Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Human ( )
Date: February 25, 2024 01:50PM

Google Gemini: Nope.

https://x.com/TheRabbitHole84/status/1761240960493863171?s=20

Walter Kirn has a few thoughts about AI worth considering (from Twitter and Substack, at the least) including this from yesterday:

~~~~
Maybe consumer AI is starting out absurd on purpose so its backers can show "progress," laying in the metaphor that it is growing up or advancing the way human children do.
~~~~

Maybe maybe not, but even so:

~~~~
Consuming AI ‘art’ will program us to become psychopathic

It denatures the most human of all activities and renders it an icy game

Shun it

Turn away
~~~~

Yes, please do, for this and many other reasons.

Since I bring up Kirn, this by him speaks to all of us that remember:

https://walterkirn.substack.com/p/generation-junk

Snippet: “Baffled by how to measure this decline in the quality of common wares – a decline whose significance I promise to cover once I’ve further gratified my rage -- I opened the matter to my Twitter audience and quickly garnered two thousand replies, by far the longest thread I’ve ever triggered. The complaints were specific and formed patterns.”

Human, back to witnessing the Genocide everyone here but Bradley seems to be ignoring…

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 25, 2024 02:00PM

Makes about as much sense.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: February 25, 2024 04:11PM

Would calling it a “thought experiment” help you?

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: February 25, 2024 04:55PM

This sounds like great fodder for a podcast.

Will you and bradley be teaming up?

On the subject of the linked article...I blame plastics.

The products I design must work in very severe environments... I don't incorporate a lot of plastics.

But mass consumers aren't gonna pay for a blender I design. I don't know how to do cheap and my customers don't want me to.

Back when my kids were young, I imagined designing a baby stroller using machined billet, Italian leather, electric assist, ABEC 9 wheel bearings, and shock absorbers, fully adjustable for preload, compression, and dampening. I might have sold one to Danica Patrick, then gone out of business.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 26, 2024 01:20AM

Since the Air Force has female pilots, a tactical baby stroller infant carrier combo is just what the F35 needs.

Date: February 26, 2024 02:07AM

"Yes, please do, for this and many other reasons"

I'll get right on doing the responsible thing. Or not. Nothing is going to stop AI.

With all of the wars these days, I don't worry about direct US involvement. Does anyone expect to send Millennials to fight? You can barely get them to work. I would worry for the safety of the chain of command. That's on top of a severely degraded military compared to previous decades. No, our dogs don't hunt so they can't be sent out against a real enemy.

Which I suppose increases the threat of nuclear weapons being used. However, I don't believe wide scale destruction would be allowed by the interdimensionals guarding this planet. As a case in point, consider the recent comical launch failure of a nuclear capable missile by the UK. I consider that a message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2024 02:13AM by bradley.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 26, 2024 11:15AM

Thanks for the link to Kirn. Loved that on many levels. Seems right on par with what Andy Rooney used to do. Maybe even better. Those are my people.

Micro computer chips or whatever they are. Years ago I had a Range Rover that suddenly had no brakes at all when I was driving in heavy traffic. Somehow I coasted to a safe spot avoiding cars and got towed. Turns out the brakes were fine. There was plenty of brake fluid and the brake lines were clear. BUT the chip that told them to work quit. So I nearly had a terrible accident because of something my car never needed in the first place.

When I was 15 I had a '52 Plymouth hand-me-down from my grandma. Never failed me. I wanted it back.

Is Russ Nelson the "chip" Mormons need or else nothing works and they would all crash? The chip nobody needed in the first place?

Date: February 29, 2024 12:25AM

"Is Russ Nelson the "chip" Mormons need or else nothing works and they would all crash?"

Mormonism runs fine on a 2 MHz 6502.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.