Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: February 25, 2024 01:38PM

Yesterday a Pinewood Derby kit showed up on my doorstep with a note that it belonged to my wife. So I set it on the counter thinking maybe it was some kind of joke. My wife was involved with Cub Scouts for years until it was discontinued.

She came home and saw the kit and told me it was for the "Ward" pinewood derby, whereas families would compete against each other.

I perceived it as a move of desperation. Anyone else heard about this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 25, 2024 02:13PM

My non-member son (third marriage) won the 1994 Pinewood Derby in an Apple Valley ward, when I was the atheist Packmaster.

My only job was to 'run' the monthly pack meetings.  I had a key to the chapel.

When Bishop Delatorre 'called' me, he said that he'd checked with the SP and confirmed that it was okay for a member who ID'd himself as an atheist to hold the calling.

I made up a 'game' for the pack meetings that was a real lhit and I don't mind sharing it so that 'the ward' can enjoy a much more exciting competition:

You get a furniture dolly and attach a piece of thick rope to the front and to the back.  You choose up three-person teams and then you lay out a 'race track' in the cultural hall using pillows, cushions or something soft.

The race is against the clock, so only one team at a time races.  The object is to complete the course three times, with the team members switching places each time, one pulling, one desparately hanging on while seated on the dolly and the rear rope holder keeping the dolly from veering off the track at the turns.

I am thinking for going worldwide with this event, but only for women, who will participate scantily attired, and I'll call it "The Four-Dolly Dash!"

Hmmm ... The subject line now seems oddly appropriate...

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: February 25, 2024 08:18PM

you ride a boogie board on a creek while someone on an ATV rides next to the creek pulling the b board. When you hit rocks you need to let go.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 26, 2024 01:41AM

Many of us know full well the pinewood car is built by the father in a cut throat competition.

The proper placement and types if weights, the graphite solution fir the axels and so forth are handed down over generations.

The kids were lucky if they got to paint it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.