Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 03, 2023 02:26PM

There you have it. The prophets were right. Coffee is different. It clearly is the devil helping you.

"Taking into account that some of the effects that we found were reproduced by caffeine, we could expect other caffeinated drinks to share some of the effects,” added Picó-Pérez. “However, others were specific for coffee drinking, driven by factors such as the particular smell and taste of the drink, or the psychological expectation associated with consuming that drink.”
https://scitechdaily.com/brewing-clarity-the-unique-neurological-effects-of-coffee-over-plain-caffeine/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: July 03, 2023 03:05PM

I believe all things. I believe I'll have a diet coke this afternoon.

Date: July 03, 2023 08:57PM

Hopefully not too become more alert.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: July 03, 2023 09:32PM

Didn't you know that aspartame is a hallucinogen?

Date: July 06, 2023 09:27PM

I didn't. Is it in colas?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 06, 2023 09:35PM

That would explain Thomas S Monson.

Posted by: rice ( )
Date: July 03, 2023 04:04PM

coffee raises blood pressure.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 06, 2023 07:05PM

Marginally and for about three hours. And that is only in people who don't drink it habitually.

In habitual drinkers, there is virtually no effect on blood pressure.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 03, 2023 09:08PM

Just me?

Tobacco was a Direct Hit by Joey, even if others suspected it at same time.

Coffee has multiple scientific opinions / findings, so it is somewhat unresolved scientifically.

I fail to see any benefit other than social & a slight buzz caffeine gives.

When I'm driving more than a few hours I take a cola or a Mt. Dew.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2023 09:08PM by GNPE.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 06, 2023 07:57AM

I disagree, GNPE. There are dozens of studies supporting coffee as a healthful drink, and only a few that state otherwise.

Probably the main problems with coffee are the cream and sugar that many people put in it.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: July 06, 2023 07:24PM

Actually, coffee can be good or bad, depending on the person. For most people, in fact, it's fine. However, for a few of us (and I have to include myself as I have this problem) who have major acid reflux issues, anything with caffeine including coffee, chocolate, and soft drinks is very much a no-no. Drinking these products forces the stomach to create more acid when it is already too full of acid.

For the record, I used to drink it and I liked it hot and black. But I haven't touched the stuff since (I think) 2016, and I expect that, with the exception of stress tests in a hospital or clinical setting, I won't be drinking it again as long as I live.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 03, 2023 10:11PM

The early saints drank coffee. Joseph said "hot drinks". What about iced coffee?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 04, 2023 05:12PM

I didn't have to keep drinking coffee because my liver is okay after no longer having to take a statin, but it is suggested to have 3 cups of coffee a day to help with your liver. It has to have the caffeine in it.

Myself, I'm drinking a Diet Pepsi. I changed from Diet Coke a few years ago. Been drinking it since my kids were 1 and they are 37. My husband didn't like me drinking it as it was one of those things he felt was diminishing his ability to avoid temptation. I thought that was choice. After all he was cheating, NOT I.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: July 06, 2023 05:47AM

The Word of Wisdom was not a major deal in the church until prohibition. Before that it was just suggested advice.

Posted by: brew ( )
Date: July 06, 2023 06:53PM

Coffee smells great and tastes revolting.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 06, 2023 07:03PM

I think that it's wonderful, but it's an acquired taste. My family allowed me to start drinking it around age 14-15. I've always taken it with half-and-half, but no sugar. I remember later on in life, when I was living with my elderly mother, she told me that she loved to wake up to the wonderful aroma of the coffee that I brewed each morning.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 06, 2023 07:24PM

I remember the first time I tasted coffee and also tea. Both were very disappointing. All the world is praising this stuff? It tasted like dirt (I'm guessing!).

I think it seemed that way probably because I had a sweet taste for hot chocolate, soda and punch for years before I tried it.

I don't think alcohol tastes good either, so I'll stick with water most of the time.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 06, 2023 07:32PM

> I think it seemed that way probably because I had
> a sweet taste for hot chocolate, soda and punch
> for years before I tried it.

The Mormon disease. Who else drinks sugar-laden poisons with such abandon?

Date: July 06, 2023 09:30PM

People who have health problems. I wonder if there is a person on a steady diet of soda with no health problems?

Posted by: robinsaintcloud ( )
Date: July 06, 2023 07:43PM

I went about 55 years with no coffee so am now making up for lost time (and taste). I like it, just with cream, no sugar. I don't use it to stay awake, just drink it cause I like to. When I need to stay awake behind the wheel, I use sunflower seeds. It always works for me, thank goodness.

Posted by: T-Bone ( )
Date: July 07, 2023 04:14AM

Scientific research is of the devil.

Date: July 07, 2023 11:50AM

+1

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 07, 2023 12:47PM

T-Bone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Scientific research is of the devil.

So is (claimed, misunderstood) 'gravity'

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.