instead of one, as you look across your kingdom of two-thirds burned and destroyed while the rest of us all grovel at your feet and ask if you want us to buy that newest model of Mercedes for you."

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 28, 2023 04:59PM

My dad was an architect/builder who built luxury homes. He complained constantly you couldn't get the quality in fixtures and craftsmen that you used to. Out of frustration he quit that business and went into real estate.

None of the modern temples impressed my dad much.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 25, 2023 02:10PM

Bring back the amusement park !

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: May 28, 2023 04:38PM

I think cutting corners is why they had to close down multiple temples less than 20 years after they opened. In 2017, the church closed down Oklahoma City (opened in July 2000), Memphis (opened in April 2000) and Ascuncion (opened in May 2002) all for extensive two year renovations. At least in the case of Oklahoma City, the renovation took longer than the initial construction. So yeah, there is definitely precedence for the church building temples on the cheap.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 28, 2023 05:01PM

That's really bizarre. The average elementary school can go 40-50 years before you need to renovate it. I can see a temple periodically needing fresh carpet, paint, and a deep clean, but if it's built well, it shouldn't need anything beyond that.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 28, 2023 05:07PM

They had to close down several temples because the water barrier material in the outside walls let moisture in and trapped it. The wood framing in the exterior walls rotted.

When they started tearing down one of them you could see it was all wood framed including the steeple.

One problem is you can't build buildings the same. What you might be able to get away with in a dry climate in Utah might be a disaster in a humid climate like Memphis.

Anyways they are on the house of Legos model now. I can't wait to see what kind of disaster rears its head from using modules.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 29, 2023 04:02PM

If it's high quality plastic then it might last 5 years or more.

I'm just waiting for the beautiful statue of Christ to be made of long wearing tin foil.

Given the nature of church members to "gift" non-members with the cheapest unwanted rubbish (like painting used plastic milk jugs with festive xmas colors for homemade ornaments or paper chain junk), I think it's appropriate for the temple to be adorned with crummy knick-knacks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.