Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 06, 2024 01:34PM

Former "Children Of God" cult member Flor Edwards describes her childhood growing up in Father David's cult known today as The Family International.

##########

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Family_International`

According to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, "at its height" the Family movement had "tens of thousands of members, including River and Joaquin Phoenix, Rose McGowan and Jeremy Spencer".[4] TFI initially spread a message of salvation, apocalypticism, spiritual "revolution and happiness" and distrust of the outside world, which the members called The System. Like some other fundamentalist groups, it "foretold the coming of a dictator called the anti-Christ, the rise of a brutal One World Government and its eventual overthrow by Jesus Christ, in the Second Coming".[5]

In 1976,[6] it began a method of evangelism called Flirty Fishing that used sex to "show God's love and mercy" and win converts, resulting in controversy.[7] TFI's founder and prophetic leader, David Berg (who adopted the name "Moses David" while in Laurentide, Canada),[8] and was also referred to "Father David" by members),[5] gave himself the titles of "King", "The Last Endtime Prophet", "Moses", and "David".

-----

##########

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/children-of-god-cult_n_5bfee4a3e4b0e254c926f325

One day, I stopped at the library on my way home from school and picked up an issue of Seventeen Magazine. Flipping through it in my bedroom, I found a feature titled, “Did You Grow Up in a Cult? Take this Quiz and Find Out Now.”

After taking the quiz in what must have been record time, I came to a line that read, “If you have answered ‘yes’ to three or more of these five questions, you may have grown up in a cult.” I had answered yes to all five.

For a moment my world tumbled out of orbit. I knew my upbringing had been unorthodox ― to say the least ― but I had never realized exactly how different my experiences had been compared to those of other kids. As unbelievable as it may seem, it took a silly quiz in a magazine to make me begin to understand what I had been through and who I was because of it. I just kept repeating, “Oh my God! I grew up in a cult. OH MY GOD! I GREW UP IN A CULT!”

-----

(Edited for length)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 06, 2024 02:38PM

"Father David believed he needed a large army to prepare the world for the Great Apocalypse, which he claimed would come in 1993."

I married my first ex wife in 1993. Does that count?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 06, 2024 03:36PM

After my father died, I had to go live with another family member. The first girl to befriend me at my new high school was a member of this cult. The pamphlets that she gave me seemed utterly wacky to me. Eventually I moved on to other, more promising friendships. Later I learned that she did that to every new student. Trust a cult to pick on the vulnerable.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 07, 2024 07:05AM

I'm amazed that more exmos don't create their own cults, knowing how Joseph did it and the perks Joseph had.

Do you want to start a cult with me?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.