Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 02, 2024 10:52PM

In the gospels, Jesus does an exorcism on a guy and the demons enter into a herd of pigs. The pigs run off a cliff, presumably resulting in the loss of the pigs. Whenever I hear that story, I think about the owner of the pigs.

Did he get reimbursed? Did Jesus pull a gold coin out from behind the dude's ear? Did Judas, being the treasurer of the apostles, need 30 pieces of silver to pay off the pig farmer?

Bible stories tend to have these loose ends.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bacon ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 01:30AM

What was the pet pig's name?

Posted by: Nena ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 05:36AM

The entire story is a parable. The demon says it is "Legion", which also happens to be the name of the Roman military units occupying the country. It is likely that the story represents an earlier version of Jesus who was more politically radical and Jewish nationalist because it could represent the casting out of a Roman force.

The pigs are unclean animals under Jewish law and probably belonged to a Gentile. Again, the casting out of Gentile pollution from the homeland of the Jews.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 06:24AM

I may be wrong, because I don't know the original Greek text, but in all the several times (5 or 6) when I was made to study this text, the word Legion was never interpreted as being a dig at the Romans. Instead it was (I think rightly) seen as indicating that the demon was made of multiple spirits. I would need more evidence before agreeing with your premise.

Posted by: Nena ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 08:23AM

Soft Machine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I may be wrong, because I don't know the original
> Greek text, but in all the several times (5 or 6)
> when I was made to study this text, the word
> Legion was never interpreted as being a dig at the
> Romans. Instead it was (I think rightly) seen as
> indicating that the demon was made of multiple
> spirits. I would need more evidence before
> agreeing with your premise.

There are plenty of other hints that Jesus was originally a Jewish nationalist. His followers included people called "Zealot" and "Iscariot." Both of these appear to be terms for radical Jewish nationalists, but why would they be attracted to a non-violent, non-nationalist leader?

We also learn that in John 10, Jesus celebrated Hanukkah which celebrated the Maccabees, another nationalist movement.

When all this is put together it provides a very convincing explanation of why the Romans had him executed.

"Legion" is a Roman unit. The pigs are also symbols of Gentile occupation of the Jewish homeland.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 08:44AM

You left out the "for we are many" part.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 09:39AM

I thought this was going to be about the Religious Right.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 10:46AM

yes, they left out the part about the enterprising young fellow that opened the barbeque joint at the base of the cliff

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.