Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 08:08AM

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/community/boise/article277544733.html

Bundy’s mouth is finally costing him serious $$$$

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2023 08:10AM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 08:49AM

Good. That should slow him down.

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 12:02PM

Good luck getting him to pay. I've read elsewhere that he's been moving money into shell companies (where have we seen this before?) to hide his assets. He'll simply plead poverty and ignore all the collection notices. The county sheriff has already shown his true colors and won't enforce any liens or seize anything.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 12:32PM

The only people less likely than the sheriff to do anything are Bundy’s Mormon leaders. 12th Article of Faith? Never heard of it.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 01:09PM

As LDS Inc has demonstrated, shell companies are not all that effective. If Bundy has placed the money under other people's control, he may discover they may actually choose to exercise that authority, and take the money for themselves.

It is always dangerous to "technically give up control".

As for the sheriff, this potato may get hot enough that he has a change of heart. And don't courts enforce liens, not sheriffs?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 01:14PM

The Law doesn't like to be made fun of!

I'm pretty sure that the Law can claw back money, real & personal property that you've tried to detach from your person.

You can thank the Reasonable Man, Similarly Situated, for this boon.

Posted by: decultified ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 01:36PM

I hope you're right. I'd very much like to be proven wrong.

But it took years to get through all the church shenanigans and make them pay up. I'm thinking that Bundy is going the Alex Jones route.

Also (correct me if I'm wrong), while courts issue the orders, they have to rely on law enforcement to carry out those orders. If the lawmen refuse to do their job, then what? We've already seen an Idaho court issue a warrant in April for Bundy's arrest and AFAIK the sheriff has been too scared to haul him in.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 01:38PM

Orange is the new celestial white.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 12:53PM

This is about as good for recovery as following Kardashians is for feeling good about yourself. I wonder if he's friends with Qanon Shaman?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 01:39PM

IMO, they can order him to pay anything they want. He's not going to come out of his compound and no one is going to make him.

Meanwhile, in Idaho Falls, Glen Beck is coming to do a fund raiser for sheriffs. That's how I can guess how sheriffs in Idaho might act toward Bundy. Fringe Mormons carry a lot of power here.

I suspect the news about ordering him to pay was just for show. They've already fined him and nothing happened. I don't think he actually has any money in the league of paying that kind of money.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 03:22PM

That is the total judgement against all defendants.

Bundy is personally on the hook for 12.35 million

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2023/07/idaho-jury-hits-bundy-defendants-with-tens-of-millions-in-damages-in-st-lukes-lawsuit/

"In the end, all were hit hard monetarily:

Ammon Bundy: $6.2 million compensatory, $6.15 million punitive
People’s Rights Network: $5.2M compensatory, $5.2M punitive
Ammon Bundy for Governor: $1.55M compensatory, $1.65M punitive
Diego Rodriguez: $7M compensatory, $6.5M punitive
Freedom Man Press/Freedom Man PAC combined: $6.55M compensatory, $6.5M punitive"

Nevertheless, getting any of it will be a challenge.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 04:06PM

Is Bundy (related to Al Bundy of Married With Children?) paying property taxes?

the County & the state should round up one of those para-military armed ATVs (camouflaged, of course) and take him into custody for contempt of court with only CA$H bail allowed to the tune of about $5 mil.

That will draw the ire of Rightists, but example Idaho as a 'We Really Really mean it' place.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 04:10PM

So far the local police seem too frightened to enforce the law against Bundy. That's ultimately the problem with all of these verdicts and, frankly, criminal convictions,

Date: July 25, 2023 04:39PM

Meanwhile,at the Governor's office...

Date: July 25, 2023 05:35PM

this seems just like school;

if U think others are cheating (in this case corrupt), you feel it's OK / needed for you to get good grades to cheat too.

Bundy seems to think that governments are corrupt, so it's 'needed' and OK for him to also be corrupt.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2023 05:44PM by GNPE.

Date: July 25, 2023 07:19PM

The hospital can put a lien on his property. They may not get their money now, but they will get some of it eventually.

Date: July 25, 2023 07:24PM

But the problem is rather urgent. Bundy will keep doing his thing as long as he is able to escape justice.

To make a difference politically and socially, the institutions of the state must function in the short term as well as the long. I hope, but am not confident, that they will.

Date: July 25, 2023 07:44PM

time for a Title Search on the property where he lives...

I repeat: the Sheriff isn't doing (his) job, if Bundy gets away with this & others get wind of that, how is that county going to function???

No taxes, no courts, no sheriff.

Chaos in the name of 'Freedom' aka anarchy

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 07:50PM

> The hospital can put a
> lien on his property.

What property?

The way this usually works is that before the dawning of Judgment Day, the defendant (and prospective lawsuit loser) divests himself of all his "property."

So when the judgment comes in, and then 30 days pass with no attempt to "pay" the judgment, and the plaintiff takes his proof of winning to the County Clerk's office to begin the lien process, the clerk tells him/her that alas, the defendant doesn't seem to own any property! Nothing shows up on the computer!

The way out of this dilemma is for the plaintiff to "prove" that the defendant "sold" or otherwise transferred ownership for the sole purpose of sheltering said property; hiding it from the plaintiff's confiscation.

So much lying under oath as the defendant swears up and down that the transfers were NOT designed to keep the plaintiff from taking the property to satisfy the judgment.

This brings up the issue of the plaintiff attorneys and how he/she/them are being paid.  If you don't have auto insurance and you are hit by a driver with no insurance, no matter how clear-cut liability is in your favor, you're not going to get an attorney to take your case.  Because while getting a verdict, with a big award, may be easy, absent an insurance company, who is going to pay the verdict?  

Just as in the case in point, the tortfeasor will have "sold" all his property, etc., so that when you get your verdict, there will be no easy way to satisfy it.

Which brings me back to the issue of how the plaintiff attorneys were paid: most likely they billed by the hour rather than the ol' 1/3 if the case settles before trial or 40%-50% of the award.

The attorneys would have loved 40% of 54.5 million dollars...  But it's likely they were realists.

Date: July 25, 2023 10:36PM

If the 'sale' was done between the filing of the lawsuit (hospital or others) and the verdict, I doubt the court will buy it; if done without effective market exposure, X 100 ... to a buddy buyer who allows Bundy to remain without a commensurate rent payments, X 1000.

If there are any threats against the judge, jurors or court staff, Bundy & Buddy will get 'free rent', 3 meals & a cot.

the 'buyer' if any $ changed hands, will be out A LOT!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2023 10:37PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Boyd KKK ( )
Date: July 25, 2023 11:02PM

Any court ordered paperwork or legal actions that depend on the Sheriff for service or enforcement are a waste of time.
The guy has shown he and his deputies are cowards - a yellow streak permanently on their backs.
They are afraid to do their jobs but still cash their paychecks.

Date: July 25, 2023 11:20PM

Agreed.

Date: July 26, 2023 09:57AM

If they have a reasonable fear of being shot, then a notice should be sent to Bundy to make himself available for a peaceful serving of legal papers. If Bundy is not willing to do that, send in a SWAT team that has proper body armor and helmets. SWAT teams are sent in whenever police expect the strong possibility of an armed response.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: July 26, 2023 11:21AM

Like Ruby Ridge?
And the Branch Dravidian Compound in Waco?

I’m here for it.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: July 26, 2023 07:58AM

BUNDY IS STILL A CHURCH MEMBER IN GOOD STANDING!

That's all you need to know about Mormonism.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 26, 2023 09:46AM

Like I said: 12th Article of Faith? Never heard of it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.