Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 08, 2024 08:58PM

So....I eas always told that the door to Joseph's room in the Carthage Jail not only was the original door but it showed the bullet hole and blood stains.

Today I was perusing the list of items the corporation purchased from the community of christ included "the original door to Carthage jail"

Why would anyone purchase the original door and why would the corporation want it?

Do you think they'll rehang the door?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 08, 2024 09:07PM

I wonder if they will do DNA testing behind closed doors. Maybe they didn't want someone else to do DNA testing if they knew where blood was located. Imagine if someone proved it wasn't JS's blood.

I suppose they could find out all kinds of dirt to hide once they can compare DNA results.

It kind of shows a level of paranoia about their history, no matter what their reason. I think they know so much of it is a lie.

Just think. Maybe they can start selling pieces of the door (or fake pieces) just like Catholics sell stupid stuff related to saints and Jesus stuff.

I remember visiting the Carthage Jail when I was a teen. The story I got there was not exactly in line with what I found out later.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 08, 2024 11:41PM

'Funny' they let someone smuggle a firearm into the jail with Joe.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: March 09, 2024 04:33PM

Perhaps since the windows of heaven don't open, maybe a door will? Who knows?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 09, 2024 04:41PM

I thought the blood stains were on the floor boards, not the door. If he got shot while getting ready to jump out a window, blood on the floor makes a lot more sense.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 09, 2024 06:17PM

I believe you are right now that I think about it. I remember looking down for a stain when the guide gave a tour.

I wonder what the significance of buying the door was about.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 09, 2024 06:34PM

Maybe somebody heard it wrong, and JoJu was talking about the whore of Carthage jail?

...things were different back then, you know...

Like, remember in "Support Your Local Sheriff" where at the end, the cannonball demolishes the local hospitality house, and the local political hierarchy comes stumbling out of the wreckage, and the scene ends with James Garner exclaiming, "...some of those girls are my best friends!"

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 09, 2024 08:26PM

During the Carthage Jail tour I recall be told the door to the room where the gunfight ended was the original door to that room. Maybe the newly purchased door is the outside door at the base of the stairs.

At any rate, I'm sure there will be no problem turning this door into a faith promoting story.

Posted by: Tsosie ( )
Date: March 09, 2024 11:25PM

Blood stains are on the stairs. Door has the bullet hole.

Guides got pretty flustered when I went through a decade ago and challenged the story. "who would buy it for a home and leave a bullet hole door in place" and "surely they would have spent time over the decades to clean blood stains off stairs".

They couldn't get me out of the canned lecture fast enough.

Posted by: ExMo ( )
Date: March 10, 2024 09:47PM

In the recent purchase, the LDS church purchased the door to the Liberty (Missouri) jail, not the Carthage jail. Interesting fact-- according to Wikipedia, Joseph Smith III (Joseph Smith Jr's son) was allowed to spend the night several times with his father in the jail when Emma brought him to visit.

Posted by: Pay Laid ( )
Date: March 11, 2024 05:34AM

ExMo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the recent purchase, the LDS church purchased
> the door to the Liberty (Missouri) jail, not the
> Carthage jail. Interesting fact-- according to
> Wikipedia, Joseph Smith III (Joseph Smith Jr's
> son) was allowed to spend the night several times
> with his father in the jail when Emma brought him
> to visit.

I always found the name "Liberty Jail" to be ironic.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.