Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Quincunx ( )
Date: May 01, 2024 04:24PM

This article claims that Tim Ballard's personal psychic, Janet Russon, was also Russ Ballard's personal psychic. This hasn't been proven in a court of law, but it is part of a lawsuit going on against Tim Ballard and Janet Russon, so it's probably reliable. According to the article the lawsuit states, "Some witnesses have claimed that Janet Russon was President Ballard’s personal psychic, and that President Ballard vouched for her psychic powers." I wish ill on no man, but boy was Russ' death fortuitous for the Church. If you needed a clear signal that the Church hierarchy is off the tracks this seems like a pretty clear signal.

It seems ironic that Russ warned us not to listen to anyone about spiritual matters unless it's from someone called and ordained to a leadership position in the Church. Unless your psychic's name is Janet, that is. Then it's all right.

I nearly choked myself to death laughing when Ballard warned us against get rich schemes which is hilarious coming from him. [Edit: I can just hear him saying, "I know from personal experience just how easy and fun it is to sell our good Church members a bridge."]

Here's a good verse from Micah on these sort of things,
"I will eliminate sorceries from your hand, And you will have no fortune-tellers."
To me, the status of the Church just gets clearer and clearer as more and more things get uncovered.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 01, 2024 04:54PM

Just what every prophet, seer, and revelator needs.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 01, 2024 05:04PM

That seems weird. Psychics are right up there with Ouija boards from what I was taught. You are to get inspiration and revelations from approves sources only!

That's why I think most Mormons here in SE Idaho are able to distance themselves from the Chad and Lori Daybell case. I don't think most Mormons think Daybell's "spirituality" stuff was related to Mormonism.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: May 01, 2024 05:35PM

When a GA doesn't receive revelation and his power of discernment doesn't work, the next best thing is a psychic!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 01, 2024 06:15PM

What article? Can you provide a link?

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: May 01, 2024 06:18PM

The word “article” in the original post is a hyperlink. https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news/ballard-victims-connection-lds-apostle/

ETA this here test <a href=“https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news/ballard-victims-connection-lds-apostle”>test</a>

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2024 06:24PM by Beth.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: May 01, 2024 06:22PM

Bummer

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: May 01, 2024 06:58PM

OK, I'll wait to see what evidence is actually presented in court (if it gets that far). Some of the claims in that article sound a little far fetched - especially the one about the WoW.

“Ballard was, fortuitously given his command to write a book for the Mormon Church declaring that the Word of Wisdom was not true doctrine, thus allowing him to consume excessive amounts of alcohol (tequila) of his own volition,” the lawsuit says."

Ballard may have been writing such a book, but I doubt the church had anything to do with it.

There is also this story:

https://www.abc4.com/news/wasatch-front/tim-ballard-arranged-for-ag-reyes-to-use-cocaine-in-downtown-penthouse-amended-lawsuit-claims/

Not one to defend Ballard, but I find some of these claims hard to believe.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 01, 2024 07:23PM

> Not one to defend Ballard, but I find some of
> these claims hard to believe.

I'd say the same about Russell Ballard. The idea that he is using a psychic seems me to be almost as ridiculous as the notion that he'd share one with Tim Ballard.

Date: May 01, 2024 07:45PM

Agreed.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: May 01, 2024 08:05PM

I also agree, and I'll also offer up the following sentence from the original post:

"I wish ill on no man, but boy was Russ' death fortuitous for the Church."

To paraphrase Winston Churchill, Mr. Nelson may be very old but reports that he is now dead are exaggerated.

Date: May 01, 2024 08:18PM

I think the Russ mentioned in the OP was Russ Ballard, not Russ Nelson. Perhaps we should start referring to Ballard by his first name - Melvin.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 01, 2024 08:24PM

Mel Ballard sounds much less pretentious.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 02, 2024 02:59AM

My parents were friends of Elder Ballard. I spent enough time with him to know he wasn’t seeing any psychic. He was super proud to be a direct descendant of Hiram Smith. The church was his thing. He loved the heritage of it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.