Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Concerned ( )
Date: January 08, 2024 02:39PM

Went to a Sat Night Adult Stake Conference session. We had member of Area 70 plus President of Q of 70 there, New Stake President tomorrow so wanted to see what the topics would be covered. The female speaker from Young Single Adults was concerned seeing friends leaving Church for no good reason. She wondered why she was still at Church!!! She really stressed we need to LOVE EVERYONE NO MATTER WHO THEY ARE.

Mission President and his wife spoke. Mission President spoke of keeping covenants so we can see our potential. Then his wife spoke. Two words "Space Cadet!" I can tell you I can see who is running the mission. She talked about becoming a senior missionary and how valuable they are etc. I am surprised she did not pass sign up sheets around.

Then the 70 spoke and it was good. Try not to fear.

Then President of Q of 70 spoke. I got mixed messages. Prophets point us in the direction to see Jesus. No problem with that. But the worship of Dusty from this guy was something else. His buddy just got promoted to apostle and I got the feeling listening to this guy he felt he should have been called. (I do not think I am suppose to think like that.) Then we were told we need to go to the temple. He made a comment that Dusty made to some Church group earlier. Rusty just gave his permission to use this comment now. Rusty said the veil in the temple represents Jesús Christ. That got my attention. I have been a long time member and temple goer up until about a year ago. Never heard that before. Then the second comment was even more bizarre. He said that Dusty said that that when we put on the garment each day we are putting on the garment of Christ just like the garment Jesus had on the cross. And crossing over the temple veil is the same as Jesus giving up his earthly garment and body. When we put on the garment we are doing what Jesus did at the veil. When I went through in 1967 I was told that the garment was to be a "shield and protection" for me. He went on to say that everything in the temple is all about what happens at the veil and everything is about Jesus..

Prior to this he talked about Africa and the growth of the Church and members over there. Things are booming according to him except they are short of worthy Priesthood men.( I guess they are off waring with other tribes) He also said that there are so many new people from different countries that the Church is changing in America too. (Translated: we have so many members crossing the border that the mix of members in our stakes are changing and we need to be accepting of these people as they are God's children.)

It was an okay meeting. The area 70 was the best speaker. Very sincere. The President of Q of 70 had to let us know of his worlding travels, his association with Dusty and how great of his love for himself, I mean others. But probably will be a while before I attend another Sat night meeting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 08, 2024 03:17PM

Why don't they advocate that you are approaching exaltation every time you write a check to LDS Corp?

Jesus is smiling when you pay your tithing.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: January 08, 2024 03:22PM

given the new allegedly christ centered endowment, I can see why Dusty is trying to spin the Gs as Christ. I think a chunk of doctrine will have to be retconned or newly relayered to make that one stick.

Of course, a good die off of us more aged folks would accomplish about the same thing.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 08, 2024 04:56PM

> The female speaker from Young
> Single Adults was concerned
> seeing friends leaving Church
> for no good reason.

What's wrong with a bad reason for leaving the church?

For those of us who consider it likely that around 2/3's of the 17,000,000 'members' of the church are inactive, it seems reasonable to suppose that 11,390,000 found at least 'sufficient' reason to leave the church.

I don't think of mormonism as a religion.  I think of it as an expensive, time consuming, and very boring hobby in which a lot of pretending (role-playing) takes place.

There are some 'players' who think it's real, they "KNOW" that ghawd is watching them and that the supposed game prizes are REAL.

The majority don't KNOW it's all true, but they're comfortable playing the game, and equally comfortable violating the rules of the game when it's useful or convenient to do so.  They aren't worried about the Hereafter; they just want to be comfortable and pampered NOW.  They absolutely do not believe that ghawd is watching them and they don't fear ghawd's judgment.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 08, 2024 06:09PM

> I don't think of mormonism as a religion.  I
> think of it as an expensive, time consuming, and
> very boring hobby in which a lot of pretending
> (role-playing) takes place.

Right? Expensive and boring.

Why not just take up the accordion and join a mariachi band?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.