Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 31, 2023 01:51PM

Why? One mom did it, and the other mom was stopped before she could do it. All I could find out from news reports was that Lori Daybell thought her children were "zombies" and Spring Thibodeaux and her brother thought her son Blaze to be a "Davidic Servant." Where did they get this "human sarifice" idea?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 31, 2023 02:01PM

Hmmm. God sacrificed his son. Abraham almost sacrificed his son. Apparently it can be connected to excessive faith (and gullibility).

Date: October 31, 2023 02:08PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 31, 2023 04:11PM

The frightening thing is that schizophrenia is probably not necessary. The thing about many religions and religious ideologies is they teach people that true freedom, true peace, true faith is anti- or extra-rational.

As Heartless notes below, there is nothing more Mormon than the notion that murder for religious reasons is a sign of great spirituality.

Date: October 31, 2023 04:54PM

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 31, 2023 03:07PM

A smart teenager could play the "Davidic Servant" angle to get out of a lot of chores.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 31, 2023 03:20PM

It is better that one man should perish than a whole nation dwindle in unbelief.

Somewhere in the book of mormon.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 31, 2023 04:14PM

Maybe Adam Johnson refused to give up the Brass Plates.

https://www.npr.org/2023/10/30/1209493596/adam-johnson-dies-hockey-accident-england

"She and her brother — Adam’s father — were watching the game online when the accident happened.

“We saw it happen. It was horrific. It was, it was, um. I cannot even describe it because nobody should have to live through what we saw,” Kari Johnson said. “The skate cut right through Adam’s windpipe, and it cut his carotid artery. And, at one point, they had lost him in the ambulance and they brought him back. And, um, he didn’t make it through surgery once they got him to the hospital. They just couldn’t get the bleeding to stop. He lost way too much blood.”

“It was tough to see and it was tough knowing it was your boy and you know it’s bad. You know, my nephew, not my son, but my boy. He’s my boy. Just seeing it was traumatic.”

My point being Laban's decapitation would have had blood spewing everywhere. Besides such a gruesome scene seriously reducing the plausibility of the story, Mormons are asked to be nonchalant about it. Adam's aunt was right. It's not anything anyone should ever see. So why put it in a religious document?

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: October 31, 2023 06:37PM

Heartless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is better that one man should perish than a
> whole nation dwindle in unbelief.
>
> Somewhere in the book of mormon.

Then they dwindled in unbelief and finally all were killed in the greatest battle in the history of the world.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 31, 2023 06:42PM

And much to the chagrin of archaeologists, they cleaned up nicely afterwards.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 31, 2023 04:37PM

I don't think that Spring Thibodeaux intended harm to her son beyond unlawfully taking him from the custody of his father. I think she saw her son as some sort of future religious leader after...well, after whatever she thought was coming next.

Date: October 31, 2023 04:50PM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 31, 2023 07:01PM

That makes me think of how they select the Dalai Lama. According to the Google, "Traditionally, senior Tibetan monks conduct an elaborate quest to find a child who is the Dalai Lama's next incarnation. The search involves consulting oracles, interpreting visions and reading spiritual signs."

At least it doesn't involve killing anyone.

These weirdos who think their kid is divinely special are out there today just as they have in the past. Just like the folks who talk to God, it's what is socially acceptable that seems to determine which ones are nuts.

Date: October 31, 2023 09:10PM

so this is going to be really interesting -- like the simultaneous Popes during the Middle Ages. The Chinese used a golden urn to pick a candidate the last time they occupied Tibet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2023 09:12PM by anybody.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.