Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: April 20, 2011 10:52PM

Never been big on shaking hands. Not a germophobe but just think it's a nasty bad habit people have in the church that really has no meaning other than to maybe determine if you are a good spirit or bad spirit. Just curious if I'm alone on this. And if I am it's okay, it doesn't change what I think and I won't be too offended. :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: April 20, 2011 10:54PM

I hate it as well I can bearly see and its nasty feeling gross hands.

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: April 20, 2011 10:58PM

Handshakes are normally, as far as myself, done if you have made a business deal, or if you are meeting someone for the first time. i.e. job interview, business aquaintance, etc. As a young girl, I didn't see women shaking hands too much, but, my father, husband, etc. would normally shake hands w/one another and others as well.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: April 20, 2011 11:44PM

Mom just hates them hearty handshakes when she is in pain. It's all she can do not to do somethin awful and disgustingly gross to avoid them, like pick her nose and then go with a big HI THERE! and hold out her hand... betcha no one'd wanta shake her hand then!

Date: April 21, 2011 12:52AM

Lots of handshakes/hugs/smiles, etc in lds church(or the one i attended) as well different rs women would ask name i'd introduce by 1st name and they'd automatically question w/my correct last name. oh well. Means you've been discussed. (but smile in your face)

Date: April 21, 2011 01:04AM

Members become confused if you don't call them sister so and so and then shake their hand. Toward the end I did not extend my hand and that was not acceptable to them. There is a belief in mormonism a hand shake enables one to determine if the person is an evil spirit or a human. It's somewhere in the d and C.

Posted by: beulahland ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 01:07AM

In ancient times, a handshake was a greeting given to indicate that one was unarmed (sort of an 'I come in peace' gesture). Fast forward a few thousand years and the handshake has been twisted and now it IS a weapon. People are jerks.

Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 01:11AM

You talking about the secret "temple handshakes" or just touching in general. You ain't seen a handshake till you tap a fricken little hammer three times and then hear the words "what is wanted?" You ain't been touched till you've been "temple touched!"

Date: April 21, 2011 10:00AM

I've been temple touched but that's not what I'm talking about. Help me out here. Do you remember in the 70's we learned that if you extend your hand and you don't feel it, the person is an evil spirit. A good spirit will not attempt to extend their hand. I believe it was in the DC. Anybody remember this crap?

Date: April 21, 2011 10:02AM

Maybe it is a meaningless gesture for many people.

Date: April 21, 2011 01:55AM

That literally gives chills(along w/other temple rituals) Is that the temple handshake???? "More oddities" what can we say??

Posted by: elderborracho ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 02:02AM

Deb, take a look on youtube and type in "Big Love, temple ceremony." I don't have the link right off hand.

Posted by: bigred ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 02:28AM

blah, blah, blah - what's the biggie

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 06:01AM

Lots of handshakes and hugs once you get out of the US.

Costa Rica hand shake for guys. Meeting a girl, quick kiss on the cheek.

Brasil handshake/hug wrapped into one for all sexes. And opposite sexes meeting each other, kiss on the cheek.

Never worried about handshakes, as long as they don't try and slip me the sure sign or some guys try stroking my fingers or something - just saying.....

Posted by: Rod ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 10:04AM

that is twice the national average, it don't want to shake their hands - like ever.

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: April 21, 2011 10:18AM

I have mentioned several times to people I have Arthritis and would rather not shake hands, particularly since some people feel they have to give you a hearty shake and squeeze.

One man keep grabbing my hand after being asked not too.

The last time he did I told him, rather loudly, Brother Tim, if you grab my had again, you will end up on the floor before you know what happened. I'm not kidding.

FF to the next Sunday, Brother Tim comes up along side me, grabs my hand - plop! On the floor he goes. I kinda lost it, asking "What is wrong wiht you? I asked you to not mash my hand!"

So far, no more hand shakes. 27 years in direct care with mental health ppl finally paid off I guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2011 10:18AM by nomilk.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.