Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 07, 2023 01:17PM

Was out and about and saw the old style mormon piggy bank.

Basically a rectangular box with three coin slots.

The first says tithing.

The second says mission.

The third says savings.

I remember getting one as a child.

The tithing part was easy.

The mission part I thankfully rarely used, since I dodged that bullet.

The savings was just like a normal bank.

I think they had a version for girls that replaced the mission slot with temple marriage slot. Bearing im mind in those days temples were few and far between.

Anyone else have one?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 07, 2023 01:25PM

Three slots and two of them go ultimately to the church. That's teaching kids to put aside 66% for their incredibly greedy money grubbing church.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 07, 2023 02:10PM

I had one. Someone who came over for scouting took it. My mom was some sort of scout leader with another sister. The meetings were regularly held at my house and I couldn't be everywhere keeping an eye on my stuff. Lots of my personal affects were damaged or taken. I was told to not be selfish and let others have access to my stuff. Sorry to digress.

The LDS piggy bank wasn't really thought out well. The plastic crap had little plugs that wouldn't stay in, they fell out of the backside. There was no need to have a tithing slot- The church wants its MONEY...Right Away!!!

Why would you be holding it? They want your money in tithing or donations EVERY week. In my ward, they passed out tithing and donation envelopes in primary and young men's quorum. Remember the ones for coins with the drawstring that wrapped around a button/catch?

And if you weren't donating something every week, the leaders would hound your folks. My mom often would give me nothing would give me a quarter or two on Sundays.

The church really worked hard to brainwash you that your money always belonged to them.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 07, 2023 03:13PM

Mine was a simple box, about 6 inches long, three inches wide and 3 inches tall.

It was partitioned into three compartments.

It was made of pretty sturdy cardboard. The top was a simple lid with three slots that easily slipped on and off much like a shoe box lid, but fit a little tighter.

It wasn't made to be long term storage, you were supposed to empty the first of every month, pay your tithing, deposit into your missionary savings account and your personal savings account.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 07, 2023 04:12PM

paid tithing or not. I think I was about 18 when I first paid tithing and went to tithing settlement. I didn't have any mormon piggy bank either. We were NOT like the other mormon families. We used to think we were the dysfunctional family until we grew up and now we realized they are and were.

We're all out except my daughter of course. Had to be my daughter. I'm sure she pays extra to the church. But she didn't start that stuff while I was raising her. She's the only one who pays tithing so she has to try to compensate for the rest of us.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.