Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Toronto Boy ( )
Date: January 15, 2024 11:51AM

The church has a website with videos for the CFM course. I watched one last night. It was showing Moroni being chased by 3 Lamanites. He was trying to hide the plates. Just as he was hiding them they shot him with an arrow and you could see it sticking out his back. They then asked the Question "Where would we be if the Lamanites had killed Moroni before he buried the plates?"

Here is my take away. Picture of Nephi in CFM about to kill Laban. This video of Lamanites killing Moroni. Is this the American culture of Cowboys and Indians being used to teach about the book of Mormon? The video seemed like it.

Here are my comments. I took 2 full courses on Aboriginals from the U of Toronto and the U of Alberta recently. Taught by professors who were Aboriginal. Great courses. I did not get any sense that the Aboriginals had wars between themselves. The reason as explained. Each Indian nation has specific goods they would trade. The trades routes across North and South America were vast. The trade goods so they could live. They did not have wars. It was the white man who took those good away and trade routes away that created the wars.

My second observation. Why have we not found any plates similar to the ones in the video that the Lamanites took. According to BoM Mormon translates from lots of plates to make plates for BoM. Why have none ever been found?

My third observation. In Canada in Southern Alberta, BC and another southern provinces we have "Writing on the Wall" National parks. These tell the history over time. They are wonderful to look at. The history of these Nations were recorded on rock walls and rocks on the ground, not plates. Then in BC we have totem poles that describes family history and events that is recorded and they did not use plates. My university professors said that was the way they preserved history as well as word of mouth. Maybe the professors are wrong, after all they are only Aboriginal. The Mormon Church had gold plates that told the history. And we know from General Conference the Church has prophets who never lie. And when I was young I went to the pageant every year from age 12 and up and heard Apostles testify this is the place that the plates were buried. And prophets and apostles never lie right. I felt the spirit testify to me what they said was true.

Then when taking these courses I felt that is was very true also and maybe I was deceived because growing up I did not have all the facts.

One last fact. I lived in Colorado for 20 years. Gt to know from Aboriginals. They told me that horses did not exist until the Spanish came and brought them. And they loved the house so much they use to baptize them. I had that verified by many of the UTE Aboriginals in Colorado. I hope you enjoyed lesson 2 from CFM.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 15, 2024 12:00PM

I didn't know about the Come Follow Me stuff. Thanks for passing on what your Aboriginal Professors had to say.

I looked up some and I see the CFMs are going to be now for teaching in the home? I guess that's a good way to stay under the radar with the BoM.

Posted by: ShiztheBreathless ( )
Date: January 15, 2024 12:51PM

If you have True Faith, this one is so easy.

The two reasons you don't find metal/Gold plates all over is because the Lamanites did not have book bags and they did not have Public Libraries. You know, small backpacks to carry the books/plates in. Public Libraries where the books/plates were stored and you could go and check them out to read.

Look at most schoolyards and you will see kids with these book bags. Most schools have a library and most towns now have Public Libraries.

Because of this all the plates were stored away where the rabble and unbelievers can't find them - just like Joseph's Gold Plates.

If they were smart enough to have book bags and Public Libraries we would see these written plates all over the place.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 15, 2024 01:33PM

Why are they focused on plates when the church now acknowledges that JS never used any plates when putting his face to stare at a rock in the hat?

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: January 15, 2024 01:56PM

Three Lamanites with bows & arrows? Joseph Smith declared otherwise — it was six Lamanites with swords. The CFM writers are clearly lacking faith.

"At a meeting at Spanish Fork, Utah Co., in the winter of 1896, Brother Higginson stated in my presence that Thomas B. Marsh told him that the Prophet Joseph Smith told him (Thomas B. Marsh, he being then President of the Twelve), that he became very anxious to know something of the fate of Moroni, and in answer to prayer the Lord gave Joseph a vision, in which appeared a wild country and on the scene was Moroni after whom were six Indians in pursuit; he stopped and one of the Indians stepped forward and measured swords with him. Moroni smote him and he fell dead; another Indian advanced and contended with him; this Indian also fell by his sword; a third Indian then stepped forth and met the same fate; a fourth afterwards contended with him, but in the struggle with the fourth, Moroni, being exhausted, was killed. Thus ended the life of Moroni."

https://rsc.byu.edu/book-mormon-fourth-nephi-through-moroni-zion-destruction/moroni-last-nephite-prophets

I especially like how the bad guys attack one by one, even after a few of them have been killed that way. Very sporting of them.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 15, 2024 02:07PM

Moroni was very, very tired at that point. It took lots of energy to kill when all you had was a wooden sword.

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: January 15, 2024 03:10PM

Wooden sword? Pshaw.

Moroni's sword was fashioned from the finest Valyrian steel, forged in the fires of Rivendell by one of Joseph's ancestors, who was of course a Smith.

It all fits together so neatly, it must be true.

Date: January 15, 2024 03:18PM

Shhhh! Don't mention Riv*nd*ll lest you inadvertently summon the elfin EOD from the netherworld.

And once he's out and about, the neighborhood will go to hell.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 15, 2024 02:22PM

At the top of a nearby hill stood the
Three Nephites, watching Moroni contend
with the six Lamanites, one by one.

In the time it took for the events to
transpire, the Three laid out blankets
and took their ease, talking among
themselves as they watched.

When it was over, and Moroni lay dead,
the Three Nephites rose and called out
to the two remaining Lamanites, "Yo,
yo, yo, where da White Women at?"

Posted by: XY Chromosome ( )
Date: January 15, 2024 02:23PM

Don't know about Canadian aboriginal people, but those in what is now the United States warred with each other time and time again. It would take a religious like whopper of a lie to believe otherwise.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 15, 2024 02:47PM

Chloroform in print. The big miracle is Martin Harris was dumb enough to mortgage his farm and have EB Grandin laugh all the way to the bank.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 16, 2024 10:13AM

Martin may have been an easy mark, but he funded what became a serious religious movement which became a financial empire.

Not much difference there, come to think of it.

Posted by: agnome ( )
Date: January 20, 2024 06:27AM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chloroform in print. The big miracle is Martin
> Harris was dumb enough to mortgage his farm and
> have EB Grandin laugh all the way to the bank.

In all seriousness, it could have made money. It did eventually just after a longer period than Martin Harris anticipated.

Date: January 20, 2024 12:58PM

None of the money accrued to Harris. He was used; his was a terrible and gullible miscalculation.

Date: January 15, 2024 02:56PM

I suspect your source was describing the Hopewell horizon of eastern north America. It extended from above Toronto in the north all the way down to northern Florida and comprised a bunch of local cultures bound together by a trade network. The Hopewell are generally believed to have been peaceful, but archaeologists describe small military clashes fairly frequently.

But that orientation was in no way typical across the two continents. Warfare was a defining characteristic of Aztec, Inca, and other sophisticated cultures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2024 10:36AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Johnny ( )
Date: January 17, 2024 05:56AM

Natives did go to war against each other. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The difference is that many of them lived hunter-gatherer lifestyles which meant that they couldn't raise up armies like in the Book of Mormon. Such armies need another army of sutlers to service them.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 20, 2024 02:11PM

You make a good point about the gold plates. If the indigenous people had made plates, there would be more examples of them, and not just one alleged example. That's not how they made their records.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 20, 2024 02:25PM

mormons have a ready response to the issue of an absence of Lamanite plates, be they brass, silver, gold, and/or vinyl:

"Only the righteous Nephites were inspired to preserve their long-playing records..."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.