Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 12, 2023 06:47PM

**Warning: Sensitive Material. The contents in the links may contain material that is sensitive or upsetting to some listeners. Responses below may also reflect this.

I posted these links because they tell powerful stories that I think may ultimately be very important to the exmormon community.

John Dehlin interviews Adam Paul Steed, who suffered abuse as a LDS Boy Scout, and who subsequently had his confidentiality betrayed by Mormon therapist Jodi Hildebrant of "8 Passengers" infamy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gvsqvz92KM

The story of Jessi Hildebrant (niece of Jodi) is also gaining traction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCeK7sIP2Y0

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2023 05:20PM by summer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 13, 2023 01:34PM

I got maybe 15 minutes in. I didn't want to hear any more. It's a disturbing story. I'm glad that kid had the spine to stand up to it all.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: September 13, 2023 02:56PM

Five hours is too much for me, I listened to the first 15 minutes or so, and found it to be most disturbing.

But I skipped to the last section of about 15 minutes or so where they summarized his thoughts on Mormonism.........everyone should listen to that portion. It was very thought provoking. Made me rethink several things and put other observations into a point of view that had never occurred to me.

It removed all doubts from my mind about my choice to walk away.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: September 13, 2023 11:30PM

Here is a shirt clip of it.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8jk64aF/

Mormon abusers were sent to the bishop instead of the police when they got cought doing bad stuff at camp.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 14, 2023 01:56AM

Little Lemhi was the camp I went to as a scout. All I remember is they would buy the shittiest food and we would have to haul it up a steep hill to our camp. The handles on the milk crates we used would cut into your hands.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: September 14, 2023 01:39PM

The Adam Paul Steed story is one of the most disturbing stories I have heard concerning the church.

The church targeted a young man and his family for doing the right thing ---reporting a child molester and helping change an Idaho law extending the statute of limitation on child abuse. The molester was a member of a prominent tithe paying family.

Adam's father worked for CES and the mormon church threatened his employment because he helped close loopholes in the law. He eventually was "let go".

The church proceeded to get revenge on Adam and his family AFTER he returned from his two year mission and enrolled at BYU.

So yes the church hires "seek and destroy" members like Jodi Hildebrand to damage lives.

The church seems to want to push members to commit suicide.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 14, 2023 02:31PM

> The church seems to want
> to push members to commit
> suicide.

Perhaps, but I'm pretty sure it's nothing personal; it's just part of doing business without the constraints of morals or standards.

It is textbook when your organization is outcome-oriented rather than a fan of morality, which almost always detracts from the bottom line.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 14, 2023 03:30PM

The church will throw anyone under the bus to protect its image. All I can say is whether it’s the Bible or Book of Mormon the main message is the chosen people always become corrupt. The Roman Government was willing to drop the charges on Jesus but his church leaders wanted him crucified for causing trouble in the church and disagreeing with them.

Don’t trust any church.

Date: September 14, 2023 03:53PM

This article about Adam is quite shocking.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/08/24/child-molestation-at-idaho-scout-camp-in-the-90s-has-lasting-impact

Nope lds church that is not what Jesus would do.

Date: September 14, 2023 05:40PM

“ 'As a society, we’ve learned a great deal about abuse in the decades since these cases, and made large strides in recognizing and preventing this societal plague,' said Church spokesman Eric Hawkins."

I hate to inform the Mormon church about this, but teachers have received extensive training in recognizing and reporting suspected child abuse going back to my teacher training starting in 1991, and probably long before that. Saying that "we've learned a great deal" in the past few decades is completely disingenuous. I would go so far as to say that it's evil. The correct thing for church spokesmen would be to say that they ignored and buried the problem for many years, when they should have provided a leadership role in morality instead.

Date: September 14, 2023 07:20PM

Summer, my active TBM mom is very happy that the lds church requires everyone working with youth so do some training. How is that training done? The training is to watch a 30 minute video on LDS.org and click I have watched the video. No background checks nothing in Germany. So I said to my mom that a pedo can watch the video and click the I have watched the video button and work with children and youth. My mom's response was bad people can be anywhere. When I said that the lds helpline goes to a law firm she didn't believe me. The lds church has the money to pay for background checks for everyone working with children and youth.

Date: September 29, 2023 08:26PM

Mormon Stories has received a temporary restraining order to take down the interview of Adam Paul Steed. Ofcourse I beleive that the temporary restraining order comes from the Mormon Churches law firm Kirton McConkie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogKZ4tMWZwU

Date: September 30, 2023 12:51AM

Interesting.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: September 30, 2023 01:53AM

According to posters here

https://www.reddit.com/r/8passengersnark/comments/16vllwa/mormon_stories_court_order_to_remove_adam_paul/

per his Instagram account, it was his ex-wife who got the TRO.

I cannot personally confirm that.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 30, 2023 02:38AM

I'm halfway through, roughly. The only part censored so far is where Steed reads email exchanges between his wife and Hildebrant, so it does make sense that the TRO issued from her.

I wonder how the church feels about this. At the very least the TRO is going to attract a lot of national attention. Since the church rarely if ever goes this route, preferring to ignore most of the scandals in the hope that they'll soon slip out of the headlines, I'm not sure SLC will be happy about the restraining order.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 30, 2023 02:12AM

The interview is still up now and I am listening to it. Definitely a listen.

Date: September 15, 2023 06:45PM

Good summary on r/exmo of Adam's experience:

https://old.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/16jancf/a_mormon_leader_person_in_authority_failed_adam/

Basically, everything that the Mormon church could do that was both wrong and evil, in response to his molestation, they did. If you want to know why this church is a deeply immoral organization, look no further.

Date: September 19, 2023 07:17AM

I couldn't watch the entire video it was too difficult for me. Adam is so strong for coming forward.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: September 29, 2023 08:46PM

Dehlin wasn't able to share the particulars.
Wonder what the offensiveness was?
Slandering Jodi? Slandering LDS Inc? Slandering BYU?
Explicit talk.

I had shared that talk a number of times so I still have it. Hah!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.