Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: September 15, 2023 10:12AM

I'd like to get some recommendations. TYIA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Just Passing through ( )
Date: September 15, 2023 12:07PM

The Village sent a chill down my spine. I was keeping my thoughts to myself when I saw it.

Posted by: klm ( )
Date: September 16, 2023 04:49AM

Just Passing through Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Village sent a chill down my spine. I was
> keeping my thoughts to myself when I saw it.

Meh, I found it a bit ridiculous. In a surface level it reflects an Amish lifestyle more than a Mormon one (since Mormons go out into the world all the time). All that stuff about monsters in the woods was also very silly.

It's hard to think of anything which doesn't have an R rating unfortunately. I would recommend "the Master" but it has nudity, drinking and sex references in it. "The Wicker Man" has the same problem. (Don't bother with the horrible remake or "Midsommar")

It may be more effective to watch documentaries about Jonestown or Waco (although the Waco story has been horribly distorted).

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 16, 2023 03:24PM

More fascination with Wicker Man. You're nothing if not predictable.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 15, 2023 12:33PM

an issue like this. Others may remember better than I do. I know there are quite a few that I've seen over the years, but I can't remember the names right now.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: September 15, 2023 12:40PM

The Nun's Story (1959) with Audrey Hepburn. She learned that obedience to silly rules shouldn't take priority over kindness and compassion. It's a great film for prospective missionaries - especially sister missionaries.

Posted by: Cftexan ( )
Date: September 16, 2023 09:37AM

The Invention of Lying. Its a comedy by Ricky Gervais and is more atheistic, so it may be too much. But I was suggested it in an ethics class when I was questioning, and it helped bring a new perspective on truth in general.

Date: September 16, 2023 01:40PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 16, 2023 02:12PM

My ex and I thought it was great.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 16, 2023 10:34AM

"Man's Search for Happiness"

If they can sit through that (stomach it) and still remain Mormon there is no hope.

Sometimes instead of something cerebral that encourages critical thinking you just need something gag-worthy.

Date: September 16, 2023 01:42PM

Date: September 16, 2023 01:42PM

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: September 16, 2023 11:51AM

The Giver

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 16, 2023 01:25PM

Murder Among the Mormons, documentary on Mark Hofmann - mix business fraud with religion and stir well. Murder a couple of people to cover up the fraud.

Under the Banner of Heaven, where the Lafferty's actually carry out the first temple penalty, because SIL wouldn't support "the new and everlasting covenant" of polygamy.

OK, maybe not the best movies to see with a fence sitter, but they do show the underbelly of Mormonism, and neither are fiction.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: September 16, 2023 03:59PM

My two favorite movies, because I am a man of exquisite taste, are Tombstone and Office Space.

You want your fence sitter to have a good time, not feel overtly pressured. On the surface these films seem to have nothing to do with Mormonism. But they break the rule against R rated films. If you can convince someone to break a small rule, then another, then another...pretty soon they might skip a tithing payment or two.

It's like a sneak attack.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.