Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 13, 2023 02:28PM

Yet another train video

=== British Rail Modernization ===

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBJrV6OCc9U

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: October 13, 2023 02:34PM

I was never into disco, but I do like some ABBA tunes and the soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever.

Burn Baby Burn!

And if you want to see a good/ funny movie with ABBA songs, watch "Muriel's Wedding."

I hope I didn't "derail" your post :)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 13, 2023 06:11PM

I like ABBA, too. And I found the disco soundtrack of the movie, "The Martian" really amusing. The protagonist absolutely hates disco, but since he doesn't have much else available to him for music, he rather ruefully embraces it.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 13, 2023 08:58PM

Happy day of Jihad against disco!

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 13, 2023 09:21PM

Disco sucks. But I do like Muriel's Wedding and I watch it every time it is on. The casting is perfect. Great flick even if it doesn't have wombats or koalas :)

But disco does suck.

Posted by: You will be given a new name ( )
Date: October 22, 2023 05:32AM

Susan I/S Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Disco sucks. But I do like Muriel's Wedding and I
> watch it every time it is on. The casting is
> perfect. Great flick even if it doesn't have
> wombats or koalas :)

I don't know what it is about old Aussie cinema, but they often blindside me and win me over. "Muriel's Wedding" had a kind of charm to it I hadn't anticipated at all, and I don't even like Abba! I think Hollywood would have overdone a film like this, but Aussies kept it quirky.

"Strictly Ballroom" was another Aussie suburban comedy I hadn't expected to enjoy either. I get some scenes muddled up with "Muriel's Wedding."

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: October 13, 2023 09:23PM

I enjoy some disco songs; others I can do without. I could say the same for music of nearly any other genre.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 13, 2023 09:41PM

I remember the "Dirty Bump" ...  Was that disco music?

Not that it mattered to me.  I'd dirty bump to the National Anthem!

...But not "God Save the King."

I typed God Save the Queen first, but then I remembered to change it; old habits die hard.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: October 14, 2023 08:22AM

Donny Osmond did an album titled “Disco Train.” I assume that would be a dilemma for someone who loves trains and hates disco.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 14, 2023 06:31PM

An excellent observation!

Date: October 15, 2023 01:15PM

Osmond, trains, disco ... THE TRIFECTA !

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: October 14, 2023 06:16PM

The post office has a new special stamp series on trains

Posted by: DonnaT ( )
Date: October 14, 2023 08:41PM

I ADORE the BeeGees and loved the music (and even the dancing) from "Saturday Night Fever". Of course, I was rather young then. But I still like both today.

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: October 14, 2023 09:51PM

Oh, I love the nightlife; I've got to boogie...

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 15, 2023 11:04AM

Disco was before my time, but the only song from that era that I ever liked was Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" that had an electronic beat from one of the fathers of modern electronic music, Giorgio Moroder.

"I Feel Love"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEbaeLv-aOo

Gary Numan's "Cars" would have been more my style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im3JzxlatUs

Of course, all of this ultimately comes from the maestro himself, Jean-Michel Jarre :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyX_qouAmfE

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 15, 2023 11:37AM

My younger sister loved disco and she went dancing all the time. Since she was still in high school I bought a lot of the music she had like Donna Summer. I forgot about Donna Summer until someone above mentioned her.

I wasn't really a huge fan of the BeeGees' disco stuff.

Oh, and ABBA. My "ex" loves ABBA. I like some of their music. I bought him and my kids tickets to see the stage show that traveled around the country years ago. (I didn't go.) My "ex" was angry at me for spending the money, but changed his tune after seeing the show. He's too cheap.

You should see what he eats. It is a testament to how he saves money (oh, I guess including how he took care of us). It can be 20 days old and he'll still eat it. If I was eating to live I guess that is how I'd eat. We have a good relationship now but I just had to throw in that bit about how he took care of us.

Date: October 15, 2023 01:19PM

20 days old ? Don't look in my refrigerator.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 16, 2023 10:20AM

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: October 17, 2023 04:44PM

Date: October 17, 2023 04:54PM

Wholesome slutty...  But I would have eventually, somewhere down the line, kicked her out of bed.

Date: October 17, 2023 08:11PM

I had the pleasure of serving in the Lord's Missionary Vineyard where there were 20-30 Agneta look-alikes taking my bus into town every Friday and Saturday night.

Date: October 17, 2023 08:24PM

> ...there were 20-30 Agneta
> look-alikes taking my bus
> into town every Friday and
> Saturday night.

Don't deny me the pleasure of making up my own interpretation of just exactly what that means!!

Posted by: miner8 ( )
Date: October 18, 2023 10:53PM

There was a whole movement against disco: "Disco sucks". And a lot of songs were written to protest disco. Some were pretty funny, too.
All I know of Disco is that the BeeGees were destroyed by it. They made a few good songs, then got into disco, and there they went.

Date: October 18, 2023 10:58PM

Don't tell Disco Dave that Disco sucks. He'll never forgive you.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 19, 2023 12:09AM

I already told him disco sucks. I even had a TShirt.

But I wont tell him it is dead.

Date: October 19, 2023 01:40AM

I also had the T-shirt.

Posted by: Fatheart ( )
Date: October 21, 2023 10:53PM

But the mountain of money The Bee Gees made because of Disco is staggering. If their intent was to become multimillionaires, they reached their career objective. It’s all in how ya look at it.

Posted by: socalapostate ( )
Date: October 22, 2023 04:56AM

The BeeGees could sing about stayin' alive, but they weren't any good at doing it,

Date: October 22, 2023 09:08PM

Just admit that your favorite song was "Disco Duck".

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: October 22, 2023 09:50PM

...when reading this thread is noting how many of the "disco" acts cited weren't really disco acts at all. Oh, they may have had a disco song or two in their careers, but they weren't primarily known for playing dance music. The Bee Gees, for example, whose greatest success came from recording disco music, had a much sturdier career as ballad singers before joining the disco bandwagon; the Electric Light Orchestra was essentially a rock band with strings who had three disco hits during their career--"Sweet Talkin' Woman," (1978), "Shine A Little Love," (1979); and "Last Train To London," (1979); and Abba was much more a European pop group than a disco group.

No. Whin I think of disco, I think more in the lines of Donna Summer (though she didn't like calling her music disco), Gloria Gaynor (the original queen of disco before Donna Summer took her crown), Patrick Hernandez, K.C. and the Sunshine Band, The Sylvers, Chic, Bell and James, The Village People, McFadden and Whitehead, Anita Ward, and Sister Sledge. With the exception of K.C. and the Sunshine Band, all of these artists were African-american, and I found I enjoyed some of the singles they released, especially after years of not hearing them.

Date: October 22, 2023 09:57PM

Perhaps you should have a chat with Disco Dave. I suspect he shares many of your views!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 23, 2023 04:53AM

I always found disco so tiring to dance to when I went out on the town. A regular song, you get up and dance for a few minutes, and then you sit down and rest a bit. For disco, the song would never end, and it was so droning and boring. I would give up and sit down after a few minutes.

Date: October 24, 2023 12:56AM

I see your point, but it's a very American view of "Disco".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.