Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lousyleper ( )
Date: November 29, 2023 06:09PM

I wish I could forget it completely, but I was almost an endowment actor, veil worker, and baptistry worker all at once. Viewing baptism was interesting. I saw so many kids doing 20, 30, 40 times baptisms for the dead

I sometimes laughed to myself, because the first night in the temple baptistry, I was baptized for 600 people, all male. There was an equal amount minus 100 or so women, that we passed to the kids that came in on ward trips.

My ex and I were baptistry workers before she found she was pregnant with our first child. I became a veil worker, so I I'd that whenever the people up there that sounded the bell. I would march to the third floor, go to a curtain and say: 'Present him/her at the veil and his/her request shall be granted.'.

I did all the Lord Impersonation and when there were enough veil workers there, I would finish out, and the words stuck to me. Like a garment... 'What is that? The second token of the Melchizedek Priesthood, the Patriarchal grip or sure sign of the nail.'

The look on women's faces was from first missionaries, they were crying as I repeated 'The name of the token is: 'Health in the navel, marrow to the bones, Strength in the loins and in the sinews. Power in the Priesthood be upon me, and upon my posterity through all generations of time and throughout all eternity.'

It was difficult to be in the place of the Lord at the end, but I brushed it off, to help others perpetuate the spiritual feelings that they had.

Oh... And my ex-wife and I 'saved' approximately 1200 souls total between us. We found that we were related later... I think it was 5th cousins, 2nd removed or something like that.

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2023 07:12PM by lousyleper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Zabriskie Point ( )
Date: December 07, 2023 07:44AM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 07, 2023 04:25PM

Maybe 4 or 5 times. I just had them tell it to me. The temple was one of the biggest disappointments of my life.

Date: December 07, 2023 06:15PM

It is the penultimate show how you are whipped. Memorizing the endowment was difficult for me, because of the schizophrenia. I actually imagined how I would act, and how I would impress on the audience the importance of the signs and tokens being taken seriously.

But now that I look at it, it was fear... Fear that made us make the covenants we did. Pure fear.

Also, did everyone notice that Lucifer gave the admonition that we learn the first token?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 07, 2023 07:29PM

you just go through the motions and get it over with. I was just relieved to get it over. Thank goodness I never memorized it as I don't have the words running through my brain EVER. I only went back to make my husband quit bugging me to go. I went once after 1990 and that was for him. They pulled me aside to do sealings. That was bizarre being sealed over and over to some oddball acting like we were really getting sealed. Reminded me of my stalker from the singles ward.

I sat in the foyer waiting for the husband to get out of the session and I never went back. He just had to deal with it. Only time I ever got to sit longer than a few minutes so I could meditate about my situation. Never even got to sit down in the CR.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 07, 2023 04:37PM

Was it supposed to be like saying a 30 second speed prayer?

If the temple experience was so grand, then why were you prodded to get in and get out so quickly?

Somehow certain members were allowed to do more than one session. This must have been during the days when each temple had a cafeteria.

Was there a secret VIP lounge where members relaxed between sessions?

I only knew of the little chapel with nothing on the walls. I think there was a little piano, but it was always quiet save for sneezing or coughing. Waiting for a session to begin was unpleasant for me. You could stare at bare walls or read the Book of Mormon.

I hated the temple experience.

Date: December 07, 2023 07:09PM

If there are no handshakes or tokens, it's probably about 1 1/2 hours now.

Goes fast, when going repeatedly. Ex and I would plan temple days. Yes, days, not visits, days. And that was beyond what we did serving in the temple.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2023 07:14PM by lousyleper.

Date: December 07, 2023 07:14PM

If you did, you probably met me, in the baptistry, or veil. I know what small chapel you are referring to. If it was before 2004

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2023 07:15PM by lousyleper.

Date: December 07, 2023 07:27PM

Combined. Why the hell I remember this stuff is beyond me. That's why it's hard for me to process, because it became such a part of my life, that I will probably never forget it.

True, nothing big happening, unless you really listen to what is being said, and who says it. Lucifer said early in the ceremony... 'power and priesthoods'.

What do we mean have? 'Power and priesthoods' Men rule the entire thing. Women are NOT equal.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 07, 2023 07:44PM

Our parents looked forward with glee for the day we mimed slitting our throats.

Date: December 07, 2023 08:11PM

If the penalty stuff was in the endowment still, I would have stopped, would have given my recommend to my bishop in the Celestial Room, then go and fold up my garments in my changing stall, leave them there and leave the place. Sorry not a god, or potentially one, sorry. Didn't the God of the OT, say he was the only god, and there were no others?

My ex would be left there, and discussion of divorce would have commenced, because my ex wanted to be sealed. The fact that everything in the endowment was set in the old testament, was a turn off. Adam being God, and reading that the Christian God was the Church's enemy.'. What a compliment, Brigham.

It's just beyond me.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2023 08:26PM by lousyleper.

Posted by: Livid ( )
Date: January 23, 2024 05:45PM

The baptisms are quick, the endowments are not.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.