Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fisch frei ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 07:00AM

Crazy cousin’s Christmas letter mentions the “relativistic world.” This is a new phrase to me, but the context suggests Mormon moral superiority as opposed to the rest of the world- of course. Is this a current phrase?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 07:22AM

"Cultural relativism," "moral relativism," yes, those are contemporary phrases. Mormonism, by implied contrast, would be the North Star, never changing its doctrines or its values.

The irony is lost only on Mormons.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 12:02PM

Pepsi is the one true cola.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 02:03PM

Heresy!

Posted by: fischfrei ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 11:28AM

Thanks, Lot's Wife, for clarifying. Part of the message included my cousin's feeling that "God has spent all his time blessing me this past year!" Of course. Nothing like a dose of moral superiority and arrogance says "Merry Christmas" better. LOL

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 12:00PM

So many ironies.

A church that reverses itself on race, on polygamy, on gay rights (several reversals on that one), on other moral issues: Mormons are the moral relativists, not "the world."

"I am completely committed to my morals unless my leader changes his mind, then I'll be committed to his morals."

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 12:27PM

Wait. I thought God was the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow so how could anything change?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 01:19PM

dagny Wrote:
----------------------------
> Wait.  I thought God was
> the same yesterday, today,
> and tomorrow, so how could
> anything change?

The important thing that's the same Y, T & T is that everything changes.

Posted by: fischfrei ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 08:34PM

Dagny - for the KoolAid loving crowd, it is always the "Hokey Pokey." (Hokum Pokum)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2023 08:38PM by fischfrei.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 08:57PM

LOL

You do the Hokey Pokey and you turn yourself around!

The temple prayer circle comes to mind.

The church is a giant game of Simon Says.

Date: December 22, 2023 09:01PM

TBMs hope for a benevolent master and make do with whatever they get.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 10:20AM

Is Mormon doctrine changed by revelation?

Or

Is Mormon doctrine changed by public relations?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 10:30AM

I think both. God gave up trying to inspire and reveal to the prophet and found it more efficient to go directly to the PR department. Seemed to work even better than using Wendy and her magic pen as conduit.

Date: December 20, 2023 11:54AM

In the church, the decisions of the decider are called revelations.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 20, 2023 08:19PM

It is the whole point of the "Happiness Letter" (Q.V.). It is also a straw man trotted out by Mormons to make them feel justified for their absolute bigotry and double standards.

Thievery is always bad- unless you are rich and misrepresent your company's products to cheat your impoverished customers. Sex outside of marriage is always bad- unless you are a priesthood holder and swear you will never rape your daughter ever again, really, really, this time. Pride is always bad- except when you go to every temple in Europe and then tell everyone all about in Fast and Testimony Meeting. Killing is always bad- except when you kick your gay child out and he commits suicide. And on and on.

They paint a picture of everybody except Mormons constantly doing bad things and inventing justifications. It would be humorous if it weren't so tragic.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 12:33PM

IMO the mindset will get worse. I stayed around because there were aspects to Mormonism that made it tolerable. They still had dinners, people spoke to you, bishops were more relaxed, you could do fundraisers, activities, etc.

Now its just pay and obey. For those of us who could see the writing on the wall, we got out, since there was no substance left. Those remaining who truly believe sit upon their throne of pious nothingness that has no foundation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.