Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 10:49PM

12/22

my attention was elsewhere, too late to remember the details.

me: congressional inquiry is NEEDED!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 22, 2023 11:10PM

I grumbled to Nightingale about it on her thread. (It was about governors, and the answer was BY.)

Posted by: swallow ( )
Date: January 24, 2024 04:45AM

Is the Mormon church in jeopardy or on Jeopardy

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: January 28, 2024 05:03PM

I recently watched Jeopardy UK for the first time. The answer to one of the clues was Utah! In England! But one of the contestants answered correctly. The category was about deserts and the clue was something about the Bonneville mud flats.

So maybe coincidentally Jeopardy clue meisters find that area of the globe highly interesting.

I've only seen Jeopardy UK a couple of times and so far no more answers about the USA.

I am unlikely to become a fan - it's an hour long rather than the half hour of the US show, which is quite lengthy for that type of program, at least for me, and the host, Stephen Fry, yaks after every contestant response, whether they get it right or wrong, filling in info about the subject of the clue. It gets tedious. Maybe it's me because you'd think that type of thing might be quite interesting. But somehow it seems excruciatingly slow and OTT to me. Or maybe it's because I'm much more accustomed to the quick pace of the American version. Even their buzzers are slower in the Brit version.

Also, wow, there's a lot of stuff I don't know. Never heard of. Won't remember. I admire anybody who has the nerve to go on that program.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2024 05:04PM by Nightingale.

Date: January 28, 2024 06:33PM

I've never watched the UK show. I didn't even know Stephen Fry was the host. He is way, way accomplished and NOT the type for that role, IMO. I like when he narrates things, talks about his books and is interviewed. I can't see him being in the reverse role.

A question about UT was on the UK show? That's strange indeed.

Date: January 28, 2024 06:48PM

Yes, dagny, he has a good voice and manner. But I don't care for a lot of space between clues. It really slows down the pace and it gets tedious, at least for me.

I'm sure many would be interested in the additional facts he shares. Maybe I'm in too much of a hurry these days. I just want them to get on with the game.

Theirs is an hour long, so there are three sessions of questions and answers. I didn't realize that at first so was thinking they were going to run out of time if the host didn't quit yakking. But the hour long program gives him plenty of scope I guess. I don't know if I could get used to the slower game though. And I definitely know I wouldn't be buzzing in with many correct responses! Seems very high-brow to me, so far anyway. I only turned it on because I got sick of watching the news.

I did have to laugh when Utah came up. You can't get away from the place! But the contestant knew the answer so maybe the Bonneville mudflats are more famous than I ever realized. I live a lot closer to Utah than a contestant in the UK but he knew at least enough about it to respond correctly to that question.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2024 06:51PM by Nightingale.

Date: January 28, 2024 07:46PM

Yeah, if I'm watching a game show, I don't like a bunch of fluff either. I'll pass on looking for the UK version. Thanks for the info!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 28, 2024 07:51PM

Sometimes people like the UK versions of shows better. I know that the UK version of "Love Island" has a lot of fans, and then there is always "Strictly Come Dancing," which is the UK version of "Dancing With the Stars."

Date: February 01, 2024 12:05AM

I am partial to UK versions myself, specially murder mysteries.

Good observation you made, dagny. Apparently many people feel like you about the choice of host, that he was not suited, despite his other talents. After only one month the UK version has been sidelined. Too bad for prospective contestants.

Date: February 01, 2024 12:28AM

Interesting. I didn't know it tanked.

It sounds like tweaking the format, length and host style was not a good idea. You'd think they would copy what has proven to work for decades.

I'm sorry the people in UK won't get their dose of Utah trivia! Hahaha.

https://slate.com/culture/2024/01/jeopardy-uk-british-itv-stephen-fry-host.html

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 28, 2024 08:13PM

What is the UK version of Wal-mart ?

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: February 01, 2024 01:03AM

Some years ago Wal-Mart bought a chain of stores in the UK under the name ASDA. They built them up but I read somewhere they had sold them for 6.5 billion pounds. There are various stores like WM but not so big or as ubiquitous.

Date: February 01, 2024 08:27PM

Nighty!
Tonight they had a very lame clue about microbiology regarding numbers of flatworms or somesuch. The clue had to include that it was a BYU study. Groan.

They don't always include the study for a bunch of the "facts" in clues. It felt like a gratuitous mention of BYU's name.

Believe me, as a BYU micro grad, BYU is not so stellar in the field that it needed to be mentioned out of all the other important mico facts and research universities.

Date: February 01, 2024 08:41PM

Ha! I think the evidence is piling up! :P

I am finally getting used to Ken. I think he does a good job lately of seeming like just one of the guys. Kind of like the nerdy kid who is so thrilled the jocks are letting him into the change room with them. It took me a while though after all the years of Alex. He was a good clue-reader with a very nice voice. Not bad looking either. Maybe Ken gets clued-in (ha!) about the non-mo world so he can fit in. He certainly chats with the contestants like he understands all the "worldly" references and doesn't have a problem with them. Maybe he's one of the Mormons that is granted more leeway by the church.

That "worldly" reference of my own above is a flashback to my JW days - to them, being worldly is a cardinal sin. You'd laugh if you knew what all they think is sinful. But really it's sad. Members miss out on so much of the joy of life. In both groups, as Mormons are also certainly kept busy and on a short leash from the church's embrace. In both cases more like a death grip than a fond hug.

Ugh.

PS: I haven't seen tonight's show yet. It's not on here until 6:30 p.m. Pacific time. Then it repeats at 7:30. So you could give me all the answers and I could look like a genius by yelling them all out. Except Mum isn't here any more to compete with me. Even if I cheated she would beat me - she had a lot of random knowledge in her sweet little head. Too bad it didn't transfer to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2024 08:44PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 01, 2024 08:57PM

> . . . a BYU micro grad. . .

What is a "micro grad?" A very small student? A student with very small grades?

I'll bet EOD was a micro grad.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 01, 2024 09:16PM

I was a microbe grad!

Date: February 01, 2024 09:18PM

I do NOT want to know the details of that admission.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 02, 2024 12:54PM

I sense people on RFM is too sensitive of any Jeopardy clue that connects to Mormonism.

There are many more clues that deal with Christianity, particularly Catholic teachings, and alcohol than there are about LDS.

Ken Jennings doesn't seem to flinch when he deals with alcohol.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: February 02, 2024 01:52PM

I agree. So what if they have clues that involve mormonism? It's part of our history, like it or not. The show has been of forever and I'm sure any new material is welcome.

If a mormony clue on Jeopardy affects someone so deeply, that's a reflection of their state of mind, not the state of the show.

And if it's too mormony for you, send in a resignation letter to the show and don't watch it anymore.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: February 02, 2024 02:26PM

> So what if some RfM threads are about Jeopardy! clues that involve mormonism? It's part of our history, like it or not.

> If an RfM thread about mormony clues on Jeopardy! affects someone so
> deeply, that's a reflection of their state of
> mind, not the state of the board.
>
> And if it's too RfMy for you, send in a
> resignation letter to the mods and don't open the thread.

FIXED!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2024 02:27PM by Beth.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: February 02, 2024 02:40PM

Thanks, Will do.

Bye everyone.

Date: February 02, 2024 02:41PM

Oh, stop.

Date: February 02, 2024 02:43PM

So long and thanks for all the smoked salmon!

Date: February 02, 2024 02:45PM

And the baked beans!

Date: February 02, 2024 04:25PM

Beth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > If an RfM thread about mormony clues on
> Jeopardy! affects someone so
> > deeply, that's a reflection of their state of
> > mind, not the state of the board.
> >
> > And if it's too RfMy for you, send in a
> > resignation letter to the mods and don't open
> the thread.
>
> FIXED!

Thanks Beth. It's a bit disheartening to chalk up complaints about a subject of interest to an individual poster.

I would likely only need 2 hands to count up how many off topic threads I've ever started or replied to.

Besides, a new host who is Mormon and an upsurge in Mormon-related clues on a popular TV show isn't even off topic.

If there was a particular issue about the subject I'm sure I'd hear from Admin.

It was just a bit of fun with dagny and summer to grouse (good-naturedly) about Ken's new gig.

Date: February 02, 2024 02:46PM

I'm definitely biased and probably wrong! This is entertainment for me and Nighty mostly, I'm sure.

Even decades ago when I was a Mormon, I noticed every little thing about Mormons. I was proud Mormons were being mentioned because it meant we were not weird and were important. It would be interesting to know the frequency of Utah stuff 20 years ago on the show. Maybe it hasn't changed.

Date: February 02, 2024 02:54PM

I wonder if these questions aren’t a bit of a public service to nevermos who might be thinking of converting.

This site saved me from wasting god knows how much money and time plus tanking my already shaky self esteem.

PBS —> 2007ish TSSC website -> back to PBS website -> RfM -> Richard Packham’s “Thinking about Joining Mormonism?” article on the homepage and then meeting you lovelies has been an amazing trip!

ETA: “you lovelies” is the entire board, even the cranky people. I mean, who doesn’t get cranky?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2024 02:58PM by Beth.

Date: February 02, 2024 03:02PM

Get off my lawn!

(See? I can be very cranky too.)

Yes, I also think RfM has its own style of public service announcements about Mormonism. Buyer beware.

Date: February 02, 2024 03:11PM

I’m very fortunate to have found you guys.

Date: February 02, 2024 03:49PM

Beth Wrote:
> I’m very fortunate to have found you guys.

Ditto re you Beth!

Date: February 02, 2024 03:48PM

tumwater Wrote:
> I sense people on RFM is too sensitive of any
> Jeopardy clue that connects to Mormonism.
>
> There are many more clues that deal with
> Christianity, particularly Catholic teachings, and
> alcohol than there are about LDS.
>
> Ken Jennings doesn't seem to flinch when he deals
> with alcohol.

I don't think we intended to come off as cranky. It's been fun going on about it with dagny and a few others. I have been accused of being sensitive, for sure (mainly because I tend to be so) but not in this case. It just seems to be a noticeable upswing in Mo clues since the advent of Ken as host so it was interesting, to a few of us, to mention it.

OTOH, I haven't noticed many clues, certainly not close together and consistently, about Catholicism.

Yes, Ken deals with alcohol-related clues like it's completely insignificant. Maybe he's a more well-rounded Mormon than some others some of us may know.

Bottom Line: If you can't grouse about Mormonism here, where can you?! :P

It's just meant as a bit of fun, in between all the heavy serious stuff.

Sorry if it bugs anybody.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.