Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 11, 2024 09:09PM

How very sad for all who attended, especially children…
Maybe she asked & they REFUSED to return her ‘donations’

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 11, 2024 09:29PM

"We don't understand why all these things happen," Osteen said at the news conference. "But we know God's in control."

Seriously? He can't imagine how this happens? Good to know God is in charge of laws in Texas.

What was unusual to me was that it was a woman (in a trench coat). It will be interesting to find out her motive. Maybe she wanted her money back! J/K

That said, it was a tragedy. I don't think they know yet which gun injured the child exactly. No where is safe. I have a lot of questions.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 11, 2024 11:41PM

"What was unusual to me was that it was a woman (in a trench coat)."

Apparently, you don't run with those kinds of women.

The society we live in is the cause of mental illness in a huge swath of our population. It's only getting worse. On top of that, those that need help, like the shooter, don't get it. There's no proactive mental health policy. Instead, crazy is normalized. See? Problem solved.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 12, 2024 02:08AM

Osteen will use the incident as a fund raiser.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 12, 2024 02:19AM

He’s not Mormon / LDS, so not necessarily.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 12, 2024 06:16PM

The shooter is identified as Genesse Ivonne Moreno, a 36-year-old transgender immigrant from El Salvador, a.k.a. Jeffrey Escalante & other names. She's a female->male transgender. Not sure if she's completed "gender-affirming" surgery.
She's a native of El Salvador. Info on her immigration status is still incomplete.
On social media she identified Lakewood Church as her church.
The wounded child is her biological son, and is in critical condition with a head wound. Not sure about whose gun did it; my guess is security.
She has been taken into detention by Houston Police for mental health reasons, but she did acquire the rifle last December.
She also had a .22 rifle at the time, which was not fired.
She had the word "Palestine" affixed to the stock of her AR-15 (some sources state "Free Palestine), and antisemitic writing in her possession at the time. She was involved in a dispute with her ex-husbands family, some of whom are Jewish. (I wonder if she was using her son as a "human shield," and where she got that idea?)
She has a fairly long criminal record, including assault, drug possession, evasion, forgery, assault & battery/personal injury.
She posted images of her son and her rifle on buildingwealthinc/instagram. She also posted her affiliation and identification with Lakewood Church. (Caffiend: "buildingwealthinc" appears to appeal to a get-rich-quick constituency.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2024 08:50PM by Maude.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 12, 2024 07:41PM

It sounds like the shooter had multiple issues to say the least. Texas doesn't seem like it would be a great environment for someone like that who should have been under mental health and law enforcement watch.

People snap and have too many tools available to act out instead of getting help, no matter what their issues are. I don't know how we are going to identify all the people who might snap in time.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 14, 2024 07:22PM

I turns out that the shooter, Genesse Ivonne Moreno, was NOT transgender. The police described her as a "woman" and said nothing more. Subsequent reports confirm that she was cis and not trans-anything.

Mass murder is mass murder. But trying to tie Moreno to trans people as a means of impugning the latter is wrong, and the American right should be ashamed of having done so.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/ted-cruz-and-don-jr-boost-debunked-claim-lakewood-church-shooter-was-a-transgender-woman/ar-BB1ihiKE

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2024 07:47PM by Lot's Wife.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.