Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hrp ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 10:40PM

Joseph Smith had angels appearing to him all the time. How does a Mormon explain the fact that recent "prophets" never report Angel visits?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 11:00PM

Too sacred to talk about.

Date: December 23, 2023 09:31AM

The angels look like Brad Pitt. The first rule of angels is you do not talk about angels.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 11:09PM

Only the extra special prophets get visits from angels and gods.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 01:40AM

Hush-hush, it's actually the Third Annonting...

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 09:35AM

If *you* were an Angel, would *you* visit Russ?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 11:50AM

The thing I find comical about the Mormon angel beliefs is that Mormons, both institutionally and individually, are adamant that angels do not have wings. They avoid depictions of winged angels almost as much as they avoid carrying a Coke cup in public.

I seem to recall a relatively recent (2 years ago?) story of LDS Inc using some late Middle Ages artwork, but editing it to remove the wings from some cherubs. Wings on cherubs is right up there with naked shoulders on women as forbidden images in Mormonism.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 12:29PM

Cherubs have SIX wings. Each. It says so in the Bible.

I don't know if there are angels in the BOM, but if there are, I am sure they have wings.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 28, 2023 12:35PM

Why would angels have wings ? does gravity affect them or something ?

Posted by: Livid ( )
Date: January 23, 2024 05:39PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why would angels have wings ? does gravity affect
> them or something ?

Because to primitive peoples, wings suggest flight. It was easy to portray in artwork.

To moderns, helicopters, balloons and rockets also indicate flight but are unwinged.

Date: December 23, 2023 11:56AM

Angels have been replaced by a flashlight/ball point pen combo, plus prostate problems that force Russ to get up in the middle of the night. Isn't it marvelous?

And the rock in a hat has been replaced by Google Translate.

Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 12:26PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 04:07PM

> And the rock in a hat has been replaced by Google
> Translate.

Does that make You Know Who a prophet?

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 12:26PM

Those who accepted angel positions have done their duty and now been given their own planets.

There are more, waiting in the wings (sorry), for a time when more transformational revelation is needed. Some of these angels are former mortals who need a little extra credit to get into the celestial kingdom.

For example, Paul H. Dunn is on deck (again, sorry) to appear and direct Ensign Peak Advisors on how to manage the PR when the tax exempt status of the church is threatened in the future.

Date: December 23, 2023 12:32PM

I remember the 60 minutes story about Ensign Peak. And the church was fined 1 million. That is nothing, NOTHING.

I wish the SEC would have fined the for like 50 billion. That would get their asses together!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2023 12:32PM by lousyleper.

Date: December 23, 2023 01:26PM

$50 billion seems a little extreme for a paperwork crime, failure to publicly report their holdings. Actually having the holdings was within the law. $5 million seems reasonable. It was meant to be a slap on the wrist.

Date: December 23, 2023 03:12PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 04:13PM

I'm sure the $5 million was in the normal range for failing to file. But there are cases in which the failure is intentionally misleading--such as trying to conceal the extent of the church's wealth from its members--and then becomes fraud.

I would have liked to see a much more substantial fine: not $50 billion, but surely hundreds of millions would not have been inappropriate.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: December 28, 2023 03:06AM

+1

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 12:45PM

Date: December 23, 2023 06:37PM

She helps out the Three Nephites from time to time.

Date: December 23, 2023 08:20PM

The stories those four must have!!!

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 03:07PM

Apparently the waiting Angel candidates do not have the required certifications-

FAA, DOT, others.

A while back ChurchCo allowed a non-certified candidate to operate as an Angel 2nd Class, but a Federal Investigator became aware of this at an extemporaneous inspection so the oversight-infraction(s) were discontinued even though the candidate had experienced (his)(angels are non-binary) Third Anointing…

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 23, 2023 03:25PM

Please substitute ‘non-scheduled’ for “extemporaneous” in my post above, TY

Merry Christmas to Bugs Bunny, RoadRunner, Elmer Fudd, Sylvester, Tweedy Bird, Porky Pig, Willie Coyote, Donald Duck, Popeye, Olive Oil, Daffy Duck, Mickey & Minnie, Pluto, Foghorn Leghorn, Grandma, Huckleberry Hound, Fred & Wilma, Barney & Betty, Woody Woodpecker, & all the rest of the Saturday Morning cartoon friends!!

Date: December 23, 2023 03:40PM

Speaking of Mickey Mouse, Google has alerted me to the fact that Disney's patent/trademark on its founding father has run out.

One is now free to use the Disney caricature in whatever fashion, original or distorted, as one choses and the Disney lawyers are powerless to control you, other than to voice an opinion.

Thus if one wishes to create a series of cartoon drawings showing Mickey Mouse and Joseph Smith founding the mormon church, one may have at it, knowing that while jaws may clench, the law cannot be used to impede one's progress.

Am I saying that the church is a Mickey Mouse organization?  It could be...

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: December 28, 2023 03:14AM

I always think it’s ironic that the Bible says “Satan disguises himself as an angel of light,” and that when Moroni appeared to JS, “a light grew ‘as though the house was filled with consuming and unquenchable fire’."

Posted by: yingyang ( )
Date: December 28, 2023 03:24AM

Gordon B. Stinky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I always think it’s ironic that the Bible says
> “Satan disguises himself as an angel of
> light,” and that when Moroni appeared to JS,
> “a light grew ‘as though the house was filled
> with consuming and unquenchable fire’."

Smith badly twisted the story of God becomes man, into meaning that man can become God and many dummies bought it.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 28, 2023 02:29PM

Who needs angels when you have stockbrokers and hedge funds managers.

Date: December 28, 2023 03:07PM

There's also the use of the word Angel to describe the person far ahead of you in an organization's leadership who, for whatever reason, looks out for you and tries to advance you.

If this is a relative, then it's calle nepotism, or in mormondom, Nephitism, which explains why there are no Lamanites in high office...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.