Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 12, 2023 12:40AM

I grew up when we always addressed our grandparents by grandparent last name like grandpa Jones. It would have been incomprehensible to say Grandpa Fred.

But it seems almost every child my grandkids age use the first name.

My daughter in law said it was because women can change their last name so often it can be confusing to younger kids and avoids having to explain the revolving door of marriage and divorce or why grandma has a different last name than grandpa.

It still bothers me when my kids use my first name but doesn't change how much I love them.

Any thoughts on this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 12, 2023 01:35AM

Grandpa first name. Or, some sort of nickname (the same way that women go by Nana or Lollie) -- Pop Pop is often used in my area.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 12, 2023 11:39AM

I don't much like the name I picked up when I got married. I told my "ex" a while back that there is no way the grandkids can call me by what my kids called his mom. His parents were SOMETHING. They can call me by whatever name they want except that one.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: August 12, 2023 12:58PM

When speaking to our Grandma’s we just used Grandma. Last name only tossed in when speaking to someone else to inform if it was Mom’s side or Dad’s. I can’t imagine using either their first or last name when speaking to them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2023 12:59PM by sbg.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 12, 2023 01:36PM

To me it's just "grandpa". No names needed.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 12, 2023 03:29PM

I called my grandmother Granny. She was the only one I really knew. They others died when I was too young to know them

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 12, 2023 05:30PM

My grandparents lived in different parts of the country and were never in the same room at the same time, so no names were needed. Grandma and Grandpa sufficed.

It just occurred to me that I don’t remember one of my grandmother’s first names. I’m getting old. Oy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.