Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: November 30, 2023 07:21PM

A long article with Bundy’s story- paywalled, but this part from the end suggests he skipped the state

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2023/11/ammon-bundy-disappearance-peoples-rights-network/675939/

“Just a few weeks earlier, Bundy told me, he’d nearly given up and fled the state too. This whole saga could devour years of his life, he’d realized, and so rather than let it, he’d go elsewhere, start fresh. The kids had been upset at first, but they’d come around. The boxes were packed. The mover was scheduled. And then, as Bundy lay in bed on the morning they were supposed to leave, he thought he heard the voice of God. The Lord wanted him to stay and fight.
How long? He didn’t know. Fight how? He couldn’t say. But he trusted that this would all become clear in time. “I have to believe that the things going on here are going to mean something,” he said in a video about his decision. It was hard not to hear these words as a sort of desperate self-exhortation, the sort of thing you whisper to yourself over and over in the hope that repetition will make it so.

One morning a few weeks ago, Scott Malone arrived at the Bundy property to find it deserted. He’d come to pick up some pots and stoves he’d lent to Ammon for the apple harvest, and he found those in the driveway. Otherwise there was nothing. The trucks were gone. The house was cleaned out. The workshop was stripped. Bundy hadn’t even said goodbye—a noble act, Malone believed, meant to protect friends from being implicated.
A few days after they left, Lisa posted a farewell message on Facebook (“It’s not goodbye, it’s ‘I’ll see you later’”), but she and Ammon stopped answering my messages and calls. When I finally managed to get in touch with Ryan Bundy, he told me that his brother had tried to muster a group to fight with him, “but when it come down to it, only about half of ’em are willing to stand.” And so now, Ryan said, Ammon was a “refugee.”
Malone says he has no idea where Bundy is. Lawyers for St. Luke’s have heard that the family is in southern Utah, hardly an hour’s drive from where Cliven lives, and from where the family staged its first standoff nearly a decade ago. But Bundy seems to have kept his plan a secret, even from his father. “I don’t know why he quit,” Cliven told me a few days later. “My way of thinking is you can’t give up on something like this. You got a battle going, and it’s a terrible one, and you know”—he trailed off, seemingly at a loss—“I don’t know.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 30, 2023 07:34PM

Hmmmm. It doesn't sound like him but who knows. OTOH, he could be a unibomber cabin type. I have not heard anything about this in my local news. He's fairly recognizable. I wonder where he would go.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 30, 2023 08:03PM

He's probably holed up with Cliven in Nevada or some such place. Because, as you know, states don't extradite criminals to other states in this the early 19th century.

Date: December 01, 2023 11:39AM

That seems likely. This drama is not over.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 30, 2023 07:35PM

Google pointed me to an article claiming that local reporters have learned from neighbors that Ammon be scammin'; his house is empty.

Canada?

Date: November 30, 2023 07:37PM

So much for the law enforcement surveillance they said they were doing. They probably gave him a ride.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 30, 2023 09:32PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So much for the law enforcement surveillance they
said they were doing. They probably gave him a ride.

Exactly! this is the Ultimate KICK THE CAN DOWN THE ROAD / Dump your garbage in your neighbor's yard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2023 12:09AM by GNPE.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 30, 2023 11:16PM

He's such a narcissist that I doubt he will be able to keep his mouth shut for long. He'll do something to be the center of attention.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 01, 2023 12:53AM

He doesn’t seem to be short money. His shop was very nice and he was working on a very expensive truck. He can organize well. He clearly has signs of narcissism.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 03, 2023 03:40PM

The FBI should be able to track down the terrorist.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 03, 2023 04:33PM

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/community/boise/article282581598.html

"The health system, which won a defamation case against Bundy and one of his associates this year, has taken ownership of his Emmett property and succeeded in getting Bundy’s websites removed from the internet. Ever since an Ada County jury ordered that Bundy, Diego Rodriguez and their entities had to pay $52.5 million in damages for defaming St. Luke’s and some of its employees, the health system has been pushing hard to collect money. It has also been trying to get Bundy and Rodriguez to remove false, defamatory online statements about St. Luke’s and its staff as part of a judicial order."

"Welling, who has been cooperative with the court, agreed to hand the Emmett property over to St. Luke’s, according to documentation filed Friday afternoon. The transfer was described as part of a “settlement agreement,” according to the document. The property is now officially in St. Luke’s hands. Stidham told the Statesman that it was “clear Mr. Bundy had left” because the house was “stripped bare” when St. Luke’s conducted a home assessment in Emmett in November. Bundy violated a judge’s order by removing the home’s furnishings and other contents that were part of the sale, according to Stidham, who said St. Luke’s intends to move for contempt charges and sanctions."

"When it came to the defamatory statements online, St. Luke’s not only succeeded in getting those removed, but was able to get entire websites run by the defendants to be stricken from the internet."

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 03, 2023 04:43PM

Almond Bundy has resorted to the strategem of all defeated generals: declare victory and retreat.

With the emphasis on the latter.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 04, 2023 12:39AM

You suppose he took his temple recommends with?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 04, 2023 12:51AM

Yes, + it's a Lifetime, no renewal or expiration version, same as the GAs...

Once they changed it to
'Do you strive to me honest?', that was his ticket!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.