Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: December 16, 2023 07:26PM

Like probate, genealogies, records, journals... I will talk to my therapist about stuff tomorrow. I will be 60 by the time I finish school as it currently stands.

Moism is the reason I could locate things quickly. I wonder if the church is counting dead ancestors in their numbers.

There is a hard line in the sand.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2023 04:57PM by lousyleper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 16, 2023 07:29PM

Sorry, I thought you were doing cyber security? My advice would be to get your Associates degree under your belt, while exploring a few options along the way. Once you really get going, it might be worth it to do school full time.

Date: December 16, 2023 08:21PM

You are right. Because I should forge ahead, Like I said yesterday, I said I was going to go for it. Referring to the Cybersecurity BS degree. But maybe even thenI am biting off too much. I need time to figure it out.

Date: December 16, 2023 08:34PM

I need to settle. The Criminal Justice degree was the first one I would be headed for. Once that one is complete, I said I was going to do Paralegal studies 2nd, and then a AAS Cybersecurity degree which can transfer to WGU for a bachelor's degree.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 16, 2023 07:32PM

At least you're choosing between two branches of law, both of which will never run out of their main subjects: crooks and dead people.

Maybe combine them!  One imagines that Gladys Lot's fore-parents alone would keep you busy!

Date: December 16, 2023 07:56PM

I have invested 60 bucks for the Psychology class, so far. I can still take the courses in my queue at 60 a month, but part of me thinks that I should be really doing genealogy, because I have already have taken courses with the National Genealogical Society, but they are about 10 years old.

I am certified in Land grants, probate, and the beginnings of genetic genealogy about 10 years back, The foundation is there, even though I will have to recertify.

Date: December 16, 2023 08:02PM

That I could always try to merge them?

Cybersecurity was the last thing I was going to go for. There were 3 associates involved. Cybersecurity AAS, Criminal law, and finally paralegal studies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2023 08:51PM by lousyleper.

Date: December 17, 2023 01:48PM

Ok, based on the order of my likes: top down best to least

History
Genealogy
Databases
Cybersecurity
Music

All 5 of these contend with each other frequently. History is my ultimate fav, but I will need a non hacked computer. My dad's computer has been hacked, and that led to mine being hacked, and everything was compromised (phones were exempt).

I don't know what I can do. My dad has disabled the hardware firewall on our router, and I have no idea why.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 17, 2023 11:37PM

Cybersecurity will be a high demand field for the next few decades at least. New government regulations and guidelines ensure that the business will be there, although today's spectacular cyber attacks provide plenty of incentive. It's spy vs spy in real life. If I wanted a new and interesting career, I would take up that one.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 03:56PM

+1

Date: December 16, 2023 08:49PM

Music (Theory, Bass Guitar, chords)
Genealogy (probate, Land grants, DNA, etc)
History (General, and Law)
Cybersecurity (for my dad)
Databases (any type, Big Data)

And others, but those are predominant in things.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 17, 2023 01:59PM

From what I have read, cybersecurity and data science are two areas that are very employable, and pay well. The paralegals where I live are not particularly well paid, but you'll have to look into that.

I would use your time pursuing an associates to take a course in each area, and see what interests you. By the time you get into upper division work, pick a major and stick to it. You can always change directions later if that area doesn't work out. But try not to spread yourself too thinly.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 18, 2023 09:48PM

To answer your question about whether LDS Inc counts dead people - I have seen no evidence at all that they count dead people from their genealogy records.

They do, however, count millions of people who were once baptized and now have nothing whatsoever to do with the church. No doubt some of these people have died and LDS Inc doesn't know about it, so in that sense they inadvertently count some dead people.

If LDS Inc has totally lost contact with someone, they continue to count them as members until they hit age 110, at which point LDS Inc will finally throw in the towel and assume they have died.

Date: December 18, 2023 09:58PM

I figured I needed a correct interpretation of the numbers. Records extraction *is* for the temples. I've done that too. My bishop told me that I needed to do as many records as possible.

He knew I served elsewhere, but expected a lot from me. I figured that he wanted it to make himself look good.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.