Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: November 26, 2023 03:45PM

Do you have your Home Teaching done yet?

Visiting Teaching?

You know, the lord is counting on you for these visits.

And, then report back at what you saw.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: November 26, 2023 04:05PM

My companion (elders quorum friend) and I were going from location to location in our area. No one answered, and we saw them in their front windows. Why would they not want to listen to the Prophet's Message?

It seems so stupid back then, now that I have consulted with my brain, and agree with it, that all we are is numbers. No faces, no nothing. We shouldn't even worry about it, because the decline of the COJCOLDS will forever be the busywork.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2023 04:28PM by lousyleper.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 26, 2023 04:34PM

It's the end of the month. Should I buy a car ?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 26, 2023 04:38PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's the end of the month. Should I buy a car ?

Answer: Yes, if it's a new car, and it's for me.

Any Further Questions on that?

Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: November 26, 2023 05:04PM

However, I would like a red Mitsubishi. Nice cars!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 27, 2023 11:21AM

You can just lie and do nothing.

There doesn't seem to be any real consequences. My 80+ mom would like someone to visit her once a month. Her assigned ministers don't even call her using the phone. She complained to the bishop about the previous so now she's assigned one on paper, must be the Holy Ghost. She tells me that the sister minister waves at her while sitting in the chapel.

It used to be that you had to physically visit assigned families. You had to be inside, read the first presidency message and do the prayers. I was always assigned to my dad. He had one regular shut in lady and about 10 unknown inactives. These were people who may have joined in their youth or were blessed as a baby. All of them were not interested in attending the Mormon church. Most of them tolerated my dad who learned about their interests- fixing up old cars, collecting rare stones and gems, motorcycles. My dad would talk to them about their interests and they would agree to allow us to come by the following month.

We were told that we were NOT home teaching unless we did all the church crap. My dad paid no attention, but it bothered him that they had the nerve to tell him off.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 27, 2023 11:33AM

I remember hating and dreading the whole VT thing. Every month it was on my to do list with guilt that it kept getting procrastinated. It was obviously something most people didn't want to do.

It was bad enough trying to coordinate it with some random VT partner. Plus, I was trying to plan my lesson for church every week, take care of my kids and work.

Then there would be that judgmental call to ask if you got it done. I can't count the number of times I dropped off a stupid plate of cookies with an "inspirational" note and called it my visit. The minute I was unassigned, the forced friendships with everyone involved ended.

I resent all the time I spent on church busywork that should have been spent enjoying my little kids and things that were actually important.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 27, 2023 10:30PM

One of the things I hated most about Mormonism was the institutional and cultural acceptance of passive aggression as a way of doing business.

With VT/HT duty, everyone was supposed to do it but very few had any intention of fulfilling their assignments. Rather than say "no," the assigned VTs would simply engage in passive resistance.

The leaders would complain--ironically, because when they were VTs they generally failed to do the work too--and the VTs would grovel a bit, promise to do better, and then continue to shirk their ministerial duties. Everyone knew nothing would change. Rinse, repeat.

In my final ward I simply said, "no." I was not going to pretend that I had agreed to something and then eat ritualistic humble pie for having "failed" to follow through. People were stunned that I dared do that, for in Mormondom honesty is considered discourteous.

But I went home feeling content.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 27, 2023 10:09PM

and I had two jobs doing transcription and I worked at home. I get paid by production. The last day of the month was the last day of my pay period and I usually poured it on that day. Never failed, the HT (couple) would always call to come the final day of the month. I quit answering the phone. The wife wasn't pleased with me. I requested no HT after that.

But they sent another HT after that even though I asked not to. The prior stake president who had actually worked in the same group as I did at Thiokol and he knew me, but not really well as he spent most of his time in the lab. So they sent him and he asked me to say the prayer the first time he came and I said no. He asked for my unlisted number and I said no. My VT who was a friend (my only VT as I wouldn't let anyone else come) is the only person who had my phone number and she refused to give it to anyone who asked including my HT.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2023 10:11PM by cl2.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 28, 2023 02:08AM

When I did it it was called home teaching. I was the best teenage assistant ever. I never said a word.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 28, 2023 11:19AM

I was an RM.

They assigned me to HT Brother Largo (the EQ Prez) who was best friends with the Mason family. The two families spent a lot of time. Dick would tell me to setup a visit with his wife Jane. Jane really didn't want me to ever come by so I was told to set up a time with Dick. This ping pong game went on for several months without me ever setting up a time.

At some point, one of the Largo kids ended up in the hospital. I had no idea- I had no spiritual discernment. I was called in to explain to the bishop why I wasn't getting the HT done. I told the truth and the bishop wouldn't have it. The leaders don't want to hear the truth.

I eventually was assigned 10 inactives who wanted NOTHING to do with the church. I followed my dad's lead by making brief yard chats about their interests.

In the end, many families requested to HT each other.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 28, 2023 11:22PM

I hated home teaching. Always felt we were imposing on people privacy but my companion was to f@$#$#$ stupid to clue into it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.