Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Toronto Boy ( )
Date: September 16, 2023 03:55PM

Listening to pod cast called "8 Passengers Mormon Therapist Jodi Hildebrandt Destroyed my life-Adam Paul Steed." The first hr. was an the abuse he suffered as a young boy by LDS Scout leaders in Idaho and the LDS Church and Idaho government coverups. It was terrible to listen too. I can not believe that the President of the Church at this time did not know any of this was going on. He mentions many Church leaders and General Authorities as well as Temple Presidents. This guy was abused along with lots of other boys. No wonder the Church got out of Boy Scouts of America. What the Church law firm did was amazing. They created a hot line for abuse victims to call. The people the person from McConkie law firm they talked to was an ordained Bishop. So therefore they could not be called into court under law to testify due to some about ordained clergy Privilege.

He is now starting to talk about Jodi as his therapist and the role she and the Church played to really screw up his life. I have to pause for a day as this interview is so heart wrenching.

Let's go back to my life. My mum was in the Young Women's Presidency in the Ontario Canada mission when Monson was Mission President. He knew our family personally as my sister played the organ at district meetings. He was in our home many times. My mum was very abusive and I had black eyes, cuts on my necks from her finger nails, broken bones, etc. He had to see this when he visited our home. My mum would say I was clumsy. I was about 7 or 8.

Later in life I need some professional counseling. I went to a non LDS shrink who knew lots of Mormon men who had been abused. He told me up front your mother was a high priced hooker. Years after therapy I started to put the pieces together and concluded that Monson was either was blind or he was screwing my mum. Many years ago on several sites there was talk that several women had accused Monson of doing this to them.

Well they had a reunion a many years ago of all the people that worked with Monson in the mission. Everyone was invited but my mum. She was hurt. My brother thought it odd. I did not because of what the therapist said and what I put together. My mum had goods on Monson and Monson knew this.

Well I wrote him a detailed letter about when I was young and having him come into our home. I said he was suppose to be a spiritual leader and could he not see what I looked like? I got a reply back from his secretary. Monson has not time to write. He said he was sorry what you went through. He asked me to enclose these articles from the Ensign on abuse and forgiveness and hopes you will forgive your mum. So I am not holding back anymore.

My mum was a hot redhead. Very attractive and very busty. AS a teenager I could tell that the brethren lusted after my mum in the branch and ward. I met Sister Monson many times. I was amazed she got married. She was a plain Jane. How old were the widows that Monson counseled when he was Bishop? They would be young women whose husband was killed in Vietnam. So they would be young and he would be young. (20's) Make me wonder about the temptations Monson might have had.

My mum spent lots of time going to District meetings with Monson and many were over night trips. He did not take his wife as he had kids.

I know many of you will not believe this email and that is okay. I have the scars, the broken teeth, the broken bones etc. to prove this plus the medical records. I was not able to be adopted into this home until I was 19 so I was a ward of the Children's Aid Society.(that is another story) At age 40 I found my natural mother with the help of the Children's Aid. They sat me down in the office and gave me 3 full pages of my hospital visits and apologized that they never noticed the abuse.

So here I am at the end of my life reflecting back. How did such a spiritual giant as Monson never see this? This is how the Church can make you crazy. Then listening to this pod cast today, I do not think I am crazy. Crazy stuff was happenings all over the Church and was covered up. This person is exposing it.

The key for me to understand was my mum, who was a great Young Woman's leader, was not called or given an invitation to that reunion. What was the reason? I can only think of two reasons. 1. He saw the abuse and ignored it and felt bad about it or 2. my mum had goods on him. Oh by the way I found out later in life my mum had the goods on many men. Yet we looked like the ideal Mormon family to others. This is what craziness is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 16, 2023 04:34PM

That was disturbing. I'm so sorry you were abused as a child and no one did anything.

I don't doubt your view on things. I do think we need to be careful accusing people of sexual indiscretion, especially high profile people, on RfM (to protect the owners of this forum).

I wonder if there were other possibilities to explain his behavior. IMO, Monson could have been extremely naïve. Maybe he thought your mom was pretty and all, but was simply flattered she was around with nothing serious between them. Maybe he knew your mom was trouble (possibly she confessed some juicy stuff) and he was keeping a close eye on her. I seriously fault him for not looking into how she was treating her child.

If she was not invited to the reunion, did that mean everyone knew about her being some kind of floozy? Maybe they invited only missionaries to the reunions. Usually flings by mission presidents get discovered and gossiped about. I'm not sure she could hold anything over him because he'd be believed and she would have been the one punished (that's how these things usually go). I have no reason to disbelieve you though.

Anyway, the important thing is that you are able to put the pieces together to explain so much in your troubled childhood.

I don't like that they teach children to "honor parents" unconditionally. Not all parents deserve it.

Posted by: Toronto Boy ( )
Date: September 16, 2023 05:46PM

Thanks for the comment. I know I will know the answers. I know my mum checked out why she was not asked to attend. She was told it was Monson who said she was not to attend. My sister had passed so she would not be on the list.

As I age the broken bones that healed are starting to ache, etc. I know as a child I would go to bed every night praying that Heavenly Father would get me out of this situation. Back then we were taught and I believed that Mission Presidents were called by God. I have since changed my views, So I was always hoping he would see me and do something. That's how abused kids think. Today I am just confused about the whole thing. Then I listen to pod casts that shed light on how the top guys in the Church operate. So makes me wonder. At least I know I am not crazy.

So most of my life I had to lie. We were a great Mormon family. Etc. I had to honor my parents so I could not tell on them. It evens says that in my patriarchal blessing. "To honor my parents that THEY days may be long. So in some ways i feel bad telling my parts of my story. There are lots of others other from the Church just like me. Again Monson may have been a straight as an arrow guy by my therapist sure had different ideas after dealing with LDS men. And he was never wrong about any of the advice and guidance he gave me.

Bottom line. Belonging to this Church can make you crazy. My spiritualty is stronger today as I see it in a sun rise or sunset or sitting in the woods meditating. I know that Heavenly Father did protect me as a child because I am still alive after several attempts by my mum trying to kill me as a kid. I look back and see she was crazy. But again we can't talk about those things to Bishops as a kid back then. That's not honoring your parents. But I have a testimony that I was protected.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 16, 2023 07:37PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll bet there are others out there who were treated poorly by parent and church leaders who blamed themselves or didn't realize how they were being failed.

Yes, the church can drive you crazy. Look how it messed up that Steed kid. I'm so glad you stepped back and saw what was really happening. You deserve to have a nice life as an adult after having had such a crap situation as a child.

The church didn't help. No surprise there.

Posted by: thank you for sharing ( )
Date: September 17, 2023 11:51AM

Years ago there was a person who regularly posted on this message board who kept quiet, for the sake of his own personal family relationships, about how Monson tried to get the Q12 to excommunicate him because this person had disobeyed a direct order from Monson to help Monson keep a Church cover up of Child Sex Abuse under wraps. When one of the Apostles told the rest of the Q12 that he agreed with this person that Monson wanted ex'ed then the Q12 dropped the matter.

Monson was a Bishop in SLC shortly after WW2, before and during the Korea War, and he was an Apostle in 1963. The US first started having a serious number of casualties in the Vietnam War in late 1965 at Ia Đrăng near Pleiku, Vietnam. So, the War Widows in his war would've been mostly WW2 widows and maybe some WW1 widows.

Posted by: thank you for sharing ( )
Date: September 17, 2023 11:54AM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 16, 2023 05:52PM

A totally off-the-cuff story I heard about Monson that might mean nothing at all, but as a member of the male sex, I could see being supportive of your contention concerns Monson at Jazz basketball games.

It could mean absolutely nothing, but again, being a man, I don't mind being open to it:

Supposedly, Monson would sit in his seat and "seem" to be slobbering overtly at the Jazz cheerleaders.

It doesn't prove anything, even if true unless you are a fairly normal male and know how ridiculous we can be.

Have you seen the video that supposedly outs Hinckley as a real sex maniac in his younger days? I had no problem finding it credible, but I've gotten a lot of pushback about it, even from exmos...

Apparently, among exmos, it's okay to cast aspersions at Monson but not at Hinckley.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 16, 2023 06:12PM

I've given pushback on that recording, but the context is important.

I think Hinckley was pure evil, much worse than Monson. His hatred of others--LGTBQ+, anyone who challenged him, etc--was obviously profound. He belittled people right and left. So I have no problem thinking the worst of him.

The question is therefore not whether Hinckley was a miscreant but rather whether the story about his swinging is credible. I did not find it so. You can't keep a secret like that quiet for decades, and I simply don't believe some of those witnesses. In fact, I didn't think that one or two of them had ever met him.

Could the story be true? Absolutely. I just have not seen persuasive evidence of that--yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2023 06:12PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 19, 2023 03:38PM

At the end of his life, Monson's dementia was real bad, according to scuttlebutt. Some said he had "elder rage," where an elderly person with dementia will scream and yell at people. And if you know any people with dementia, you've doubtless seen how some of them will talk openly about inappropriate stuff that is very personal and damaging, things that no sane person would divulge. During this time, his handlers closed ranks around him, so that people would not hear the anger and the inappropriate rantings. I've always wondered if there were any choice revelations in his behavior. Now I wonder if he ever casually banged on about things sexual and otherwise inappropriate, and thus had people to quieten him down.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.