Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 04, 2023 07:08PM

I am the first to claim that teachers teach the curriculum. No, we don't invent what we teach on the spot. We teach what we are told to teach, when to teach it. But long ago, a high school teacher friend said that good teachers have a subversive quality to them. I recalled this in response to Florida's current effort to inject the Bible into public school instruction. One Florida English Language Arts teacher notes --

"Grade 11 standard: Analyze how key elements enhance or add layers of meaning and/or style in a literary text - and I can use 2 Samuel. So I can talk about how King David murdered his best friend to sleep with his wife and break down those key elements.

Grade 7: Analyze the impact of setting on character development and plot in a literary text.: Book of Esther. Could talk how in that time women were only viewed at based on their sexuality and looks and how Esther was selected for no other reason than how she looked. Compare that to modern day America."

Isn't teaching fun? :D Far be it from a teacher to not comply with the state standards. Good luck with that, Florida.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 04, 2023 07:26PM

Because jesus spoke english !

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 04, 2023 07:36PM

The Bible did get them through the Civil War. Without a Bible there may not have been the war, But what then are Holy books for?

Are we still teaching poetry that rhymes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2023 07:38PM by bradley.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.