Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lurk ( )
Date: January 27, 2024 02:31PM

I used to visit this forum daily, years ago. Then I raised a house full of kids.

You all are the experts.

I'll only ask three questions, to begin.

Did you, or do you, go to BYU?
How many closet not-believers are there on campus?
How do the unbelieving communicate with each other?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 27, 2024 02:54PM

> Did you, or do you, go to BYU?

Yes, Class of 1970

> How many closet not-believers
> are there on campus?

When the administration asked the student body to weigh in on this issue, those voting in person were all TBMs, but the online anonymous tally showed 37% of the student body consisted of non-believers.  The administration was refused to count this latter results because it couldn't be established that all the voters had temple recommends.  

> How do the unbelieving communicate
> with each other?

They pass notes during Snackerment Meeting, in code!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 27, 2024 03:01PM

I went there eons ago. I never heard anyone discuss non belief, mostly because I was a believer myself. You had to keep clear of anything that might get you in hot water with your required annual branch president interview. I was too busy worrying about a roommate ratting me out for coming home late.

I stayed away from places that had the reputation of being a little wild, but I'm sure they still exist. There are probably dance clubs or off campus hang outs now. Also, there were certain apartment complexes that seemed less controlled. I don't know how you would find out now.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 27, 2024 03:15PM

Class of 73. Don't know how many non-believers there were.

Those of who were mostly realized we didn't believe after a year or two there and had to fly under the radar or lose everything. Many students would turn you in. I only got turned for having my hair touch my collar but til I got to the Dean's office I didn't know why I was called there. I was crapping.

We found each other by dropping small non-committal hints and if they were reciprocated the next set of hints was bolder and so on until you were doing a profane duet.

If you ran into someone at The Sun Tavern down by the railroad tracks in SLC then the above wasn't necessary.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 27, 2024 04:25PM

In a situation like that, as an unbeliever, I would lay it on thick. Memorize a few key gospel phrases and drop them often.

Humoring those who can ruin your life goes a long way toward staying off their radar.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: January 27, 2024 04:49PM

When I went to BYU back in the 80s I was TBM so I wasn't looking for non-believers.

All of my roommates went to church every Sunday. I don't remember hearing anyone say they didn't believe. I knew some students who drank alcohol and had pre-marital sex but they didn't say anything about doubting that the church was "true."

I think most BYU students were TBMs back then. I'm sure the same is true today although students have easier access to information that can make them question. I do think there's an element of fear attached to expressing non-belief.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 27, 2024 05:39PM

I'm sure everyone in a Chinese re-education facility expresses their heartfelt belief.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 27, 2024 05:59PM

Yeah, pretty much. We do know that there are a number of students who go there because that's the only school their parents will pay for.

Posted by: OrigamiDude ( )
Date: January 28, 2024 01:35PM

Early 60's. First year at BYU was just fine. Athletic scholarship, active in the Student Ward and all was well.

Mission and return and it was OK, but a bit frustrating in many ways.

Enlisted, full tour and back.(no, did not enlist to beat the draft) BYU very frustrating. VERY - did not like their treating one like a child and lack of actual teaching in too many courses. Made it to Graduation and Grad School - then left and never went back. Once they cut men's Gymnastics Mormon Church never again saw a penny from my wife and I. Eventually we were both out along with our kids.

BYU is relatively OK if you go with the program. If you have questions you will have problems - IF you expect real answers.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.