Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 03, 2024 10:29PM

I was thinking about metaphysics today and it occurred to me that our physical reality is but one of many projections of a metaphysical reality to provide tiny facet of a multiverse. This is hardly a new idea. John Lennon's "Mind Games" was based on a book about the subject.

The idea that we create our reality is in vogue. Those of us who still believe in prayers will notice that the events that needed to happen before a prayer was answered happened before the prayer was uttered. That is called backward causality. It is "not supposed" to happen.

That leaves room for the metaphysical Jesus to be an artifact of backward causality. Supposing the projected and projector to be intimately connected, the needs of humanity in the multiverse could have propagated backward to create the metaphysical Jesus. Whether Jesus is a mythical construct is irrelevant. We are all mythological constructs, yet consider ourselves real. A billion people believe in Jesus. Doesn't that make him more than real?

So you have this hyper-real being conjured through belief of those who by way of evolutionary biology need a savior.

Whatever you think of JS, he could make you believe. What he made people believe had a lot of good in it. I think inexperience was his downfall. He took familiar spirits for messengers from God and was led astray. Not that it matters much now, with the corporatization of the church.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2024 10:35PM by bradley.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 04, 2024 08:05AM

>> What he made people believe had a lot of good in it.

I think it could be said that the milder, more liberal forms of Christianity (i.e. certain Methodist, Presbyterian, and Lutheran sects) have a lot of good in them. They are welcoming, inclusive, and very charitable. They promote non-judgmental behavior. IMO Joseph and Brigham didn't add anything useful to that. They didn't do anything that wasn't of direct benefit to themselves. Their church looks just like a church set up by pathological narcissists would look. Yes, there are many nice Mormons. They are nice in spite of their church, not because of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2024 08:06AM by summer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.