Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Concerned ( )
Date: August 22, 2023 04:50PM

I have had a number of chats with many members who have been married in the temple and their spouses have passed. Men are upset that their new wife will not get get unsealed from their deceased wife so they can be the only one sealed to their new wife. Women state they can not find men to marry because they are sealed to another deceased women and they will not get unsealed. Many are starting to quote some GA who recently said God will work this out, just trust Heavenly Father.
The bottom line seems to be that some of these people really do not have a testimony of Temple marriage. It seems to be a very confusing mess to many of these people I have talked to. Recently I talked to a man from Canada that was sealed to a woman who passed. He married another woman whose husband had passed. He said to me that he really would love to be sealed to his new wife but she will not get unsealed. I sensed his first marriage was not a marriage made in heaven. Have any of you seen this trend. The trend that God will work it out when we cross over.
When I was growing up, if you married in the temple you were married and there was no doubt about eternal marriage. What I am seeing is doubts about eternal marriage and it seems to be growing every year.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 22, 2023 04:59PM

"God will work it out when you get the heaven" is exactly what all the rest of the Christian world already believes. If God will work it out in any case, why exactly do we have all this temple rigamarole? Any or all of what happens in the temple is subject to being overridden at the pearly gates.

It's a bunch of people worried about who's got the best unicorn, all of them ignoring the fact that there are no unicorns.

Idjits

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 22, 2023 05:18PM

Somehow this all reminds me of "Love Island" on the TV. Haven't seen anything but the commercials but seems like the same game. Or a bit like the alliances switches on Survivor", maybe.

The problem with eternal promises is that they are eternal and humans aren't.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 22, 2023 06:22PM

They've had this trend for a long time. I believe one of the bishops told me that if it didn't work out with my gay future husband that I would be assigned another husband, that God would work it out. I think women were told more times than men that God will work it out.

I've said before I'd rather be with my gay "ex" and he can have all the men he wants and I'll be the only woman (who doesn't plan on having sex with him) in his kingdom. I'd rather live like that than share him with other women. I can be friends with all his sex partners. My best friends are his ex-boyfriends.

I should add that somehow ha ha ha I did have sex with my "ex" more than you'd think. After all, we have twins. It's good we did or I'd have one kid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2023 06:23PM by cl2.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 22, 2023 08:47PM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My best friends are his ex-boyfriends.

I love this!

Make it the title of your book, or something. Haha.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 22, 2023 09:14PM

I'm not curious enough to investigate...

My TBM daughter lost her forever husband to COVID in 2021.  In the months that followed, I visited Orem twice and both times noted the shrines to his memory outside and in the house.

Earlier this year, she remarried; a man who'd lived in her ward for a number of years and, I presume, knew her as a part of a couple.

When I went to the wedding, another daughter and I stayed at her home, and I noted that all the shrines were gone.

The wedding took place in their ward house, in the chapel, presided over by the bishop; that was a first for me.  Then there was the decorated-basketball-hoops reception in the cultural hall.

He's six years younger than her, so she did good!  I have no idea what their plans are regarding All Eternity.  He's divorced.  I have no knowledge regarding the status of his Eternal Marriage.  Can two faithful mormons get their sealing canceled?  He's 'faithful,' and I have no facts regarding her other than that she apparently doesn't like my daughter...

I'm still married for all time and eternity!!  And I remember her secret name!  ...never did tell her mine, and she had no idea what day I first went to the temple, so I don't think I'll be getting any 'caller unknown' ringy-dingies there in the lower basement of the CK.

But of course, the Eternal Bureau of Setting Things Right will take care of her...and me.  Should be fun!

Posted by: Yawni ( )
Date: August 22, 2023 10:18PM

So kind to leave your dead former spouse a divorce in the afterlife

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 22, 2023 10:59PM

The concept has been around since celestial marriage was preached.

Heber J. Grant's mother was sealed to Joseph Smith. Even though Heber's biological father was nit Joseph, Heber was considered Joseph's son. Be was even introduced as such by Joseph F Smith.

I had several aunts that married after a spouse passed and though in the temple it was for time only.

Recently the church stopped performing for time only marriages in the temple.

I know half a dozen widows and only one pushed to annul a sealing, but her so called forever spouse was abusive, a cheater and totally inactive.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 24, 2023 12:34AM

My life got less philosophically complex after heaven and an afterlife ceased to exist in my mind.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: August 24, 2023 01:34AM

That will not get you laid in the Mormon church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.