Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 01, 2023 09:58AM

############

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/dec/01/christian-homophobia-bible-mistranslation-1946-documentary

What if all the anti-gay, homophobic rhetoric that has come from the Christian right over these past few decades was rooted in a mistranslation of the Bible?

In the documentary, 1946: The Mistranslation that Shifted Culture, researchers and scholars delve into the 1946 mistranslation of 1 Corinthians 6:9 and explore how it fuelled the Christian anti-gay movement that still thrives today.

The director and producer Sharon “Rocky” Roggio documents the journey of the Christian author Kathy Baldock and Ed Oxford, an advocate and gay man who grew up Southern Baptist, as they dug through archives at the Yale Sterling Memorial Library. There, they discovered correspondence between the head of the translation committee and a gay seminary student in which the committee head conceded with the student’s point about the mistranslation. In the next translation in 1971, the committee changed the translation from homosexual to “sexual perverts” – but by then the damage was done. Hundreds of millions of Bibles with the wrong translation had been published, and conservative religion and conservative politics soon banded together to push an anti-gay agenda.

Roggio melded this research with her own personal story. When she was a teenager, her pastor father discovered that she was a lesbian and responded with a letter full of Bible verses imploring her to repent and forsake her identity. With the documentary, she filmed her father attending talks by Baldock and overall standing by his belief that the Bible condemns homosexuality as a sin. “I can’t compromise conviction,” he says in the film.

“Prior to even knowing about the 1946 mistranslation, I was led to it because I knew I needed to use scripture to be able to have a conversation with my parents to affirm my reality and my identity,” Roggio said.

##########

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 01, 2023 12:11PM

Different translations. I can't vouch for the accuracy:

https://www.christianity.com/bible/niv/1-corinthians/6-9-11

1 Corinthians represents Paul's instructions to the church. It does not represent the words of Jesus. Paul never met Jesus. It also reflects the mentality back then. Ancient people, like any people, were wise in some ways, and not so wise in others.

Date: December 01, 2023 12:24PM

and not just a same sex relationship.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 01, 2023 12:33PM

The article does not mention which translation they are referring to. There are many.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 01, 2023 01:05PM

What about the Ye Olde Testament gar-verbiage on the issue?

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: December 03, 2023 07:44AM

That's a flawed reasoning on several accounts.

1. It doesn't talk about the Bible's which were translated prior to that time and had rules/laws against Homosexuality.

2. Jesus never said he was getting rid of the laws of the Old Testament, only that he was it's fulfillment.

This means any rules against certain immoralities still were valid.

He reinforces this idea in Matthew 5 and 19 where he speaks against adultery. He then talks about an even harder law to keep where one does not even lust after others. He also has the only exception for divorce as sexual immorality (though, this probably would apply to those who are talking that a specific verse doesn't apply to homosexuality, but instead sexual immorality instead. This undermines their other arguments about the Old Testament where they want something to be more specific in regards to men laying with men rather than also being more broad though).

3. The strongest argument they may have is to accept one verse or the other. The argument many LGBTQI have is that the Old Testament and other verses are talking either about Male Prostitutes or young children (sometimes they can't make up their minds which one). This ignores the millenia of Jewish Customs and teachings that clarify this, as well as the centuries of Christian teachings on this matter.

4. In this light, the best solution is for them to simply let those who want the Christian Bible as it is to believe as they want, to let those who are LGBTQIA and want to interpret the Bible in a new way, alone to believe however they want, and finally that those who see that the Bible doesn't align with their lifestyle or beliefs to actually recognize that and then to live however they want.

The best is to each let the other live as they want and believe as long as it doesn't hurt someone else.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 03, 2023 10:43AM

Sort of. Homophobia is complex, of course. Many straight people find homosexuality threatening to their self-confidence, so they make their charter texts say what they want them to say. That has been going on for way longer than 1946.

Date: December 03, 2023 10:57AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 03, 2023 11:11AM

I'm grateful that my "Greatest Generation" (Depression/WWII) parents were always pretty much relaxed about homosexuality in others. They realized that it's a part of life. My mom used to refer to gay men as "confirmed bachelors," meaning, "Girl, don't bother. You aren't going to get anywhere with *him.* :)

Date: December 03, 2023 11:56AM

Why was that?

As others have noted, there was a famous Mormon female impersonator during that era. 1920s Berlin had all kinds of sexual freedom before the Nazis. When and why did sexuality become a "threat?"

##############

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_%C3%89poque

The Belle Époque or La Belle Époque (French: [bɛlepɔk]; French for "The Beautiful Era") is a period of French, Belgian and European history, usually considered to begin around 1871–1880 and to end with the outbreak of World War I in 1914. Occurring during the era of the Third French Republic, it was a period characterised by optimism, regional peace, economic prosperity, colonial expansion, and technological, scientific, and cultural innovations. In this era of France's cultural and artistic climate (particularly within Paris), the arts markedly flourished, and numerous masterpieces of literature, music, theatre, and visual art gained extensive recognition.

The Belle Époque was so named in retrospect, when it began to be considered a continental European "Golden Age" in contrast to the horrors of the Napoleonic Wars and World War I. The Belle Époque was a period in which, according to historian R. R. Palmer, "European civilisation achieved its greatest power in global politics, and also exerted its maximum influence upon peoples outside Europe."[1]

############

https://artvee.com/dl/arrow-collars-shirts/

Joseph Christian Leyendecker was a German-American illustrator. He is considered to be one of the preeminent American illustrators of the early 20th century. He is best known for his poster, book and advertising illustrations, the trade character known as The Arrow Collar Man, and his numerous covers for The Saturday Evening Post. Between 1896 and 1950, Leyendecker painted more than 400 magazine covers. During the Golden Age of American Illustration, for The Saturday Evening Post alone, J. C. Leyendecker produced 322 covers, as well as many advertisement illustrations for its interior pages. No other artist, until the arrival of Norman Rockwell two decades later, was so solidly identified with one publication. Leyendecker "virtually invented the whole idea of modern magazine design."

#############

The guys admire each other while the girl is friends with the dog.

https://artvee.com/dl/arrow-collars-cluett-shirts-4/

#############

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2023 12:04PM by anybody.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 03, 2023 11:43AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.