Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 14, 2023 09:46AM

Even as a nevermo, I'm familiar with both Bonnie Cordon and SVU as a Mormon faith-affiliated institution. Bonnie is the past president of the church's Young Women Organization.

Call me old-fashioned, but I'm of the opinion that career educators should be heading up institutions of higher learning. Evidently that's not a requirement in some quarters. The article describes Bonnie as having "served as a mission leader for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Curitiba, Brazil". If being an appendage to your husband qualifies you as a "mission leader," then sure.

https://news.svu.edu/2023/bonnie-h-cordon-named-president-of-southern-virginia-university/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: October 14, 2023 10:11AM

I found it frustrating that administrative heads of colleges who were past professors were often pretty pathetic as administrators. The chief functions of a university/college president is dealing with politics and funding. I'm of the opinion that leaders of educational institutions should have a solid background in business, finance, budgeting, public speaking, and especially fund raising. Having leadership skills should incorporate all of those. Did her husband or her past work experience give her any of that?

Date: October 14, 2023 10:47AM

You make a good point, but there are also plenty of potential administrators who come from business schools and schools of law. For instance, hospital administrators generally have a background in both medicine and management. I personally would want to see a college or university president who has spent at least some time working as a teacher, researcher, or both.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 14, 2023 10:14AM

If you have the qualification of being a good obedient Mormon, no other qualifications are necessary. See, she has the Holy Ghost to guide her. How do you top that?

A little respect please, summer. :)

Date: October 14, 2023 10:35AM

When I googled Bonnie Cordon's name, some interesting things came up. Among them was the death by homicide of her grandson while the Cordons were on a family vacation in Florida. Bonne was not directly implicated in this homicide, but there is speculation that she knows more than she is saying. See the link below, or google "Bonnie Cordon grandson death." For whatever reason, charges against Bonnie's DIL were never filed in this case. It is still officially open.

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/10yw5t6/updated_synopsis_on_the_cordon_homicide/

According to an anecdotal account, Bonnie was apparently forced by her family (at the request of the apostle who set her father apart as a MP) to serve as a missionary in her father's mission even before she finished high school. She had to settle for a GED instead.

Posted as a response in this thread. Scroll down:

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments/16i3zv7/do_you_know_who_bonnie_cordons_father_was/

And finally, Bonnie's father, Harold Hillem, was apparently involved in the harassment of Adam Paul Steed over the Mormon Boy Scout scandal. See previous references to Adam Paul Steed's story on this site.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 14, 2023 01:49PM

Psst. Don't tell EOD she's the one who got rid of the Laurels.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 14, 2023 02:05PM

Laurels . . .  

All the eagerness of youth,
all the breasts of muliebrity!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 12:51PM

Especially "brite" ones!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 16, 2023 04:46PM

They would have been better off hiring Miss Trunchbull

https://roalddahl.fandom.com/wiki/Agatha_Trunchbull

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 16, 2023 04:54PM

The first 4 out of 5 paragraphs explicitly mention the church's name, a need to serve God or divine purposes.

This kills me, it's at the bottom of the article. Southern Virginia University is a nonprofit, private institution not affiliated with, endorsed, or sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Could have fooled me. I think some actual experience working in an academic setting should be required.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 16, 2023 05:21PM

Is there an extensive list of religions with which they are not affiliated?

Posted by: wowbagger ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 09:04AM

I got sucked into the Wikipedia vortex, and they mentioned renaming a building at SVU because the dude was a raging racist.

It led me to find a link to this article:

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/6/19/21297326/racism-southern-virginia-university-white-supremacists-name-juneteenth-latter-day-saints-mormon

So, how about BYu?

Crickets?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.