Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 23, 2024 02:30PM

The church membership and people who leave it is a fairly diverse population of people. I know TBMs in California and New York who are more accepting of liberal leaning lifestyles more than member in Utah or Idaho.

I know very right leaning TBMs in the church who want to go back to Ezra Taft Benson and Spencer W Kimball. The church is becoming too liberal in their minds.

California TBMs and rural Utah TBMs aren’t going to agree on a lot of things. If you mix all these people up and find one frustration they do have in common is how corporate and machine like the church has become.

The church no longer is a place of fun activities, sports and people to socialize with. It’s Come Follow Me, Conference talks the temple and two lousy pot lucks a year. It’s depressing as hell and all you hear about is this church committee, the church PR Departnent, the church real estate development and so forth.

In fact the church runs front companies and pays hush money to hide things from the members. It has teams of lawyers on retainer. It has a corporate flavored PR department. Where’s the cozy church brotherhood in this?

At the local level the LDS Ward is a nurtured wasteland. It’s all repeating what’s in this year’s Come Follow Me program and talks from the last session of conference. If you are really motivated, you do some canned ordinances at the Simon Says temple that runs with the predictable efficiency of your local McDonald’s.

You stand back and look it’s just silly busywork. It’s doing shit to just do it. It’s following a program some organization puts together by committee or by the ego of the current prophet. It has all the charm of a WalMart store with the fake ass greeter. There’s nothing real here. Everyone is just following a corporate script.

It doesn’t matter what your social or political leanings are. One agreed point of irritation is the church is a machine. There’s no real human element to it. It’s stuffed suits and script readers. You can go to WalMart or McDonald’s and say they are God inspired because they are big, rich and seem to be the same everywhere.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Alien Weaponry ( )
Date: January 27, 2024 07:33AM

One could argue it is an inevitable consequence of correlation and bureaucracy.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 29, 2024 03:35PM

There's many churches with viable social and church community activities. Plus, you can freely choose at what level of membership you want to participate.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 29, 2024 04:16PM

And how much to donate/contribute.

Posted by: Sammy ( )
Date: January 29, 2024 08:20PM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's many churches with viable social and
> church community activities. Plus, you can freely
> choose at what level of membership you want to
> participate.

It doesn't work that way. Many people have family ties to Mormonism. That makes things harder.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 29, 2024 08:25PM

Sammy, I got the impression that messy was pointing out the same thing you are but without offering the details you did.  

I've had my eye on messy for a couple of years now, but he seems to be as pro unmormon as the rest of us.

But if you have any photos or videos to the contrary, please forward it/them to Susan...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 29, 2024 08:59PM

Now, now, Jesus. Don't be mean to Sammy. He's very important.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: January 30, 2024 11:14AM

That's right. All suspected impure ex Mormons must be reported to the proper authorities. You can get extra
food rations.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 30, 2024 08:08AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.