Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 10:14PM

...now aim to take over... (you'll see the end of that line once you read the article at the link below).

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/11/28/1899174/-The-cults-that-took-over-Christian-colleges-now-aim-to-take-over-your-government?detail=emaildkre&pm_source=DKRE&pm_medium=email

From the article:

"“Would you be OK with taking a pregnancy test to prove your innocence?" 

There’s a place where pregnancy is a crime. I’m not talking about some future dystopian fiction, but rather what happens at Pensacola Christian College. Students who have attended school there say they are encouraged to turn in their peers, whether for a violation of one of their extensive rules, or more serious “crimes” like suspected homosexual activity or becoming pregnant. Lillith was seen throwing up in a garbage can, so informants reported her to Student Life. She was called to the dean's office on a Sunday to take a pregnancy test.

What happens at PCC is not unique among Christian colleges. Most fundamentalist colleges require far-reaching control over their student body (both physically
and emotionally). Yet these kinds of schools have problematic curriculums as well. That’s why most remain unaccredited, which is a big problem if you want to transfer credits to a better school. Regionally accredited schools have rigorous educational standards and are widely accepted, but it also means you can’t teach nonsense like Earth creationism, flood geology, or archeology that pretends dinosaurs were ridden by humans....

...One of my favorite TikTokers is a young woman who was raised in an evangelical fundamentalist Christian household. She was homeschooled and then went through several years at PCC. Today, Cherie Mae has left fundamentalism, is happily married, and shares her stories on TikTok as TheCanceledChristian.
She overcame her years of brainwashing and fear of hell to break free from the religious cult that tried to control her....

...While most of the content is funny, like exposing her college’s weird rules and the ridiculous things they were forced to learn, there is also a much darker side, such as how women are treated. Women in these schools tend to get blamed for everything, from pregnancy to rape. Mae told me in an interview, “In Sunday school, they would say women are worthless if they are not virgins. I knew girls who had been assaulted as children and were constantly re-victimized by having to hear how ‘dirty’ and ‘worthless’ they are.”

Another former student, Samantha Field, was sexually assaulted at PCC. She reached out to the school’s Student Life Office, as she was told to do, but said she was told she was the one who needed to repent for it. “I stammered, ‘He—he hurt me.’ She continued as I sat there in disbelief, ‘It’s important, though, that you face what you are responsible for. If you don’t repent, then your relationship with God is broken and can’t be mended. You need God’s grace and forgiveness—and you need to forgive your ex as well.’”"

I must stop and interject here. If I remember correctly, this is how Mormons tend to view women as well. So I suppose they do have some things in common with Christian fundamentalism. But back to the article:

"The Pensacola News Journal requested information on the college’s policy and procedures on sexual assault victims but
 was denied. Because PCC does not participate in federal student aid programs, it is not required to contribute to the U.S. Department of Education’s national database of alleged criminal offenses reported to local law enforcement agencies. In response to allegations, PCC has claimed allegations about how they treat rape victims are part of a campaign to harass the school, and President Troy Shoemaker stated that "reports of harassment in any form have been quite rare.""

Another interjection. Like Mormon leadership, I believe Mr. Shoemaker is lying here, and sadly as before, women are the victims of his lies. But back to the article.

"However, it’s not just PCC that’s the problem. Bob Jones University, according to a multi-year investigation,
shamed sexual assault victims for decades and urged them not to go to the police. A teenager was allegedly forced to confess her "sin" of being raped before a school trustee's congregation.

At Visible Music College, a fundamentalist college in Memphis, Tennessee, a student rape victim was banned from campus.
Becca Andrews was raped multiple times at Moody Bible Institute, one of the country’s most prestigious evangelical colleges, but the school wound up investigating her instead of her attacker and simply failed her at every turn."

There are some very recent threads on this very Board about Mormon bishops not encouraging women to go to state authorities with sexual abuse charges and then covering the stories up. And, of course, the Roman Catholic church, my old stomping ground, has lost both a lot of money and legal cases for its failure to report these kinds of incidents to authorities. (And yes, there are state laws in most U.S. states that do not require churches to report to the authorities).

There is a lot more to this very disturbing article, and it makes some points beyond how women who are sexually abused are treated by these Christian schools. I wish I could copy and comment on the entire article, but I think what I have done shows a very close relationship to the Mormon mindset regarding females and sex.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 10:22PM

Pensacola christian college has been a mess since I heard of it three decades ago. Men and women have separate staircases. They get demerits for looking at each other. It was only accredited recently, I don't know if it still is, actually. It's the worst of the worst. Volumes could be written about the horrible rules.

A friend's brother went there. They were IFB/Gothardite. He wanted to be a doctor. He didn't know, till he tried to apply to med school, that it wasn't accredited and had to start from scratch.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 10:29PM

Disturbing indeed. Overall, I'm disturbed by religion trying to override education for multiple reasons.

If I ran the world, religion would stay in churches, not schools. Or at least religious schools should not receive the same accreditation as nonreligious schools. (Lucky for everyone I'm not in charge.)

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: November 30, 2023 03:37AM

It's Pensacola. These are the very same people who sent Matt Gaetz to Washington.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 30, 2023 05:24AM

It's very typical of how the most conservative end of Christianity views women. We are expendable. It is our fault if men are "tempted."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.