Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: September 19, 2023 07:16PM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-great-dechurching-looks-at-why-people-are-leaving-churches/ar-AA1gL7lc

“With the help of friends, they raised about $100,000 and enlisted the help of two political scientists who survey religious trends in the U.S. — Ryan Burge at Eastern Illinois University and Paul Djupe of Denison University — to create what they think is the largest-ever study of folks who stopped going to church.

That study, combined with other data about America’s changing religious landscape, led them to a sobering conclusion.

“More people have left the church in the last 25 years than all the new people who became Christians from the First Great Awakening, Second Great Awakening, and Billy Graham crusades combined,” Davis and Graham write in their book, “The Great Dechurching: Who’s Leaving, Why Are They Going, and What Will It Take to Bring Them Back?“

Why did you leave and what would it take to get you to go back?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2023 10:17PM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 19, 2023 10:24PM

I left because God failed to deliver, on 9-11
So did the religion I was born into.
The Prophet was revealed to be just a feeble minded geriatric at the top of a giant pyramid scheme, only the pyramid turned out to be upside down.
Take out the so called ‘Prophet’ and the whole pyramid crumbles to dust.

I went back, back to nature.
Back to ancient wisdom.
Back to reason, science and philosophy.

Back to humanity
Back to my roots
Back home
Back to love

Posted by: squirrley ( )
Date: September 22, 2023 12:25PM

With head bowed I promise on this website and in from of angles and witnesses that I will go back as soon as all my tithes are REFUNDED.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 22, 2023 12:54PM

What if, on your 72nd birthday (hey, I had to pick an age...), the church trotted out all the paperwork on your life-long tithing and then calculated the 1.5%/month interest on that tithing money and gave you whatever that totaled out to?

It would be a fabulous 'gift' from ghawd!

...Obviously, they'd pick an age they could expect a sizeable percentage of the tithe-payers to have already passed on, AND it would serve as an incentive NOT to resign!

Damn it!  I would have made a fabulous apostle, and witness to the power of money!!

Posted by: Ciena ( )
Date: September 24, 2023 03:46PM

I go where the youth seem to abound now.

Maybe I can suggest you go look at the additional HUGE issues with the ust this LDS church..it is a proven fraud..the Book of Mormon is so obviously a fraud. BTW trying doing this for 35 yrs and over 100K in tithe.

My family and I are attending a non-denominational christian church and it is such a welcome relief.

Date: September 24, 2023 08:51PM

Whatever works.
Almost anything is better than forking over 10% of your income and much of your time to sing the praises of a sexual predator.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.