Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: April 01, 2024 10:46PM

I took the Salt Lake Express to see the 2017 eclipse. The Salt Lake Express is a bus company that is based in Idaho. When I got to their Rexburg bus station, I noticed that they had Book of Mormons in Spanish, and maybe English, on the counter for the taking. Idaho definitely has a Mormon influence.

I wasn't there to attend BYU-Idaho.

If you leave religion out of it, Idaho is a spectacular state.

Salt Lake Express is a good company, and I have ridden their buses a lot. By listening carefully to what they say, it seems like a fair number of them are Mormons. However, I have never seen them push Mormonism, other than passively at their Rexburg station. I have been to their St. George station, and they don't give out Book of Mormons there.

Maybe they were following the counsel of Ezra Taft Benson to "flood the earth with the Book of Mormon". After all, Benson was from Idaho.

This year I am going to Dallas to see the eclipse. It will probably be a lot more crowded than Rexburg was. Rexburg is a backwoodsy kind of place. Dallas is a huge, sprawling, mainstream city. Mormonism has a greater chance to thrive in the former type of environment than in the latter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 02, 2024 02:02PM

Some Texas counties have already declared a state of emergency beforehand.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: April 02, 2024 02:31PM

"Rexburg is a backwoodsy kind of place. Dallas is a huge, sprawling, mainstream city. Mormonism has a greater chance to thrive in the former type of environment than in the latter."

True, but in Texas you get a different variety of religious zealots. Think "have you accepted Jesus as your lord and savior" types. Ugh It's been a while since I've been there but hard to imagine that they've disappeared.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.