Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 30, 2024 06:12AM

Or bishop, for worthiness. In temple recommend interviews, they were the only ones asking questions. Why wasn't I the one probing into their personal lives? Besides the fact that I'm just not nosy.

That seems more important than what I was up to since they had the capacity to mess up a lot more lives than I could.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2024 06:19AM by bradley.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 30, 2024 10:30AM

Agree, Bradley; Excellent Point.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 30, 2024 10:49AM

Also, why weren't you interviewed by a woman half the time?

If you have to "confess" and prove your "worthiness" to them, they should confess their own darn sins to you (I feel the same about Catholic priests). They should make it a two sided trust. It's like checking your doctor's credentials and history and asking him questions.

If people are into spilling their confidences for whatever reason, make sure the person getting potential dirt on you has skin in the game.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 30, 2024 11:00AM

At least a Catholic priest will not divulge your sins (although one could argue that certain sins such as child molestation *should* be reported,) and will not publicly shame you. Confessing sins to a Mormon bishop is a very bad idea indeed.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: March 30, 2024 12:44PM

Exactly.

Looking back on my years as a Mormon I'm mystified that I felt obligated to go to the bishops office for interviews and answer questions about my personal life.

When he was in that office he was the bishop. The rest of the time he was a dentist, realtor, accountant or whatever.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.