Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 20, 2024 04:19PM

-Fifth District Judge John Walton sentenced both Franke and Hildebrandt to four terms of one to 15 years in prison on four counts of aggravated child abuse, a second-degree felony. He said serving the sentences consecutively is appropriate, meaning each woman will serve between four and 60 years.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50883324/franke-hildebrandt-to-spend-years-maybe-decades-in-prison-for-concentration-camp-like-abuse

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 20, 2024 04:24PM

I would love to be on that parole board. "Nope, not yet. See you next year." Repeat for the next couple decades.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 20, 2024 06:22PM

Yes, but what if they repent?

Date: February 20, 2024 06:29PM

Oh, absolutely! They could loudly repent, and tell me of all of their good deeds in prison, and I would warmly approve and encourage them. Then I would tell them that while they are making good progress, they need more time (a lot more time.) And for every bishop telling me how much they deserve to get out, I would give them one more year.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 20, 2024 07:05PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, but what if they repent?

You can repent but you still have to pay.

I think I heard that somewhere sometime.

Could have been with the JWs.

They totally believe in the making amends until it hurts doctrine.

In some cases I wouldn't argue.

Date: February 20, 2024 07:15PM

But they are WHITE women!!!!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 20, 2024 07:27PM

Yes. Why didn't their sins make them dark and loathsome?

Date: February 20, 2024 09:20PM

Oh, thanks for that reminder. I didn't know where that was going.

Date: February 20, 2024 05:22PM

Wow, this was on the radio news today up here in the wilds of Canada. It's not all that often you hear Utah news here, especially not on the radio.

I was thinking about the potential 60 years part of the sentence. That also is surpassingly rare here where all too often the sentences seem far too lenient, even for crimes committed with weapons involved. For instance, some gang members were recently given 4 years for quite violent offences (home invasion type) although it was against other gang members so maybe that played into the judge's decision (as in, not an innocent bystander victim).

The radio announcer mentioned that the female offender in the Utah case stated something like "I'm just a mama". I missed the context. Well, she's going to miss a LOT of time with her offspring. Sounds like they won't mind that.

I haven't even read all the details of her crimes. Not sure I even want or need to. I just watched the news about the ongoing war (which one you may well ask) and it's all just too absolutely depressing. Parents just trying to care for their children in some of the war zones and even physicians crying at the horrors of it all.

In some cases, especially that involve harm visited upon children, 60 years ain't nearly enough. Definitely. I hope the cell and surroundings aren't too terribly comfortable for some of these people. That's if the real perps are ever actually brought to justice.

Sorry for the diversion. But adults hurting children - it gets me.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 20, 2024 05:47PM

You're not alone.

Date: February 20, 2024 05:54PM

I had a very sweet, innocent little boy student a number of years ago. He was beautiful inside and out, the kind of kid you wanted to take home with you -- just the sweetest thing. The school social worker gave me some idea of how badly his mom had abused him -- she nearly killed him. Fortunately, he was placed with a wonderful foster family. Both his foster parents always showed up to pick him up at the end of the school day -- mom and dad, waiting for their wonderful little boy. I still think about him.

Date: February 20, 2024 07:07PM

summer Wrote:
> Fortunately,
> he was placed with a wonderful foster family. Both
> his foster parents always showed up to pick him up
> at the end of the school day -- mom and dad,
> waiting for their wonderful little boy.

Lovely, summer. Good news all 'round.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: February 20, 2024 08:40PM

Here are the YouTubes of Ruby and Jodi's sentencing in court today, 2/20/24. Both Ruby and Jodi read statements. Ruby appeared to take responsibility for the child abuse and read a statement that at the end seemed like she was accepting an award on an awards show, thanking all involved who helped her: "Thank you to the officers (she stated all their names)... "Thank you to the medical staff..." "Thank you to my Bishop..." She went on and on with the thank yous.

Jodi still didn't seem to think she did anything wrong. At least Ruby admitted to her wrong doing. I think she'll receive a lighter sentence.

Ruby

https://www.google.com/search?q=ruby+franke&rlz=1CAZJQH_enUS1010&oq=rub&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqDAgAECMYJxiABBiKBTIMCAAQIxgnGIAEGIoFMg0IARAuGIMBGLEDGIAEMgYIAhBFGDsyBwgDEAAYgAQyBggEEEUYOTIGCAUQRRg8MgYIBhBFGDwyBggHEEUYPNIBCDEwMjFqMGo0qAIAsAIA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:83baed79,vid:Y6dsTA2y8Xw,st:0

Jodi

https://www.google.com/search?q=jodi+hilderbrandt+sentence&rlz=1CAZJQH_enUS1010&oq=jodi+hilderbrandt+sentence&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOdIBCTIyMDgxajBqOagCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:c36c80ef,vid:s-0MTwSIDwI,st:0

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: February 20, 2024 09:27PM

I would love to know if the church has excommunicated either of the women. Or maybe the church still reserves excommunication for the worst of the worst...those posting true, unflattering information about the church on social media, or for adults having consensual sexual relationships, aka the sin next to murder.

Date: February 20, 2024 11:35PM

How big of a tithe do they pay?

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 05:37AM

I would love to know what church callings Ruby and Jody had? What if those abusive women were the primary Presidency? Again the power of discernment does not work. In my opinion both Jody and Ruby should be excommunicated.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 06:30PM

Ruby's parents wrote a letter in her behalf.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8EBv2yh/

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 08:06PM

Does anyone know if the Judge is mormon? This letter is SO mormon a non mormon wouldn't even understand a lot of it.

And if they care so much about what is going on why don't they get their asses home and HELP?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2024 08:10PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 08:46PM

I agree.

They are being negligent parents by not showing up to help.

Being in Serbia is not a good excuse.

And how many hours did they spend writing that pathetic letter

when they could have been out knocking on doors?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 08:50PM

Does anyone know if the Judge is mormon?

Probably

Graduate of BYU law school

https://www.utcourts.gov/en/about/courts/judges-bios/district-courts/fifth-district-court/john-walton.html

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 09:07PM

I would go farther than "probably." I mean, who other than a Mormon would study law at BYU?

In this case, though, it appears his religion does not seem to have adversely affected his judgment. 60 years is a long time, consecutive rather than concurrent is a condign decision.

I read up a bit and discovered that the longest term permitted under the Utah criminal code is 30 years, so Judge Walton has made the strongest possible statement.

Date: February 21, 2024 10:11PM

It comes off to me as just a pile of excuses, equivalent to "She made me do it." I don't see any judge being swayed by it.

Posted by: unworried ( )
Date: February 21, 2024 09:18PM

Glad to have escaped everything LDS, it always seems to me as an almost guaranteed, pathetic downward spiral in continued brainwashing.

Posted by: onthedownlow ( )
Date: February 22, 2024 11:55AM

I hope they starve them out and keep them in the hot sun for endless hours breaking rocks. Take your own medicine!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 22, 2024 01:33PM

I think 18 months will quietly pass and then both will be out of prison. It happens all the time. Many think that their arrest and punishment is a tremendous miscarriage of justice.

Date: February 22, 2024 01:47PM

"We were doing it for the children!"

--Everyone who mistreats kids

Posted by: Subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: February 22, 2024 03:48PM

messygoop Wrote:
> I think 18 months will quietly pass and then both
> will be out of prison. It happens all the time.
> Many think that their arrest and punishment is a
> tremendous miscarriage of justice.

That case is so public. I don’t think that she has a chance of getting released quietly. And I hope that the LDS church will get into trouble for recommending Jody to families. Mormon Stories said that struggling couples went to their bishops for guidance and that the bishop often had recommended JOdy Hildbrandt to them and sometimes the lds church even paid for counseling with Jody.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.