Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: December 31, 2023 12:39PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 31, 2023 12:59PM

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/22/us/mormon-lds-name-change-revelation/index.html

" When the messages come during the dark of night, Russell M. Nelson reaches for his lighted pen and takes dictation from the Lord.

“OK dear, it’s happening,” the president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints tells his wife, Wendy Nelson.

“I just remain quiet and soon he’s sitting up at the side of the bed, writing,” she said in a recent church video."

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 31, 2023 01:24PM

Substitute a lighted seer stone and you have JS, part duh.

Date: December 31, 2023 03:53PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2023 03:54PM by lousyleper.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 31, 2023 02:26PM

He's been in power for years now. Can we stop taking our vitamins?

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: December 31, 2023 03:43PM

The prophet of cutesy sayings.

Covenant path, think celestial, come follow me, take your vitamins, don't say Mormon

Or maybe not so cute.

Date: December 31, 2023 04:51PM

They all come up with new catchwords, new platitudes. Then they get tired and . . .

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 01, 2024 12:05AM

They are basically disposable. Tens years is a long term for a modern prophet since they are so old when they become one. Look how soon Gordon B Hinkley and Thomas S Monson were forgotten.

The member like change so a change in policy, a new slogan gets them excited. It’s all quite delusional. It’s all about the illusion of doing something when really the church is just spinning it’s wheels and blowing smoke.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 31, 2023 08:47PM

that I was at my disabled brother's place (our parents' home) putting up his Christmas tree a few weeks ago and there on the end table was a nightlight that says think celestial on it. I asked him where he got it and he said they were handing them out after church as they left the building.

How much did all those little trinkets cost them?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 31, 2023 09:24PM

It's quite possible that that got some local rich mormon to buy them to give away ... maybe even likely.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 01, 2024 04:09AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's quite possible that that got some local rich
> mormon to buy them to give away ... maybe even
> likely.

This ^^^^

The ward budget may allow for some to be purchased, but every ward has a wealthy donor (or two) who the leadership routinely call upon for "help us with..."

As many of us are aware, some ward members are forever the ward charity project. My family was and it began at a terrible time in my life. I still feel extremely embarrassed that my family became a ward project for several years. My dad had a people problem dealing with his health issues and a prick for bishop who didn't understand that church chairs greatly agitated his sore back. The bishop sent different ward leaders to read Ensign articles touting the love for the BoM (which my dad didn't care for). The gesture of intruding every night to fix my dad only poured gasoline on his fire and disdain for the actions of the church leaders. My dad became so agitated that he ran them off with his hunting rifle on Friday night (they started their December visits beginning on Monday- interrupting his Monday night football game).

Date: January 01, 2024 04:13AM

Bravo, Dad!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 31, 2023 03:31PM

When moved by The Spirit™ and a need to pee in the middle of the night, he considers any random thought he has as coming straight from Kolob, and he has a lighted pen by his bedside that he uses to record the revelation-lite.

That's about all there is to the story. No gold plates or jumping over logs or any of that. It is a step up from a rock in a hat.

Date: December 31, 2023 04:55PM

Good to know!

I read the CNN article, it totally discounts Nelson. Moses in a Business suit. Lol

Date: December 31, 2023 08:50PM

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: December 31, 2023 10:00PM

Desperately trying to be relevant.

Somehow Deseret Book missed the boat in not marketing "BigNellie Signature series lighted pens".

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 01, 2024 08:39AM

Imagine being so arrogant to think that you speak for God. Why do people sustain this nonsense?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 01, 2024 10:55AM

Unfortunately, people are taught that there needs to intermediaries between the common person and god.

I always found it odd that a god that could create the universe couldn't find a way to reveal the truth and way to all his children without needing to use mundane means.

God leaves billions of his children in darkness, then judges them according to rules twisted and warped by men.

Not just Rusty, but hundreds if not thousands of people every day claim god sent them to the world with messages and commandments fir us

I remember being taught in primary that god was too busy to visit us individually. Then being taught he hears and answers prayers.

Posted by: Non-mo ( )
Date: January 12, 2024 07:42AM

I don't think he is getting divine revelation but many people do get ideas at nighttime or from dreams. It sounds to me more like he has an overactive mind which stops him getting to sleep. I think he feels he has a lot to do in his time as president. The sad thing is that he has no sense of esthetics or spirituality, he's an administrator.

Date: January 12, 2024 11:53AM

> It sounds to me more like he has an
> overactive mind which stops him getting to sleep.

The man is 99 years old. It's not "an overactive mind" that's keeping him up at night.

Date: January 12, 2024 11:54AM

Snort

Date: January 12, 2024 10:20AM

I don't think he's had a hard time getting most members aboard. Yes, I think the oldest and most staunch Mormons dislike the changes, but they still acknowledge that he's the prophet.

I would be willing to bet that his greatest challenge in changing policies is when he attempts to challenge LDS Corp culture (church office building).

From my experiences working in corporate setting, workers and mangers do not like changes. At my employment, we had a kerfuffle last week regarding the dress code. We have a casual Friday attire that became mangled last week. We had an unexpected wellness day amended to our calendar, so some of the bosses sent out memos to be casual on Thursday. The visiting high rollers in the Corp came in and were not amused. We all had a late meeting to adhere to Corp dress code. I'm a salary person so staying an extra 30 minutes to be told who you are more unproductive wearing a collarless shirt is a huge turn-off.

I can only imagine Nelson taking away the church office's donut and hot chocolate bars being replaced with fruit and bottled water. People do not like change.

Posted by: Arkwright ( )
Date: January 15, 2024 07:13AM

There is a bizarre cult of change around that is being promoted everywhere. If you oppose a change you are accused of being backward etc.

Change happens anyway, but the worship of change is ludicrous. Change is not necessarily a good thing. Rot and decay are as much change as improvement are. We should work for improvement, and not change from those who wish us ill like Nelson.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 15, 2024 04:13PM

A lighted pen? What a nifty idea! I want one!

Date: January 15, 2024 04:15PM

It might keep you up at night.

;-)

Date: January 15, 2024 04:55PM

I always thought it easier just to turn the light on or go to another room if I had some sort of brain storm moment in the middle of night. I'm not wealthy by any means, but I can afford to have a writing tablet and a working pen in every room of the house.

Giving this more thought, the lighted pen sounds really daft. If one can't get out of bed to write down one's thoughts before forgetting then maybe the idea wasn't very important to begin with.

Date: January 15, 2024 05:54PM

I wonder if the poor old guy wasn't allowed to have a small lamp on his nightstand by his bed like normal people have for such things.

No doubt the lighted pen was an alternate less intrusive light source so he wouldn't disturb the sleeping beauty snoring beside him. No wonder she thought the lighted pen was such a swell thing.

Posted by: Ineffable B*tch ( )
Date: January 15, 2024 06:13PM

dagny Wrote:
> . . . the
> sleeping beauty snoring beside him.

I loved this comment so much that I had to assume my alternate personality to post this reply!

Date: January 15, 2024 06:26PM

She probably wears one of those weird hair nets for sleeping so she doesn't mess up her hairdo too! You're not the only IB around!

I kill me.

Date: January 15, 2024 07:43PM

I'm laughing right now.

Date: January 15, 2024 06:01PM

Was there a lighted eraser?

Posted by: elderodddog ( )
Date: January 15, 2024 06:16PM

> Was there a lighted eraser?

Yes, but it got stuck.

--Gladys, posting as my alternate alternate personalty lest it feel ignored.

Date: January 15, 2024 06:21PM

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 15, 2024 11:00PM

In this age of literally everyone having a smart phone, why is Rusty using a lighted pen to record his inspired ideas?

Why not just record it on the phone and text the results to his secretary to properly record and publish the results.

No worry about scribbles and misspelled words, auto correct would be beneficial.

Date: January 15, 2024 11:26PM

Again, at 99 years old he's probably not able to see or type well enough to use a smart phone for texting or email.

Posted by: Johnny ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 06:06AM

tumwater Wrote:
> In this age of literally everyone having a smart
> phone, why is Rusty using a lighted pen to record
> his inspired ideas?
>
> Why not just record it on the phone and text the
> results to his secretary to properly record and
> publish the results.
>
> No worry about scribbles and misspelled words,
> auto correct would be beneficial.

Or he could just set up a camera in the bedroom like they did in that film "Paranormal Activity". That way he could see every time a Nephite entered the room while he was asleep.

Posted by: agnome ( )
Date: January 20, 2024 06:26AM

tumwater Wrote:
> In this age of literally everyone having a smart
> phone, why is Rusty using a lighted pen to record
> his inspired ideas?

Bad idea. Using a smart phone will mean that the light disturbs his sleeping patterns even more.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.