Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 16, 2023 12:47PM

Well, sort of free. Copy the subject line and use it for a google search and you should get the URL. I subscribe to Apple TV, so when I clicked the link, it went to my Apple TV app, so I can't copy the browser URL version. "Rats", as Charlie Brown would say.

Confession. I have never seen A Charlie Brown Christmas until today. There was an essay in the NYTimes a couple days ago by a Jewish writer explaining why he thought that program was the greatest half hour of television ever, even if it is arguably the most Christian of the Christmas specials. He went on at some length and detail, so it didn't sound like he was just pandering.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/14/arts/television/a-charlie-brown-christmas.html

[I assume paywalled if you have exceeded your free article allotment]

I googled to find out where it is streaming, and found out that the rights are owned by Apple TV, but they are streaming it completely free [* - there's always an * ] today and tomorrow (Dec 16,17). I watched for the first time in my life. Not sure how I managed to miss it for 58 years.

You need an AppleID login to stream it free, which leaves out the Android/PC people. Of course an AppleTV+ account works as well. If you don't have one, you can sign up for a 7 day free trial and then cancel, a monumental pain in the butt IMHO, but it works.

Greatest half hour of television ever? That might be a bit over-the-top, but I'm glad I finally saw it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 16, 2023 12:59PM

I thought it showed up on random TV stations practically every year. I've tried to watch it in the past. I don't remember much about it except "deeper meaning of Xmas" type of stuff.

I'm probably the only person on the planet who thought Charlie Brown stuff was kind of boring.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: December 19, 2023 01:27PM

>I thought it showed up on random TV stations practically every year.

It used to, back in the day. I think it was actually a big deal when it first came out on network television. I think it was the first Peanuts for TV production. (correct me if I'm wrong).

I picked up a DVD with several of the Peanuts specials on it a few years back, so it must have been in the $5 junk bin. But I guess we have it "on demand". ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2023 01:28PM by Gordon B. Stinky.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: December 16, 2023 01:47PM

I remember when I was a kid looking forward to all the Christmas specials that were on TV just once a year at Christmas time, before Cable TV and VCRs. They really were "special." If you missed it you'd have to wait till the next year to watch it.

Linus standing on the stage holding his blanket while reciting a few scriptures from the New Testament about the birth of Jesus is almost startling in its quiet simplicity. One of my favorites.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: December 17, 2023 06:36PM

Charles Schulz hated the cartoon; for all the reasons that make it perpetually charming.

Thanks for the link.

(We rarely miss it. That and Frosty and the Grinch and usually we catch at least Jules Bass‘s Rudolph as well.)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 17, 2023 06:48PM

seen it so many times. I'd watch it if it was easy to access. I'm an idiot when it comes to things like your explanation of how to get it free. My daughter always has an apple phone and definitely has an ID--but she is in New Mexico making her way to Utah in their motor home. It was a LONG trip home from Alaska starting in September. I'll let her know about seeing it free. I'm sure she would watch it.

(They've gone from Fairbanks and all the way to Tennessee and on a cruise and a Shania Twain concert staying with some friends who work with them in Alaska. I'm ANXIOUSLY WAITING TO SEE THEM especially their little dog.)

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2023 06:50PM by cl2.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 17, 2023 08:43PM

Wow, she gets around! Enjoy their visit- especially with the little dog. :-)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 12:54AM

I've loved all of the Charlie Brown specials ever since I was a kid. I'm so glad that children and families still get to enjoy them. Usually one of the non-cable networks shows them once each season.

I used to get the books of bound comic strips as well. Schults's drawing style really changed over the years. The early comics had a different look to the later ones.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 01:45PM

I have it in my collection. Got it at a Starbucks in Seattle on Christmas day years ago. My wife and I were visiting my kids and Starbucks and a Hum Bao place were literally the only things open downtown near Pike's Market. I got the movie (DVD) and the soundtrack (CD) together for $6.99.

You can get the DVD on Amazon for under $10.

https://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Brown-Christmas-50th-Anniversary/dp/B00M0JU3G0/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2D3SDG9UPZ9SD&keywords=a+charlie+brown+christmas+dvd&qid=1702924743&sprefix=A+Charlie+Brown+Christmas%2Caps%2C261&sr=8-1

I looked forward to seeing it on TV once a year as a kid, but now days, I do find it kind of depressing to be honest.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 03:55PM

What's a "DVD?"

Date: December 18, 2023 05:03PM

It's a type of "Talkie" but you can watch it at home. It's not like the Viewmaster you use for entertainment.

Date: December 18, 2023 05:08PM

I may have seen one in EOD's garage. I think it was on a shelf next to his Head 360 skis.

Date: December 18, 2023 05:41PM

I keep mine on a shelf in the basement.

And I actually have a pair of wooden ski's with a single slot for the leather boot strap leaning against the shelf. What are Head 360 ski's and where can I get them?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 06:27PM

Head 360s were the hand grenade!

Drop the first string to D, then return to 1968 and get in line...

Date: December 18, 2023 06:30PM

Listen: Roy G Biv has come unstuck in time.

He may well meet you in 1968 Los Vegas if not 1945 Dresden.

Date: December 18, 2023 06:48PM

Date: December 19, 2023 12:52PM

How about Liverpool in 1960? Maybe I can get in before George?

Date: December 19, 2023 01:27PM

But then you'd miss going on your mission!

Where would any of us be without our missions!!!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 05:32PM

I did see other Peanuts specials, just not this one. Vince Guaraldi's jazz is like snuggling up in a warm quilt.

I do remember a strip with Linus back in 1970, where he gets into a discussion with Santa Claus about Judas Maccabaeus, probably because of Handel's oratorio by the same name. He wishes Santa a Happy Hanukkah as he leaves. It was a very Linus thing to do.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.