Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kolobetrotter ( )
Date: October 12, 2015 01:48PM

Hi, I am looking for happy valley (provo/orem/Utah valley) therapists that are ex-mo or no-mo or very open minded, non-biased Mormon.

Thank you for any suggestion. Not looking for SLC or north therapists.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: October 12, 2015 05:15PM

not sure your reasons, but Jon skidmore is really good, in orem. lds but VERY open minded about it and if you left he gets it and never bugs about it.

If he can't help you I don't really know of any others that fit the bill. I could give you some definite no's to.

He can also give you some names that would work.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: October 12, 2015 08:40PM

www.post mos.org

look under the resources tab.

Posted by: Anon for this one ( )
Date: October 13, 2015 02:21AM

he does not believe that religion has any place in counseling, unless the person is having difficulty with a religious issue, and then he tries to get at it from the person's own religious perspective.

We had a case in our city where a divorced woman was referred to a particular counselor by a court order. The therapist opened the session with a prayer and made many references to Jesus and the Bible. The client said repeatedly that she was not religious and objected to it being part of the session. The therapist ignored her. The woman asked the court to allow her to see another therapist. They refused. (It's too bad, because my DH does precisely this kind of counseling, and he is good at it.)

The woman finally white-knuckled it through the required number of sessions, and then went to a local station who blew up the incident big-time.

If you want and need a religion-based therapist, fine. Otherwise, it should not be an issue.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: October 13, 2015 05:37AM

Experience has taught me to never go to a Mormon therapist. No exceptions.

Never do business with Mormons. Their whole philosophy of life is based on deceit.

If a therapist tells an ex-Mormon patient that religion has nothing at all to do with any of their fears, phobias, and other hang-ups, that therapist is being deceitful. A good therapist is mindful of the patient's upbringing and environment, and the child-raising practices and beliefs of his parents.

A religion-based therapist? Huh? Do you mean a clergyman or a bishop? What if a patient has a sex problem? Would you send him to a sex-based therapist?

Posted by: RobinSaintCloud ( )
Date: October 16, 2015 08:20PM

That's a bit judgemental. There are exceptions and many good Mormons. As a past member myself, I have gone through my own struggles with people. There are many great therapists in utah and some not so great. John Skidmore is a great therapist and is extremely professional and open minded. I'm sorry your experiences were crappy and I once upon a time would have believed the same thing. I also am a therapist, non mormon, ex mormon and know many great therapists who do not let what they believe interfere with their professional practice.I am robins wife and had to speak my truth. Thanks for listening.

Posted by: RobinSaintCloud ( )
Date: October 16, 2015 08:28PM

There was many things you said that has been my experience and I'm just saying not all therapists are like that. You are so right that our upbringing and life experiences have everything to do with our issues,beliefs and perspectives. Pick a therapist that will work for what you need. I've lived here a long time and still am amazed at some people. Thanks

Posted by: deen ( )
Date: June 18, 2023 08:46AM

I heartily endorse http://truetherapy.org/services/individual-therapy/ since they really assisted me in overcoming my depression. I've been working with them for ten years. I occasionally experience trauma.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.