Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Human ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 04:11PM

I’ve read a lot of literature, roughly sixty volumes a year every year since I was eighteen. Yet there are still many great things left unattempted. And some, like Scott, Dostoevsky, Nabokov, Malamud, purposely saved for “old age”. At 55 I’m still waiting for old age.

Some books are for our mature years, that are wasted on youth. It’s said that Flaubert’s *A Sentimental Education* shouldn’t be read by anyone under fifty. Of course when I read that bit of advice at twenty-five I immediately read the book and found the advice pure poppycock. Then I reread *A Sentimental Education* at fifty and yup, you guessed it…

This Good Friday finds me about to finish a novel for adults, for grown-up people. I hate finishing things; it always pains me somehow, whether it’s a novel or the last pass along the driveway with a snow shovel (which I just came in from doing). Rather than immediately finishing James Salter’s *Light Years*, allow me to share a few things.

First, this is a superb novel about marriage. I’ll spare you the list of superlatives and simply say they all apply.

Eff it: I’ll leave a few links and quotes, make myself a toddy, then finish the novel up. I feel myself bursting.

On James Salter and his “last book”:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/04/15/the-last-book

Jhumpa Lahiri on reading the novel when young and when not so young:

https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2015/06/26/spellbound-2/

A few quotes:

“The book was in her lap; she had read no further. The power to change one’s life comes from a paragraph, a lone remark. The lines that penetrate us are slender, like the flukes that live in river water and enter the bodies of swimmers. She was excited, filled with strength. The polished sentences had arrived, it seemed, like so many other things, at just the right time. How can we imagine what our lives should be without the illumination of the lives of others?”

“But knowledge does not protect one. Life is contemptuous of knowledge; it forces it to sit in the anterooms, to wait outside. Passion, energy, lies: these are what life admires.”

“The days were strewn about him, he was a drunkard of days. He had achieved nothing. He had his life—it was not worth much—not like a life that, though ended, had truly been something. If I had had courage, he thought, if I had had faith. We preserve ourselves as if that were important, and always at the expense of others. We hoard ourselves. We succeed if they fail, we are wise if they are foolish, and we go onward, clutching, until there is no one—we are left with no companion save God. In whom we do not believe. Who we know does not exist.”

“There is no complete life. There are only fragments. We are born to have nothing, to have it pour through our hands. And yet, this pouring, this flood of encounters, struggles, dreams…”

The book:

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/160042/light-years-by-james-salter/

Human

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 05:28PM

1.0 out of 5 stars
  Reviewed in the United States on July 7, 2014
  Verified Purchase
Didn't enjoy this book.  Too depressing.

1.0 out of 5 stars
    Reviewed in the United States on March 10, 2014
    Verified Purchase
I would not recommend this book.  It is pedantic and needlessly obtuse. The characters at times seem to be firmly drawn, but then slide apart.

1.0 out of 5 stars
    Reviewed in the United States on July 19, 2007
    Verified Purchase
I just could not get into this book.  The pace is glacially slow, and the voice painful -- there is a singsong quality that is so sappy I just couldn't read on.  I seem to be in the minority here, so my suggestion to you is to read the first page or two before buying and see if you can stand the voice.  Some people love it, but you may not agree.  I didn't.

1.0 out of 5 stars
    Reviewed in the United States on April 29, 2013
    Verified Purchase
I was never sure if Slater was admiring or condemning the life of the two main characters.  This is most certainly about class and surely a class that many aspire to but in reality is shallow and pointless.  The perfect Christmas, the perfect shirt, the perfect restaurant in Switzerland, the perfect lover ... there is considerably more to life.  The death of these characters brings them no closer to what is essential and important.  Very sad, and hopefully that was the point, if not, it is an extraordinary waste of time and paper.

1.0 out of 5 stars
    Reviewed in the United States on July 30, 2016
    Verified Purchase
This novel has been constructed with a pretentious and annoying style: something to impress the inexperienced reader first flush, but to leave her with nothing more than a slim plot, and a collection of pretty, colorful tableaux.  There is the old house by the Hudson, many lunches and dinners and picnics and the obligatory luscious and sophisticated component parts; the languid afternoons with delightfully constructed scenarios, the infidelities, the silly conversations.

Superficial character portrayals, glancing interest in relationships, and a portentous insistence on remarks about the significance of everything, from the banal to the sublime, often using contradictory opinions, make this reading almost embarrassing.

Throughout it all, an epigrammatic narrative prone to stream of consciousness and fractured settings that reveal no purpose in the end.  Mild sound and no fury, and still signifying nothing.

1.0 out of 5 stars
    Reviewed in the United States on February 14, 2014
    Verified Purchase
A member of my book group recommended Light Years.  We all agreed to read it and by the time we met, even the person who recommended it was less impressed.  I kept thinking that an actual story would break out and every time Salter verged on the creation of plot depth, he pushed away, as if afraid, and continued to chronicle the sad, boring deformation of a marriage and the related family and friends.  He attempts to make up for this lack of plot and the absence of thoughtful discourse with semi-poetic language.  It doesn't make up for it, and it isn't really poetic enough to transform the story.  If you want this kind of poetic novel language, but profoundly well done and with an astonishingly complex plot, read John Hawkes.  If you want this kind of thing but with a superb realistic plot, read Updike or Cheever.  If you want this sort of thing but with imagination and creative exuberance, read Winter's Tale.  But don't read Light Years.

Date: March 29, 2024 05:41PM

LOL!!!

20 pages left and I’m stalling, lingering… Heart is breaking…

Date: March 29, 2024 06:57PM

Finished, at last, my face a bowl of tears…

It’s simple, I love life. All the stupidity of it, all of it, I love it; always have…

I’ll never be ready; at the last, I won’t be ready, I know it…

I love life, I’ll never be ready…

Our lives are so profoundly stupid, at the last!

Human, Man Alive!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 29, 2024 07:01PM

I love life, but I refuse to take it seriously.

Question:  Is there a solid, verifiable, duplicatable difference between people who are capable of being "homesick" and people who are incapable of being "homesick"?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.