Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 01:20PM

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/saltlaketribune/name/maxine-nelson-bruin-obituary?id=53820537

"..
Her legacy and light will live on through them, as she has successfully been able to stop the passing of the utterly traumatic experiences forced on her in childhood. Maxine was raised in a cult that practiced satanic ritualistic abuse, disguised as an altruistic Mormon household living "the word of God". She was not given her strength, but despite all odds, found a way to cultivate a unique kind of power. Her parents will intentionally not be honored in this text, though we do hope that her thirteen siblings will find courage through her example to support their own healing process."

RIP to this Legand

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 01:47PM

Very sad.

She obviously was perceived as the black sheep of the family and thus received little or no support during her terminal fight of cancer.

Posted by: unconventionalideas ( )
Date: December 24, 2023 11:51PM

A cult gets in the way of family love. That may be one of the most insidious things about it.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 25, 2023 12:47AM

Well said.

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: December 28, 2023 08:53AM

This is my cousin. To much coincidence to not be. Name, a sister Sherri, and 14 kids in the family. Sad that I learn of her passing via this post. I scoured her fathers and siblings Facebook pages but find no mention of her passing. Another testament of how the church causes family discord. Last time I saw her was at my aunt's funeral 8 years ago.
Maxine was child #9, and named after our grandmother. The oldest sibling is a year younger than me. When I was a wee lad, our families would see each other more than we did as we all grew older. Didn't live close to each other and had to make trips to visit. I remember the visits mostly by the strict regimen of family prayer/scripture study in the mornings and family prayer every night. Kind of gave me the weebiejeebies. Each child had an assigned task to do every day for meals or other household activities. Very regimented, religious, and ran by the patriarch. I put it aside as to how it worked with such a BIG family. Had to have some order to it.
Honestly, as their family grew and we got older we didn't visit as much, Maxine was about as far down as I remember the siblings. The oldest 5-6 kids and I are well acquainted. The younger siblings I know in name only.
From the comments left on the obit, seems like Maxine was well thought of, respected and admired by those that knew her. Too bad that the family couldn't see past the rigid religious requirements that it placed on her and know her as well. RIP cousin.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: January 06, 2024 02:22AM

Thanks for your insights.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.