Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 08, 2023 09:09PM

Polyandry. There have been other such societies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 09, 2023 08:24AM

This was the first I had heard of. What are the other's names?

Date: July 09, 2023 09:33PM

Thanks. I know objectively there's this aspect of humanity but it seems so alien to me and shouldn't.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 09, 2023 04:24PM

Besides [|]'s list, there are similar arrangements in parts of Africa and Polynesia. And are those institutions really that different from the old Hebrew practice of giving a widow to her deceased husband's younger brother/s?

There have also been societies that are matriarchal (although probably not as many as Gimbutas and others have suggested) or matrilineal. A lot of anthropologists believe, for example, that the matrilineal nature of Judaism--you're a Jew if and only if your mother was a Jew--reflects a more general matriarchy that existed in Bronze Age Canaan and survived the later development of patriarchy.

I've mentioned this before, but my first exposure to these concepts came from Mormonism. On my ill-starred mission I spent time in a branch that had very old language books from the 50s and 60s that had been thrown out of branches and ward houses because they taught truths that are no longer true. Not caring about the shifting sands of LDS orthodoxy, I memorized such terms as polygamy, polygyny, polyandry, and polyamory as a linguistic game, unaware that there was a reason the ancient missionaries had learned them.

Imagine then my surprise when after my mission, as a grown-ass adult, I read Mormon history and my eyes were opened.

Posted by: ~ufotofo~ ( )
Date: July 10, 2023 03:38AM

Mormons have NEVER not done anything just because it was against the law. Mormonism was founded by a con man.

Date: July 10, 2023 06:10AM

Non sequitur but thanks for making this on topic.

Posted by: ~ufotofu~ ( )
Date: July 10, 2023 06:17AM

I'm just saying Mormons would do it today, even if illegal, if they thought/ were taught it was necessary for salvation.

Mormons: doing polygamy since WAY BEFORE it was commanded, suggested, or a thang!

Date: July 10, 2023 06:24AM

I think the church has changed. Money for nothing trumps chicks for free now.

Posted by: ~ufotofu~ ( )
Date: July 12, 2023 02:27AM

Money for nothing is nothing new... but chicks for free is what TSCC is really after! That brings in the tithing!

That doesn't mean it's changed.
It's just as dirty as it's ever been.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.