Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 02:35PM

https://www.ncronline.org/vatican/vatican-news/italian-priest-excommunicated-slandering-pope-francis-during-mass

Excerpts:

“An Italian Catholic priest has been excommunicated for having publicly committed "an act of a schismatic nature" while celebrating Mass at his parish near Livorno.

“The priest, Fr. Ramon Guidetti, dedicated his homily Dec. 31 to marking the anniversary of the death of Pope Benedict XVI, whom he named as being "the true pope" who "never fled the barque of Peter."

“In his 20-minute homily, the 48-year-old priest detailed the qualities of "real priests" and cardinals versus those who side with "Bergoglio [Pope Francis] and his mercenaries." He said the See of Peter is occupied by a "masonic Jesuit tied to a group of globalists, an antipope usurper."

“Bishop Simone Giusti of Livorno issued the decree declaring the priest's excommunication Jan. 1 and posted it on the diocese's website.

“The bishop declared that Guidetti had incurred automatic excommunication, according to canon 1364.1 of the Code of Canon Law, dealing with offenses against the faith and the unity of the church."

This part stands out to me as being a familiar protective mechanism employed by religious organizations to keep the faithful on the straight and narrow (as defined by the leaders):

“The communique warned all priests and lay faithful to not take part in any celebrations or forms of worship with Guidetti as they, too, would incur automatic excommunication.”

----------

I’m not in favour of exxing people absent their complete obedience to the organization and its demands and expectations. But. I guess if you’re going to be a priest, which is an exceptional declaration of absolute devotion to a system of religious beliefs and practices and expectations you have to pretty much walk the line. Independent thinking or acting is not encouraged as part of the culture.

In other religions or group situations, perhaps a less extreme involvement but the same type of devotion could apply. Certainly the Catholic Church is not the only one that employs a strict mechanism to disown anyone displaying any hint of dissidence. This is understandable, perhaps necessary, from the organization’s perspective but it can be rough on the individual.

This article caught my eye with the headline: "Italian priest excommunicated for slandering Pope Francis".

I didn't know that was a thing (you can't slander the Pope) but yeah, I guess that makes sense. At least when it comes to priests.

Strange kind of devotion to a different pope (who is no longer with us). And a phrase I've never heard before while describing this priest's type of transgression: "an act of a schismatic nature".

I highly doubt any priest, with however great a following, could possibly re-define the mother church by extolling a former pope, now deceased, as the true leader.

Also, a bit difficult for the former pope to offer any ongoing inspiration going forward.

No choice really but to schism off if you're that serious about it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2024 02:40PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 03:01PM

"Youse guys, lissena-me if'n youse knowz what's good ferya: youse guys send up da white smoke for our guy, Cardinal Guido 'da pig' Spamoni ... or else!"

That's what mormonism is missing, Danites with some verified kills!!  Yeah, I get it; BY tried to get some of that old time religion going, but it petered out because lazy ass mobsters refused to make the trip across the plains!

There are currently no mormons having any nightmares about sleeping wit da fishes...

Mormonism needs a bunch 'bent-nose' GAs, or else...

Date: January 03, 2024 03:19PM

Thanks for your service, EOD, in bringing it bam on topic. It does bring to mind the seamy underbelly that too often exists.

To be excruciatingly fair, I must acknowledge that of course going with the flow is a prime expectation in most organizations, including churches. Can't have opposition or disobedience in the ranks in most places. Conformity is much more prized as well as necessary to make things work. But that's why square pegs and round holes can be challenging. Especially if you're the peg amongst the holes.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 04, 2024 01:01AM

"That's what mormonism is missing, Danites"

The Church has its own trained security and they pack more than what is normally accentuated by temple garments. Russ may have better protection than the pope. Just in case God doesn't come through in a pinch, based on His track record.

In your opinion, is Latin Mass a good place to pick up hot Latinas?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 05:08PM

Excommunication in the RC church is extremely rare. It almost never happens to the ordinary members. In this case it was the equivalent of an employee severely badmouthing and undermining his boss at a company dinner. It's not going to go well for that employee in any organization.

Church authorities must have been afraid that this priest's ideas might gain some traction. Hence the warnings and threats to his fellow priests and the parishioners. I've personally never heard of such a thing. It is actually extremely common for church members to disagree with the Pope on various things. I know that my family members never completely toed the line.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 03, 2024 11:56PM

Read a recent article about a parish where the Latin Mass* is celebrated. Quite to the contrary, the reporter noted an abundance of young families with children--and children on the way.**
Anyway, the FBI is keeping a close eye on them.

*I have no theological sympathy for the Latin Mass. "All Greek to me," you know.

**BTW, they're called "babies."

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 04, 2024 01:24AM

So Fr. Ramon Guidetti may be right about Pope Francis being a globalist douchebag. I can see getting fired for saying so. Note to Ramon: Drink the sacramental wine AFTER the sermon.

Latin Mass is RC's main selling feature. Rebranding attempts betray a lack of understanding of and appreciation for the pope's own church.

Where have we seen that before? TSCC has dumped the populist aspect of its religion to cater to its upper class. It is building a temple-based Mormon archipelago for TBMs who compete for housing around temples. It may be about time. Jesus's message of caring for the poor is bad for business. A country club model is much better.

Date: January 04, 2024 05:22AM

The Latin mass was mostly a battle or issue back in my Greatest Generation parents' day. I participated in the Latin mass as a *very* young child, having absolutely no comprehension of it whatsoever. Then the Pope decided that it would be a good idea if everyone who attended mass worldwide had some idea of what was going on. Ya' think? So the major battle was fought in the early 1960s, after what was known as "Vatican II," which enacted many changes in the church and upset many traditionalists at the time. Francis is only tightening things up.

Oh, and by the way, Caffiend, I can assure you that no legislator will ever force you, personally, to have an abortion. Although I must say that I have had some days when the thought of a required amputation of the penis and testicles of any convicted rapist appeals greatly.

Date: January 04, 2024 05:40AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Although I must
> say that I have had some days when the thought of
> a required amputation of the penis and testicles
> of any convicted rapist appeals greatly.

Ouch. Made me shiver & I'm not male. I get the impulse though.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 04, 2024 01:31PM

I'm pretty sure if an LDS bishop got up in Sacrament Meeting and said Rusty was a tool of Satan and should be released without a Vote of Thanks™, the bishop would be excommunicated. Nothing even remotely surprising in this story.

Where's Father Guido Sarducci when you need him?

Date: January 04, 2024 01:39PM

Oh yes I agree. Nothing at all surprising. I just thought the headline was funny. And the description of the offence - slandering the Pope - lol. The unforgivable sin.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 04, 2024 05:34PM

I initially misread it as slathering the pope. Oops.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: January 06, 2024 04:16AM

Quoting from the article, Nightingale wrote in part:

"“The priest, Fr. Ramon Guidetti, dedicated his homily Dec. 31 to marking the anniversary of the death of Pope Benedict XVI, whom he named as being "the true pope" who "never fled the barque of Peter.""

Regardless of whether or not the celebration was a Latin or English or any other language Mass, I would not support this creep. Singing the praises of Pope Benedict XVI, who made cardinals out of purported Nazi sympathizers, does not make one a reformer hero in my book. Now if this priest was more prone to reforms in the area of priests accused of child sexual abuse...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 06, 2024 04:36AM

+A hearty yes.

When listening to praise, it's important to consider the speaker's interests.

Date: January 06, 2024 07:58AM

Benedict, who was born Joseph Ratzinger, was once one of the most conservative, powerful, and feared members of the Vatican curia (the entrenched bureaucracy of Vatican City.) I can see a very old-school priest wanting him back. IMO it's a wonder that Benedict did not do any more damage than he did as pope.

He and Francis could not be more different, although they both dropped the ball (and continue to drop the ball) in terms of child sexual abuse within the church.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 08, 2024 02:21PM

I only sustain sustain Gordon B Hinckley as prophet, seer, and revelator and President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Anyone else is an imposter.

I know this is a joke, but as a ten year old I really didn't want the old bishop in my ward to be released. The new bishop was a major prick and I have written gobs of interactions about the asshole.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2024 02:25PM by messygoop.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.