Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: February 08, 2024 06:30PM

I haven’t gone to church since 2010, but I did attend a funeral for an extended family member last week. I noticed that the bishop conducting the service had a neatly trimmed beard. I think we’d all agree that a beard no big deal, but in the half century+ that I was an active, involved member, I never once saw a bishop (or stake president, or branch president, or High Priest group leader, or Elders Quorum president, or stake high councilor, etc) with a beard.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 08, 2024 09:41PM

the Rock is rolling, however it's not the rock they previously had in mind.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 09, 2024 09:51AM

They (stake presidents) have a lot less to choose from than 15-20 years ago. I previously mentioned that my mom's ward had a bishop for almost 7 years. The stake president's top choice for the next bishop said "No". They continued to wait before calling one who said yes to the calling.

The one who finally agreed to accept the calling wasn't even on the short or long list of candidates. He's far from the ideal the church strives for. His wife has doubts- she is absent when church has lessons about church leaders, prophets and polygamy. None of their children are active in the church (not adult children). Only one is baptized.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 09, 2024 11:23AM

I have a cousin who was called as bishop three times in his SE USA ward. My mom said it was because he was such a spiritual giant. I figured it was because nobody else was willing and able. Meanwhile I assume his kids grew up without his presence for most of their childhood.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.