Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: April 03, 2024 07:14PM

I think (or hope) that most of you recognize that a lot of organized religions are behind this.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2024/3/29/2231747/-Inside-the-latest-plot-to-turn-a-generation-against-birth-control?detail=emaildkre&pm_source=DKRE&pm_medium=email

From the article:

"As reported by Lauren Weber and Sabrina Malhi for
The Washington Post:  

block quote
Search for “birth control” on TikTok or Instagram and acascade of misleading videos vilifying hormonal contraception appear: Young women blaming their weight gain on the pill. Right-wing commentators claiming that some birth control can lead to infertility. Testimonials complaining of depression and anxiety.

[...]

Physicians say they’re seeing an explosion of birth-control disinformation online targeting a vulnerable demographic: people in their teens and early 20s who
are more likely to believe what they see on their phones because of algorithms that feed them a stream of videos reinforcing messages often divorced from scientific evidence.
block quote end

But despite its overwhelming acceptance by the medical community, oral contraception has been newly targeted by so-called “influencers” online. Their efforts are having an impact: Doctors, including one interviewed for Weber and Malhi’s article, report seeing patients forced to travel outside of their anti-abortion states to terminate unwanted pregnancies resulting from misinformation they’ve heard about the pill on social media sites. Some of this misinformation
is generated by medically illiterate “health coaches” who appear primarily motivated by the huge number of clicks they generate, while some of it—such as the Peter Thiel-funded
 right-wing women’s magazine “Evie”—is plainly ideological in origin.

As Weber and Malhi report:

block quote
Brett Cooper, a media commentator for the conservative Daily Wire, argued in a viral TikTok clip that birth control can impact fertility, cause women to gain weight and even alter whom they are attracted to. It racked up over 219,000 “likes” before
TikTok removed it following The Post’s inquiry.

In a Daily Wire video, Cooper and political commentator Candace Owens denounce birth-control pills and IUDs as “unnatural,” with Owens saying she’s a “big advocate of getting women to realize this stuff is not normal,” and claiming that viewers of her content told her copper IUDs can harm women’s fertility. Medical experts say there is no evidence birth control impacts fertility long term.
block quote end

The authors note that women of color may be particularly vulnerable to these efforts to foster distrust of birth control, given the medical industry’s history of discrimination and bias in dispensing and recommending birth control methods."

It is disheartening to see the lengths that some people will go to "lie for the Lord" or "to save the white race." Yes, there have been some issues with some forms of birth control with a few women in the past, but they have not affected the majority of women using it. If they had, the items would have been forced off of the market long ago.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 03, 2024 11:44PM

BG, try reading "Earth Abides" (1949).

It only takes a single generation for knowledge to be lost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Abides

I as I've said before, I've tried many times to put myself in the mind of religious fundies and WNs who literally want to go back in time and re-create the social mores of the 1920s.

"Simba" (1955) is a (now dated and very racist) movie about colonial Kenya, but it's the best example that I can think of that shows this kind of thinking and related fear. I can't, but this is close:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hfNG0o6k4s

Another is the infamous "Bonfire Of The Vanities" in Florence in 1497. A religious fanatic cleric named Girolamo Savonarola who became the de facto ruler of Florence who burned art, books, and anything else he considered to be "sinful."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonfire_of_the_vanities

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2024 11:45PM by anybody.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 03, 2024 11:50PM

Any ChurchCo buzz currently on this?

I mean anything stronger / more direct than 'we need to provide bodies for spirits'?

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 04, 2024 12:48AM

Posted by: Jasmine Jet ( )
Date: April 04, 2024 08:15AM

The side effects of birth control pills have been known about for decades. I remember my cousin was complaining about hers over forty years ago. They do little to some women and a lot to others. All medication needs to be watched. This isn't disinfo or misinfo. Many women have trouble with their natural cycles which is why they may be on the pill to begin with.

The main problem is that western women wait too late to have babies. 35-45 comes with more problems than having them in your twenties.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 04, 2024 01:10PM

I see. Western women are the main problem. Let me write that down.

Fighting abortion rights, and fighting contraceptive availability would seem to be mutually contradictory aims, until you reframe it as an effort to control women, instead of an effort to prevent abortion.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: April 04, 2024 08:40AM

No doubt about it. We must "purify" the internet to reflect the truth as I see it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.